"Waiting Room"

So, your CHL Application has been filed and the clock has slowed to a crawl - tell us about it!

Moderator: carlson1

User avatar

Grundy1133
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 26
Posts: 915
Joined: Wed Mar 07, 2018 2:18 pm
Location: Gainesville

Re: "Waiting Room"

#6211

Post by Grundy1133 » Wed Mar 14, 2018 2:47 pm

Grundy1133 wrote:
PriestTheRunner wrote:
PriestTheRunner wrote:Class Completed: 2/24/18
Application Started and Submitted: 2/24/18
Fingerprints Completed: 2/28/18
Fingerprints Received by State: 3/2
Background Check Approved: 3/7/18
- Currently Pending Print -

Hopefully plastic in hand later this week!

Time to full approval (but not printed) after everything was submitted, 7 days... Not bad. :)

Class Completed: 2/24/18
Application Started and Submitted: 2/24/18
Fingerprints Completed: 2/28/18
Fingerprints Received by State: 3/2
Background Check Approved: 3/7/18
Switched to Card Mailed: 3/13/18

Hopefully plastic in hand tomorrow!
2/24 class
2/27 fingerprints
2/28 BG check pending
3/12 BG check green/print pending

looks like you're ahead of me lol
3/14 print pending STILL.... how longs it take to print? lol
Image
NRA Member

User avatar

Grundy1133
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 26
Posts: 915
Joined: Wed Mar 07, 2018 2:18 pm
Location: Gainesville

Re: "Waiting Room"

#6212

Post by Grundy1133 » Wed Mar 14, 2018 6:44 pm

PriestTheRunner wrote:
(Keep in mind the ATF approvals or California's may-issue policies, Texas' 60-day requirement is downright generous).
thats why im glad I was texas born and texas bred. :txflag:
also I've read people saying that their application status never changed from "Print pending" and one day they just received their license in the mail. So I feel as tho the application status page on their site isn't 100% accurate. Either way it shouldn't be too long now (hopefully)
Image
NRA Member

User avatar

Grundy1133
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 26
Posts: 915
Joined: Wed Mar 07, 2018 2:18 pm
Location: Gainesville

Re: "Waiting Room"

#6213

Post by Grundy1133 » Thu Mar 15, 2018 9:51 am

2/24 class
2/27 fingerprints
2/28 BG check pending
3/12 BG check green/print pending
3/15 Mailed
:cheers2: :cheers2: :cheers2:
Image
NRA Member

User avatar

PriestTheRunner
Member
Posts in topic: 8
Posts: 166
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2018 5:33 pm

Re: "Waiting Room"

#6214

Post by PriestTheRunner » Thu Mar 15, 2018 8:29 pm

PriestTheRunner wrote:
PriestTheRunner wrote:...
...
Class Completed: 2/24/18
Application Started and Submitted: 2/24/18
Fingerprints Completed: 2/28/18
Fingerprints Received by State: 3/2/18
Background Check Approved: 3/7/18
Switched to Card Mailed: 3/13/18
Plastic in Hand: 3/15/18

3 Business days, 7 Full days from all items received to pass BG Check
5 Business days, 7 Full days from bg check ok'd to plastic in hand.

From reading this thread, probably one of the faster turns from the office. Just documenting so future newbs know what to expect as a general best-case-scenario.

:cheers2:

:txflag:

User avatar

PriestTheRunner
Member
Posts in topic: 8
Posts: 166
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2018 5:33 pm

Re: "Waiting Room"

#6215

Post by PriestTheRunner » Thu Mar 15, 2018 8:30 pm

Grundy1133 wrote:...
Congrats! :txflag:


thinkmac
Junior Member
Posts in topic: 7
Posts: 12
Joined: Wed Feb 28, 2018 9:50 pm

Re: "Waiting Room"

#6216

Post by thinkmac » Thu Mar 15, 2018 9:46 pm

PriestTheRunner wrote:
Grundy1133 wrote:
Grundy1133 wrote: 3/14 print pending STILL.... how longs it take to print? lol
They probably also only print in batches. During work hours. On work days...

