BATFE: Bump-Stock-Type Devices: Notice of proposed rulemaking

What's going on in Washington, D.C.?

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Beiruty
Posts in topic: 1

Re: BATFE: Bump-Stock-Type Devices: Notice of proposed rulemaking

Post by Beiruty »

howdy wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 3:12 pm Fox news reported that the final bump stock law is in effect and there is a 90 days window to get rid of the devices. They must be destroyed or turned in to your local ATF office.
It would not fly in court. They cannot ban cars and ask you destroy or surrender said transportation vehicles.
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 13

Post by The Annoyed Man »

howdy wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 3:12 pm Fox news reported that the final bump stock law is in effect and there is a 90 days window to get rid of the devices. They must be destroyed or turned in to your local ATF office.
https://apnews.com/6c1af80fb290472c89fb930e223505af

The last paragraph of the article says:
The largest manufacturer of bump stocks, Slide Fire Solutions, announced in April that it was going to stop taking orders and shutting down its website. The remaining stock of the devices is now being sold by another company, RW Arms, based in Fort Worth, Texas.
RW Arms has them here.... for now.... : https://www.rwarms.com/product/brands/slidefire/.

I imagine that they’ll sell all of their inventory, all of which will end up at the bottom of lakes all over Texas. But I won’t be one of them. Not even kidding about it.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

mojo84
Posts in topic: 2

Post by mojo84 »

Going to be interesting to see how this turns out. I wonder if anyone has filed a lawsuit challenging this yet? Very interested to learn how many get turned in.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

RicoTX
Posts in topic: 3

Post by RicoTX »

My guess is people will toe the line. The next mass murder with an AR style rifle very well may result in a ban on AR platforms, and guess what, most people will toe the line. Until a large group people decide they have had enough, we will continue to see rights removed. I support the NRA, GOA, SAF, TSRA, etc but let's be realistic - eventually our politicians will get more votes by agreeing with the antis - and that time is coming soon in my opinion - Texas Senate Race anyone?

Sure, we can all get more people to join, to donate, to participate, but I think it's a battle we will lose eventually. At that time, will you have the courage to take action? Will any of us? Some of you reading this are probably shaking your head at me right now - but I am only preparing myself mentally for what may be coming down the line in the next decade (if that).

I'll be curious to see how this plays out in court - we might find out really quick how many true 2A believers we have on the Supreme Court - but if people do have to surrender their bump stocks, it will only encourage the antis even more.

You think there will be a political savior? Lot's of folks on here compare Trump to Reagan. Let's not forget what Reagan supported after he left office (So Called Assault Weapons Ban) and (Brady Bill).

Call me a pessimist if you will, but I see nothing positive coming to 2A rights in the future.
Have your gun rights been expanded in the past 2 years? Sure - we can say they would have been demolished with HRC (and they would have), but that's not progress - we still lost something without gaining anything - and that was with a Republican Controlled Government. So I'm sorry if I sound pessimistic, but in truth I am a realist - in my opinion anyway for what's that worth.
NRA Endowment Life Member
TSRA Member
GOA Member

TexasJohnBoy
Banned

Post by TexasJohnBoy »

mojo84 wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 6:41 pm Going to be interesting to see how this turns out. I wonder if anyone has filed a lawsuit challenging this yet? Very interested to learn how many get turned in.
Gun Owners of America and Firearms Policy Coalition have so far. I expect a few more.
https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2018/ ... stock-ban/
TSRA Member since 5/30/15; NRA Member since 10/31/14

TexasJohnBoy
Banned

Post by TexasJohnBoy »

RicoTX wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 6:54 pm Have your gun rights been expanded in the past 2 years? Sure - we can say they would have been demolished with HRC (and they would have), but that's not progress - we still lost something without gaining anything - and that was with a Republican Controlled Government. So I'm sorry if I sound pessimistic, but in truth I am a realist - in my opinion anyway for what's that worth.
Would they? Today with the stroke of a pen, which we all really hated when Obama said he would use his pen and phone, Donald J. Trump did more to erode the 2nd Amendment than Obama did.

Sure, Obama attempted to dilute things through operation choke point. He tried really hard to make all gun owners look like horrible heartless people. He gave away guns to drug dealers. But today, the Trump Administration set up a precedent to unilaterally redefine portions of federal law because the President feels like it. Not only that, but redefine the law (really just regulations, this is't even really law, but that's a whole other discussion) AFTER an alphabet agency ruled twice (under a democratic administration) that said accessory was *not* a machine gun. Whats next? I mean, the Pandora's Box is open. You're kidding yourself if you think the next Democratic President won't look back at this and say it's an executive precedent now.

I am hopeful that the Judiciary sees fit to strike this down on its face. This is a blatant reinterpretation of the law because a single person in the White house doesn't like what the Legislature put into law. The only good thing that could come of this is a judicial review of the NFA or GCA which finds those laws unconstitutional.

I'm extremely perturbed today. And it's really made me question how I will handle my ballot in March of 2020.
TSRA Member since 5/30/15; NRA Member since 10/31/14

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 6

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

Some who claim to be Second Amendment supporters do far more damage to our issue than those who claim to be gun control supporters. Take that crap to HuffPost, CNN or any left wing group you choose. It's not going to be here one minute longer.

Chas.

Return to “Federal”