New member to the waiting room

So, your CHL Application has been filed and the clock has slowed to a crawl - tell us about it!

Moderator: carlson1

wrt45
Posts in topic: 1

Post by wrt45 »

rgoldy wrote:I would suggest that to anyone who is renewing Longtooth. It appears that the folks up there in Austin are working as hard as they can, but with limited resources they are running behind. Everyone should plan ahead, check your packets contents to make sure it is complete and accurate before you mail it. Look at the photo and the fingerprint cards, if they look bad to you they probably will look bad to them as well. Make sure you signed where you should etc. Mainly do everything you can to make sure it is easy to process the first time through. And, especially, don't wait until the last minute to take the class and send the stuff in. I am a firm believer in spending a little more for the class to get one where they do all the prep for you. Most of them will also check your paperwork to make sure it is done properly.
As an instructor I would certianly agree with everything you've said about checking and double checking signatures, photo's etc.

But I have a little problem with:
It appears that the folks up there in Austin are working as hard as they can, but with limited resources they are running behind.
The office is obviously in chaos. Packets are being routinely lost, misplaced, dropped. Pictures and fingerprints are being returned as defective, when they are not. Just last week I had a student bring me his letter which stated, "Photo must have a white background." It did, the same exact background that the other pictures from the class had. It was a delay, nothing more.

And limited resources? We have one of the most expensive CHL's in the nation. Do the math. They are working with a large resource in the fees that are charged. Inefficiency and disorganization, perhaps, but it's not from a lack of resources.

Personally, my last renewal was lost in their office for almost 2 months. They said, "It never arrived." But they had signed for it from the post office. To their credit, when they finally found it, they rushed it through, and apologized profusely. But still, it is happening too often.

There are some very nice, very hard working people in the office, and they have never been rude, short or disrespectful toward me. I have met most all of them, and they're a good bunch of folks.

But the experience of too many of my students, myself, and others that I talk to, tells me that something is seriously wrong in that office.

longtooth
Posts in topic: 9

Post by longtooth »

Gentlemen, my intentions are to begin the day I am legally able to start the process. The extra $$$ is no deal. I have told that to people taking the class. It is not worth the hassel. At the price of gas today, going another place for prints, then another for photo is spending the same money & way more time. The instructor I & all my family have used really check things out. He tells you everything to do step by step & then looks at it himself. When they get mine they should have 5 mo & 2 weeks to get it in the mail. Thanks for all the warning so we can make sure we start early.
Carry 24-7 or guess right.
CHL Instructor. http://www.pdtraining.us" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
NRA/TSRA Life Member - TFC Member #11

rgoldy
Posts in topic: 2

Post by rgoldy »

I have not met personally any of the folks who work in the CHL office in Austin. Likewise I do not have any personal knowledge of what the situation is within the office in terms of efficiency of the people or what equipment they have available or do not have available. My comments were based on some experience from within and without of government offices and bureaucratic organization. Based on those impressions, I doubt that the amount of money we send in for licenses stays to run that office. I doubt also that the office is allocated the needed number of personnel to expedite the process. I certainly sympathize with your situation on the lost packet. I would very likely be HOT over it as well. I can only reinforce that the contacts I have had in that office have never indicated anything except the courtesy, friendliness, and attitude of helpfulness that was mentioned elsewhere.
Lead, follow, or get out of the way.
JOIN NRA[/i] JOIN TSRA

longtooth

Post by longtooth »

We will do all we can to keep you intertained, occupied, & excited until you final day.
CHL Instructor. http://www.pdtraining.us" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Diode
Posts in topic: 14

Post by Diode »

longtooth wrote:We will do all we can to keep you intertained, occupied, & excited until you final day.
Are you going to dance again?

:shock:

longtooth

Post by longtooth »

Not on this bad knee. :lol: That was an old black & white picture from 2nd grade that was put into color when they did Wizzard of OZ.

Topic author
spud
Posts in topic: 8

Post by spud »

evil_smurf wrote:*sets the timer*
Set one for 65 days on my cellphone when I sent it off

Topic author
spud
Posts in topic: 8

Post by spud »

I got my PIN in 3 days. Just send a nice email :)

Bones3

Post by Bones3 »

spud wrote:I got my PIN in 3 days. Just send a nice email :)
Who did you have to bribe? Never heard of Austin issuing a PIN that quick.
:?:
Bones
Texas CHL Holder

panic911

Post by panic911 »

Panic911....taking a number.

Anyone willing to let me cut in line :grin:

longtooth

Post by longtooth »

Probably not a chance but I guess it never hurts to ask. Nobody has yet. Answer is going to be "you can be next right after me." :lol:

Return to “The "Waiting Room"”