July '08 Applications

So, your CHL Application has been filed and the clock has slowed to a crawl - tell us about it!

Moderator: carlson1

Posts in topic: 1

Re: July '08 Applications

Post by 1130 »

07-19-08: Class Taken
07-29-08: Application Received by DPS
08- 26-08: Application Processing
10-29-08: Status: Application Completed - license issued or certificate active
10-31-08: Plastic in hand, new style license

usdave1t
Posts in topic: 6

Post by usdave1t »

heavymetalman wrote:Whoo Hoo! When I checked on my status this morning It changed to: "Application Completed - license issued or certificate active"

I received a reponse back from the Governor's office on Oct. 27:
Thank you for taking the time to contact the Office of the Governor. I am asking Major Stan Clark, Interim Director of the Texas Department of Public Safety, for his staff’s assistance in reviewing and responding both to you and this office on the information shared.Please let us know whenever we may be of service in the future.

Sincerely,
Dede Keith
Constituent Communication Division
Office of the Governor
That is interesting......I contacted the governors office on Nov 3rd and got the same response from them on Nov 4th. Maybe....just maybe my plastic will turn up soon (fingers crossed!)......we will see.....of course despite many requests I have yet to receive my pin so can not even check the status of my application!!
07/12 CHL Class
07/17 Mailed Package
07/21 Package at DPS
11/03 Email to The Governors Office
11/04 Response from Governors Office
11/07 Received PIN - Processing Application
11/08 Application Completed - license issued or certificate active
11/10 Plastic in Hand

usdave1t

Post by usdave1t »

usdave1t wrote:
heavymetalman wrote:Whoo Hoo! When I checked on my status this morning It changed to: "Application Completed - license issued or certificate active"

I received a reponse back from the Governor's office on Oct. 27:
Thank you for taking the time to contact the Office of the Governor. I am asking Major Stan Clark, Interim Director of the Texas Department of Public Safety, for his staff’s assistance in reviewing and responding both to you and this office on the information shared.Please let us know whenever we may be of service in the future.

Sincerely,
Dede Keith
Constituent Communication Division
Office of the Governor
That is interesting......I contacted the governors office on Nov 3rd and got the same response from them on Nov 4th. Maybe....just maybe my plastic will turn up soon (fingers crossed!)......we will see.....of course despite many requests I have yet to receive my pin so can not even check the status of my application!!
So I received my PIN in the mail last night, 11/7 and duly checked the status online - 'Processing Application'. This morning, less than 12 hours later I checked it again and 'Application Completed - license issued or certificate active' :thewave

All I can say is if you are still waiting, go ahead and contact the governors office....

Will see how long it takes to get my plastic in hand! :hurry: :hurry: :hurry: :hurry: :hurry: :hurry:
07/12 CHL Class
07/17 Mailed Package
07/21 Package at DPS
11/10 Plastic in Hand

usdave1t

Post by usdave1t »

WhooHooo! Plastic in Hand - arrived UPS Next Day Air :thewave :thewave :anamatedbanana :anamatedbanana

......mmm Air from Austin to Houston?
07/12 CHL Class
07/17 Mailed Package
07/21 Package at DPS
11/10 Plastic in Hand

cwood3

Post by cwood3 »

.................so are there any July applicants from Harris County that are still in waiting? Or has July been cleared out and DPS is just skipping all remaining Harris County applicants?????????????????????? :rules:
CHL Class - August 2
DPS Receives - August 11
Processing App.....
November 12......Processing App
November 26 - Will Slit Wrists

lnghorn96

Post by lnghorn96 »

Hey everyone, I've been lurking on this site off and on for quite some time. I really enjoy reading the threads on the many different topics on this board. I've waited to post because I wanted to wait until I finally got my CHL. Well, here's my story. I took the class with my father-in-law and my brother back on June 27th and 28th. I hadn't done my online application at that point so I did it in the days following the course. By the time I got everything together to send my packet off it was the middle of July (I have the exact dates written down, but not with me at the moment). About a month or so later, I got the dreaded letter in the mail about having to have my finger prints redone (this was a few days before IKE). I finally was able to get my prints redone around the end of September, and I sent the new ones in Oct. 1st. I've been waiting patiently for the last 5 weeks or so, but I do have to admit to checking the online status at least once a day lol :waiting: I checked the status last night around 11:45 and it still said "Processing Application." Today at work, I had a few minutes to kill so I figured I'd check the status again just for kicks. I typed in the information and was expecting to see that they were still processing the application, but it said....."Application Completed - license issued or certificate active"!!!! I'm so excited right now it's unreal!! :clapping: :anamatedbanana :woohoo Now the second waiting game begins.....checking the mail every day as soon as I get home from work lol :waiting: :totap:

