Topic author
TexasJohnBoy
Banned
Posts in topic: 3

Gun control hearing in the Senate

Post by TexasJohnBoy »

Umm, what?

https://www-m.cnn.com/2019/03/07/politi ... index.html
Sen. Lindsey Graham, the chairman of the powerful Judiciary committee and a close ally of the President's -- told CNN on Wednesday that his committee will hold a hearing on gun control legislation later this month, a rare move in a Republican-controlled chamber.
TSRA Member since 5/30/15; NRA Member since 10/31/14

AF-Odin
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Gun control hearing in the Senate

Post by AF-Odin »

I will withhold judgement at this time. Most of the Red Flag laws I have seen proposed do not. in my opinion. provide enough safeguards for the accused. too much area for vindictive ex-spouses, angry neighbors, or just plain old anti-gun folks to decide to go off on a gun owner who has done nothing jus to make him have to pay for an attorney and go to court to PROVE that he is innocent. Will see what Graham comes up with, but I am wary.
AF-Odin
Texas LTC, SSC & FRC Instructor
NRA Pistol, Home Firearms Safety, Personal Protection in the Home Instructor & RSO
NRA & TSRA Life Member

WTR
Banned
Posts in topic: 2

Post by WTR »

AF-Odin wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 7:57 pm I will withhold judgement at this time. Most of the Red Flag laws I have seen proposed do not. in my opinion. provide enough safeguards for the accused. too much area for vindictive ex-spouses, angry neighbors, or just plain old anti-gun folks to decide to go off on a gun owner who has done nothing jus to make him have to pay for an attorney and go to court to PROVE that he is innocent. Will see what Graham comes up with, but I am wary.
Heck, 78% of people in TX approve of a Red Flag law for TX. May need to look up North somewhere.

Topic author
TexasJohnBoy
Banned

Post by TexasJohnBoy »

AF-Odin wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 7:57 pm I will withhold judgement at this time. Most of the Red Flag laws I have seen proposed do not. in my opinion. provide enough safeguards for the accused. too much area for vindictive ex-spouses, angry neighbors, or just plain old anti-gun folks to decide to go off on a gun owner who has done nothing jus to make him have to pay for an attorney and go to court to PROVE that he is innocent. Will see what Graham comes up with, but I am wary.
The latest We Like Shooting podcast had Lesley Hollywood from Rally for our Rights on, and they were discussing the proposed ERPO bill in CO. It sound's horrible.

Topic author
TexasJohnBoy
Banned

Post by TexasJohnBoy »

WTR wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 8:02 pm Heck, 78% of people in TX approve of a Red Flag law for TX. May need to look up North somewhere.
Where did that stat come from? That seems awfully high to me

WTR
Banned
Posts in topic: 2

Post by WTR »

TexasJohnBoy wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 8:16 pm
WTR wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 8:02 pm Heck, 78% of people in TX approve of a Red Flag law for TX. May need to look up North somewhere.
Polled reported on Austin news channel tonight. Showed 48% support expanded background checks.

flechero

Post by flechero »

WTR wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 8:28 pm
TexasJohnBoy wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 8:16 pm
Polled reported on Austin news channel tonight. Showed 48% support expanded background checks.
Stats like that are easy to find in a battered women's shelter... stats are so easy to manipulate that it;s hard to believe any of them sometimes

jason812

Post by jason812 »

The Republicans have to do something or else the media and the dems will call them names.
In certain extreme situations, the law is inadequate. In order to shame its inadequacy, it is necessary to act outside the law to pursue a natural justice.

powerboatr

Post by powerboatr »

lonestar144 wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 8:36 pm
That was a poll in the the communist controlled city of Austin and probably targeted the left leaning side, no wonder the results were so high. Do the same poll state wide with no targeted audience and you will get a very lower number.
yep they probably just walked the street corners and asked all the bums begging for money, omg i despise going to austin anymore

.02 with the red flag law is like mentioned above is retribution for the accused to take it to the rear end that filed or called saying your a danger.
1st they come take your firearms, then 10-20 days later you get a court hearing, of which now you shelled out thousands to build a defense.
judge decides in your favor, and you get your firearms back in another 10-20 days because of course no body knows really were they are, or the DA is not convinced and purposely delays return.
so three months go by and your firearms are returned and they are of course damaged from nuggets not knowing how to verify they are safe, without of course damage, or they were tossed in a bin to rattle around.
then your course of action is to file civil suit against the thug that called in on you...more money spent and nothing happens to the thug that called in the complaint. so then you are left with a few choices and one is two to the head of said thug, which then equals a long sentence or lethal injection because of a lie that your neighbor started because they dont like your car, dog, plants, etc.
or you let it go and have spent thousands to clear your name of a situation that never existed.
there has to be strong and very swift action against those who out of spite, place a call and get you in hot water.

you may laugh...but my neighbor hood is filled with the thugs i described, they create rumors and try to base them on made of facts all the time.
Proud to have served for over 22 Years in the U.S. Navy Certificated FAA A&P technician since 1996

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

jason812 wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 9:37 pm The Republicans have to do something or else the media and the dems will call them names.
You’re repeating yourself. :mrgreen:
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

LeonCarr

Post by LeonCarr »

I believe it was Will Rogers who said there are lies, damn lies, and statistics.

Just my .02,
LeonCarr
"Whitetail Deer are extinct because of rifles with telescopes mounted on them." - My 11th Grade English Teacher

K.Mooneyham

Post by K.Mooneyham »

powerboatr wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 9:41 pm
lonestar144 wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 8:36 pm
That was a poll in the the communist controlled city of Austin and probably targeted the left leaning side, no wonder the results were so high. Do the same poll state wide with no targeted audience and you will get a very lower number.
yep they probably just walked the street corners and asked all the bums begging for money, omg i despise going to austin anymore

.02 with the red flag law is like mentioned above is retribution for the accused to take it to the rear end that filed or called saying your a danger.
1st they come take your firearms, then 10-20 days later you get a court hearing, of which now you shelled out thousands to build a defense.
judge decides in your favor, and you get your firearms back in another 10-20 days because of course no body knows really were they are, or the DA is not convinced and purposely delays return.
so three months go by and your firearms are returned and they are of course damaged from nuggets not knowing how to verify they are safe, without of course damage, or they were tossed in a bin to rattle around.
then your course of action is to file civil suit against the thug that called in on you...more money spent and nothing happens to the thug that called in the complaint. so then you are left with a few choices and one is two to the head of said thug, which then equals a long sentence or lethal injection because of a lie that your neighbor started because they dont like your car, dog, plants, etc.
or you let it go and have spent thousands to clear your name of a situation that never existed.
there has to be strong and very swift action against those who out of spite, place a call and get you in hot water.

you may laugh...but my neighbor hood is filled with the thugs i described, they create rumors and try to base them on made of facts all the time.
My thought about "red flag laws", which I have said before, is that they will be used during acrimonious divorce proceedings to get court sympathy. Making the other party seem like a dangerous threat has been used before, this gives another avenue for that. "Your honor, my client had to file a "RED FLAG" against her spouse, he's such a danger to her, and he had all those guns!" During my 20 years in the USAF, I saw a few nasty divorces where good troops got the worst of it. And with all the branches of the US military treating the tiniest thing as instant fact when it comes to harassment or assault, no matter how unsubstantiated, well, I can only see it getting worse where these laws are in effect. Mark my words, the lives of good people will be ruined, and military careers will too, by these "red flag" laws.

Return to “Federal”