Rep. Michael Burgess may be dangerous

What's going on in Washington, D.C.?

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
LDB415
Posts in topic: 2

Rep. Michael Burgess may be dangerous

Post by LDB415 »

I don't know anything about this guy other than he was the one republican in the House to vote with the democrats to lower the voting age to 16. If he's that stupid and gullible on that important an issue who knows what he might do on 2A and other important issues. His district maybe should be seriously looking for a replacement.

https://dailycaller.com/2019/03/08/hous ... s1mwPwEUbw
It's fine if you disagree. I can't force you to be correct.
NRA Life Member, TSRA Life Member, GSSF Member
A pistol without a round chambered is an expensive paper weight.

jason812
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Rep. Michael Burgess may be dangerous

Post by jason812 »

When I was 16 I thought I should be able to vote. Now that I'm 40, I realize that would have been a mistake.

I say raise it to 21 unless in the armed forces. While we're at it, abolish the 17th amendment too.
In certain extreme situations, the law is inadequate. In order to shame its inadequacy, it is necessary to act outside the law to pursue a natural justice.

strogg

Post by strogg »

It is a known, verifiable fact that people's ability to truly understand and account for future consequences of prior actions doesn't happen until about 18 years of age. And thanks to the current educational system, iTouchPodPadPhones or what have you, mental development may actually take longer. In my opinion, knowing what I know now and knowing how I thought and behaved back in high school and college, I truly believe that the legal voting age should be at a minimum of 21. No exceptions.

Scott65

Post by Scott65 »

At a minimum 21. Even then they'll lack the experience to understand big picture, long term cause and effect.

Jusme

Post by Jusme »

All rights should be applied equally. If you want to lower the voting age, fine, lower the drinking age, the age at which one can sign legal contracts, the age at which one can purchase firearms, the age at which one can be conscripted for military service, the age at which one can marry, ad nauseum.
If you are not willing to give equal rights, across the board, based on age, then leave it alone. JMHO
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

Liberty
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Liberty »

Jusme wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2019 7:58 pm All rights should be applied equally. If you want to lower the voting age, fine, lower the drinking age, the age at which one can sign legal contracts, the age at which one can purchase firearms, the age at which one can be conscripted for military service, the age at which one can marry, ad nauseum.
If you are not willing to give equal rights, across the board, based on age, then leave it alone. JMHO
There was a time I served in the US Army, pressured in because of the threat of conscription. Could be held legally accountable as an adult, previously worked a full time job and helped my mom support my 4 younger siblings. I wasn't permitted to vote nor have a beer in my home town.

At age 17 I was a full time student working at an IHOP. I was forced to break curfew so I could drive home. I was bitter then. My crimes were being an adult not old enough. I think we grow up just as fast as we are forced too. We want to punnish hard working 18-21 year olds because of the 35 year old stoners living in Mommy's basement while playing video games all day. The 35 year old stoner probably isn't goinna leave the house to vote anyway.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

skeathley

Post by skeathley »

No voting until 30.

:tiphat:
Texas LTC Instructor / RSO / SSC
Viet Nam Veteran: 25th Infantry, Cu Chi
https://mckinneyfirearmstraining.com

ScottDLS

Post by ScottDLS »

Jusme wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2019 7:58 pm All rights should be applied equally. If you want to lower the voting age, fine, lower the drinking age, the age at which one can sign legal contracts, the age at which one can purchase firearms, the age at which one can be conscripted for military service, the age at which one can marry, ad nauseum.
:iagree:

And I also suggest 18. The longer you delay the responsibilities and privileges of adulthood, the longer people behave like children and vote like children.
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

srothstein

Post by srothstein »

I am a firm believer that whatever age we choose, we should only have one age for adulthood. Whether the question is attending school, signing contracts, buying guns, consenting to sex, voting, serving in the military, going to jail instead of juvie, or anything else, you should either be an adult or not at one age. I remember way back when I got married. I was serving on active duty in the Army and had bought a new Jeep with a loan. I had also already bought rifles though i could not buy pistols (or ammo for the 22 rifle without extra paperwork). And I could not have a drink to celebrate any of it. Something never made any sense to me about that.

And the latest science that I am aware of says that we should choose an age around 25. As I understand it, and this is not my field, the parts of the brain that control judgement do not fully mature until the person is in their mid-20's, around 25. If we go with medical science, we raise the age of adulthood to 25.

Realistically, I think 18 is just fine.
Steve Rothstein

Liberty

Post by Liberty »

If I remember right, when they dropped the drinkin age from 21 to 18. Drunk driving incidents dropped. When they later increased the age there was no statiscal increase.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

Topic author
LDB415
Posts in topic: 2

Post by LDB415 »

The older the better for voting, perhaps equal to the minimum age for holding the office. If you aren't old enough to be president until 35 maybe you aren't old enough to vote for president either.
It's fine if you disagree. I can't force you to be correct.
NRA Life Member, TSRA Life Member, GSSF Member
A pistol without a round chambered is an expensive paper weight.

Liberty

Post by Liberty »

We ask young people to sacrifice for their country sometimes with their very lives. To ask these things without allowing them a say-so in how their government is run is asking too much.
Liberty''s Blog

PriestTheRunner

Post by PriestTheRunner »

Liberty wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2019 8:28 pm We ask young people to sacrifice for their country sometimes with their very lives. To ask these things without allowing them a say-so in how their government is run is asking too much.
Which is why military service should also wait until the age of 21- Training excluded.

But then again I don't believe we have constitutional authority to have a standing military with the exception of Officers....

Return to “Federal”