As a side note, my father in law sent his packet in on June 30th and had his plastic in hand sometime in the middle of August :mad5 :grumble

My brother is still waiting to send his packet in for some reason. :???: :confused5 :headscratch I've told him a dozen or two times to hurry up and send his packet in before January 20th rolls around.
6/27 Application Completed Online
6/27-6/28 Completed CHL Course
7/18 Packet Mailed to DPS
7/23 Received Confirmation of Delivery by USPS
7/27 Wait for plastic continues

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

lnghorn96 wrote:Hey everyone, I've been lurking on this site off and on for quite some time. I really enjoy reading the threads on the many different topics on this board. I've waited to post because I wanted to wait until I finally got my CHL. Well, here's my story. I took the class with my father-in-law and my brother back on June 27th and 28th. I hadn't done my online application at that point so I did it in the days following the course. By the time I got everything together to send my packet off it was the middle of July (I have the exact dates written down, but not with me at the moment). About a month or so later, I got the dreaded letter in the mail about having to have my finger prints redone (this was a few days before IKE). I finally was able to get my prints redone around the end of September, and I sent the new ones in Oct. 1st. I've been waiting patiently for the last 5 weeks or so, but I do have to admit to checking the online status at least once a day lol :waiting: I checked the status last night around 11:45 and it still said "Processing Application." Today at work, I had a few minutes to kill so I figured I'd check the status again just for kicks. I typed in the information and was expecting to see that they were still processing the application, but it said....."Application Completed - license issued or certificate active"!!!! I'm so excited right now it's unreal!! :clapping: :anamatedbanana :woohoo Now the second waiting game begins.....checking the mail every day as soon as I get home from work lol :waiting: :totap:

As a side note, my father in law sent his packet in on June 30th and had his plastic in hand sometime in the middle of August :mad5 :grumble

My brother is still waiting to send his packet in for some reason. :???: :confused5 :headscratch I've told him a dozen or two times to hurry up and send his packet in before January 20th rolls around.
Let me be the first to welcome you as an official member for the forum lnghorn96. Hope the mailman delivers your CHL swiftly.

Now that you are official, don't be a stranger and join in on the discussions! :thumbs2:
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

bkjunk
Posts in topic: 3

Post by bkjunk »

After an email to DPS three weeks ago, I got an immediate response that my application was on their desk and they would complete it and send it out, I should get my license in 7 - 10 days. Two weeks later I emailed for a status and got a replay that he was sorry for the delay and he would get it out that day. Well they were finally true to their word and today it showed up in the mail.

Here is my time line (and my wife's)

My Wife
07/02 Class Taken
07/09 Application Mailed
07/10 Application Received
08/09 Pin Received
09/09 Plastic Received

Me
07/02 Class Taken
07/09 Request for certified copies of previous transgressions sent to Hayes county
07/25 Certified copies received
07/28 Application Mailed
07/29 Application Received
08/15 Pin Received
10/31 Emailed DPS, they said its approved and on its way, give it 7-10 days.
11/14 Email again, they apologized for they delay and said that it would be sent out that day.
11/21 Finally, plastic in hand. :thewave

txfnp01

Post by txfnp01 »

txfnp01- Just recieved my CHL--- took class 6/21
mailed paperwork 7/5
rec'd pin 8/8
Hurr. Ike letter 9/26
Process. app 10/26
App comp-license issued 11/21
License in hand 11/24
Yahoo!!!!!!!!!! only 143 days Spring,Tx

mrbill
Posts in topic: 10

Post by mrbill »

Finally called just now to check on my app.

Last time I called (a couple months ago) I got a grouchy, crankly lady who read off a spiel about how, due to the hurricane, my app could take "an undefinite time" to get finished and that they were waiting on the background check.