If you combine the variations it could look like this:

Background check (easy): 2 days to 6 days depending on the investigator and county that the LTC potential holder resides in.
Background check (hard): 5 days to 45 days if there are multiple locations, jobs etc- or if any one county has less-than-gun-friendly reporting guidelines in house (IE- who cares about that BG check, its for a ltc, we'll get to it when we aren't busy).

So thats a +/-2 days variation in the best case scenario.

Then Batch printing... Didn't print on Friday at 5:00?... Oh well. Mondays right around the corner.

Additional +/-3 days variation.

Then batch mailing. Assuming they ALL go out only once a week, thats up to 6 days variation.

Additional +/-6 days variation.


So just based on the process with a EASY background check, you are looking at an additional 11 days variation without anything really being 'abnormal'. Throw in a county that is slow or a difficult BG check, now it can be 10 - 45 days of variation. With enough people getting LTCs (and impatiently waiting for it), there are bound to be some extremes. Sucks if you are one, but keep in mind it could be much worse...

(Keep in mind the ATF approvals or California's shitty may-issue policies, Texas' 60-day requirement is downright generous).
Do we have a list of hard counties? LOL Harris County is a big county, but is Harris County one of those hard counties?

User avatar

Grundy1133
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 26
Posts: 915
Joined: Wed Mar 07, 2018 2:18 pm
Location: Gainesville

Re: "Waiting Room"

#6217

Post by Grundy1133 » Thu Mar 15, 2018 10:14 pm

PriestTheRunner wrote:
Grundy1133 wrote:...
Congrats! :txflag:
Thanks! Hoping it's in the mail tomorrow or saturday. If it's not then I imagine monday for sure. :woohoo
Last edited by Grundy1133 on Fri Mar 16, 2018 2:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Image
NRA Member

User avatar

PriestTheRunner
Member
Posts in topic: 8
Posts: 166
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2018 5:33 pm

Re: "Waiting Room"

#6218

Post by PriestTheRunner » Thu Mar 15, 2018 10:24 pm

thinkmac wrote:
PriestTheRunner wrote:
Grundy1133 wrote:
Grundy1133 wrote: ...
...
...
Do we have a list of hard counties? LOL Harris County is a big county, but is Harris County one of those hard counties?
I doubt it.

We would need a survey with enough data to analyze whose took the longest, and only viewing those individuals which counties in their living and working history overlap. A ton of people move quite a bit, any level of convictions, even in the past, could potentially skew this data, and you would need enough respondents to regularly isolate the 'problem' counties.

Someone within DPS who handles the BG Checks could probably do it off the back of their hand, as they see enough data on a regular basis to 'know'... But it would be basically impossible for us.

The main thing is that the DPS cannot take more than 60 days. Doing so regularly would lead to complaints to representatives and investigation. I would consider the 60-day rule a gift (if you are not of the constitutional carry bloodline) and move on.
Last edited by PriestTheRunner on Thu Mar 15, 2018 10:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar

Grundy1133
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 26
Posts: 915
Joined: Wed Mar 07, 2018 2:18 pm
Location: Gainesville

Re: "Waiting Room"

#6219

Post by Grundy1133 » Thu Mar 15, 2018 10:25 pm

PriestTheRunner wrote:
thinkmac wrote:
PriestTheRunner wrote:
Grundy1133 wrote:
Grundy1133 wrote: ...
...
...
Do we have a list of hard counties? LOL Harris County is a big county, but is Harris County one of those hard counties?
I doubt it.

We would need a survey with enough data to analyze whose took the longest, and only viewing those individuals which counties in their living and working history overlap. A ton of people move quite a bit, any level of convictions, even in the past, could potentially skew this data, and you would need enough respondents to regularly isolate the 'problem' counties.

Someone within DPS who handles the BG Checks could probably do it off the back of their hand, as they see enough data on a regular basis to 'know'... But it would be basically impossible for us.