This time, I got a really nice lady who looked at my record, said "Oh lord, let's see what's happening here" and then said "They're still waiting on the background check, coming out of the Gulf Coast area - that should hopefully be done within the next week."

We'll see...

Class: June 28th
Sent Packet: July 5th
Packet Received: July 8th
PIN received: August 12th
Still Processing: November 25 (day 141)

LittleGun

Post by LittleGun »

I got my CHL license today. They made a mistake on my height, so I have to get that corrected. I mailed my application on July 14, so it took between 4 and 5 months In the meantime, I can carry. Interestingly, last week I sent a nice email, asking about the long wait. I got a quick response saying that my application was waiting on a background check. A week later my license arrived. It might have been coincidental. I doubt that a nice email can speed a background check.

etodd
Posts in topic: 4

Post by etodd »

How Long Does It Take…

Like many of us I heard nothing from DPS for ages. Received “The Excuse Letter,”
You know the one, “My dog ate your application, the Hurricane has caused immeasurable delay, etc. etc. etc.” I wrote a nice letter to The Governors’ office which was followed up within three hours with a nice reply, “I am asking blah, blah, blah to check into your concerns, etc.” The same one you all have received.

By the first week in November I resorted to calling Austin again to hear, “we are waiting on your background check… Harris County… etc.”

Then, out of the blue, on November 19, my status moved to “Application Completed – license issued or certificate active!”

Then yesterday 25 November it happened, the postman brought the State of Texas envelope; but as I ran my fingers over it anticipating the feel of plastic within, NOTHING!

My letter was a copy of a reply to the Governors’ office telling me/them why my license was taking so long. Something to do with the great influx of applications in June and July and something else about the dog eating….

Oh well, maybe next week

etodd
22 June, Online Application
6 July, Completed Class
7 July, Mailed Packet to Austin, day 1
7 August, Processing Application
19 November, Application Completed – license issued or certificate active
26 November, still no plastic! 142 days and counting

mrbill

Post by mrbill »

I'm at Day 144 (waiting on the HC background check) and am starting to wish that I was back in Oklahoma.

In the county where I grew up, my mother is the local LEO (Sheriff's Office) responsible for signing off on CHL permit applications. :lol:

Wife and I bought her a S&W 6904 for a Christmas present last year, and I told her that she had one of the very few jobs where she
could open the package and start showing off her new gun, right there in the office...

rkl56119

Post by rkl56119 »

Class: June 14, 2008
Mailed: June 16, 2008
Letter from DPS stating it might take more time: September
Still waiting....

mrbill

Post by mrbill »

Harris County people - Here's what "pdubyoo" said in the September Applications Thread. I believe that it's worth re-posting.
Anyway, I received a call today from a Leut. from the Texas Highway Patrol here in Harris County, following-up on a letter that I sent to my Rep. He said that the chief of staff from my Reps office called him to ask about the status of my application.

Now, here's where all the Harris County applicants really need to pay attention! He works in the same office as the "Trooper" that processes the CHL background checks for Harris County, but she was currently unavailable as she is serving as an honor guard at an officer's funeral today. But that he would personally check with her later this week when she gets settled back into her routine, and will call me back by Friday at the latest. He was very nice and accomodating, so I asked him about the staff that processes the applications...how many people are currently working in that role? He said, only Trooper ___. He said that it is her full-time job...processing CHL application BC's for Harris County. :headscratch I was sure that I misunderstood him, so I asked him again to clarify, and yes, it's only one person that handles the CHL BC's for Harris County. Whoa! So, since he was being so enlightening, I asked how hurricane Ike effected her job. He said that Trooper ____ was reassigned for 5-6 weeks to hurricane duty immediately after the storm, and that, during that time, nobody was processing those CHL BC's. Another Whoa! :confused5 :grumble

So, there you go...Harris County is at least 5-6 weeks behind due to Ike, and then, anytime that she takes off for other responsibilities, such as today, the BC's go untouched.

I will share more after I hear back from the Leut. I have a name of the Trooper, but I'm not going to make it public, as it's not quite fair to her. More later...

Return to “The "Waiting Room"”