The main thing is that the DPS cannot take more than 90 days. Doing so regularly would lead to complaints to representatives and investigation. I would consider the 90-day rule a gift (if you are not of the constitutional carry bloodline) and move on.
i thought it was 60 days..? :confused5
Image
NRA Member

User avatar

PriestTheRunner
Member
Posts in topic: 8
Posts: 166
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2018 5:33 pm

Re: "Waiting Room"

#6220

Post by PriestTheRunner » Thu Mar 15, 2018 10:27 pm

Grundy1133 wrote:
PriestTheRunner wrote:...
i thought it was 60 days..? :confused5
Whoops! You're right, its 60 days. I'll edit my post.


Txmomof4
Junior Member
Posts in topic: 3
Posts: 4
Joined: Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:21 am

Re: "Waiting Room"

#6221

Post by Txmomof4 » Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:45 am

I called. They said that it should be here by now and that it hasn't been returned so they don't know what happened


fwant
Junior Member
Posts in topic: 7
Posts: 8
Joined: Sat Feb 17, 2018 12:09 pm

Re: "Waiting Room"

#6222

Post by fwant » Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:08 am

I called in yesterday. All my paperwork has been done and submitted since 2/11/2018 according to them. Then the person on tghe phone told me it could take 90 to 180 days????????? I was what the heck?? This is effen ridiculous. :mad5 :banghead:

User avatar

PriestTheRunner
Member
Posts in topic: 8
Posts: 166
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2018 5:33 pm

Re: "Waiting Room"

#6223

Post by PriestTheRunner » Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:28 am

fwant wrote:I called in yesterday. All my paperwork has been done and submitted since 2/11/2018 according to them. Then the person on tghe phone told me it could take 90 to 180 days????????? I was what the heck?? This is effen ridiculous. :mad5 :banghead:
If you were switched to all green over 2 or 3 weeks ago, you need to call DPS. It is very possible that it was delivered to the wrong address or something. Person on the phone was wrong, Texas has 60 days by law. Considering you posted about being 'all green' about a month ago, I would say it was a mailing thing.

User avatar

Grundy1133
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 26
Posts: 915
Joined: Wed Mar 07, 2018 2:18 pm
Location: Gainesville

Re: "Waiting Room"

#6224

Post by Grundy1133 » Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:38 am

PriestTheRunner wrote:
fwant wrote:I called in yesterday. All my paperwork has been done and submitted since 2/11/2018 according to them. Then the person on tghe phone told me it could take 90 to 180 days????????? I was what the heck?? This is effen ridiculous. :mad5 :banghead:
If you were switched to all green over 2 or 3 weeks ago, you need to call DPS. It is very possible that it was delivered to the wrong address or something. Person on the phone was wrong, Texas has 60 days by law. Considering you posted about being 'all green' about a month ago, I would say it was a mailing thing.
agreed it might have got lost in the mail. good ol USPS... :roll:
Image
NRA Member


twomillenium
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 4
Posts: 1491
Joined: Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:42 pm
Location: houston area

Re: "Waiting Room"

#6225

Post by twomillenium » Fri Mar 16, 2018 11:01 am

Grundy1133 wrote:
PriestTheRunner wrote:
fwant wrote:I called in yesterday. All my paperwork has been done and submitted since 2/11/2018 according to them. Then the person on tghe phone told me it could take 90 to 180 days????????? I was what the heck?? This is effen ridiculous. :mad5 :banghead:
If you were switched to all green over 2 or 3 weeks ago, you need to call DPS. It is very possible that it was delivered to the wrong address or something. Person on the phone was wrong, Texas has 60 days by law. Considering you posted about being 'all green' about a month ago, I would say it was a mailing thing.
agreed it might have got lost in the mail. good ol USPS... :roll:
Lost in the mail????? It was only 2 1/2 weeks ago that you did your fingerprints. The only thing that is lost is your patience, chill, they even ask that you wait 5 weeks before you call and ask where. BTW, if they notify you that they need something else, you have 90 days to respond if they do not hear from you within 90days, your file is closed. The application process has to start from the beginning, including a new payment for the new file.
Texas LTC Instructor, NRA pistol instructor, RSO, NRA Endowment Life , TSRA, Glock enthusiast (tho I have others)
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is knowing not to add it to a fruit salad.

You will never know another me, this could be good or not so good, but it is still true.

Post Reply

Return to “The "Waiting Room"”