CONTACT YOUR ELECTED OFFICIALS

So, your CHL Application has been filed and the clock has slowed to a crawl - tell us about it!

Moderator: carlson1

txinvestigator
Posts in topic: 3

Post by txinvestigator »

Diode wrote:
txinvestigator wrote:
robert_de_niro wrote:
I called today to verify that I could indeed send a personal check (I don't know why they still say they don't accept them) and the woman seemed very impatient and rude...
You called to ask, and they told you no? So are you going to send one?
Actually the paper work says no but they do accept them now... I think that;s still true.
I know, I am curious as to the answer, from Di Niro, to my question.
*CHL Instructor*

"Speed is Fine, but accuracy is final"- Bill Jordan

Remember those who died, remember those who killed them.

Diode
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Diode »

txinvestigator wrote:
Diode wrote:
txinvestigator wrote:
robert_de_niro wrote:
I called today to verify that I could indeed send a personal check (I don't know why they still say they don't accept them) and the woman seemed very impatient and rude...
Actually the paper work says no but they do accept them now... I think that;s still true.
I know, I am curious as to the answer, from Di Niro, to my question.
Oh, sorry. I knew you knew that!

ElGato
Posts in topic: 1

Post by ElGato »

txinvestigator wrote:
robert_de_niro wrote:
:oops: I missed something? They told us last Oct. that they would accept personal checks. :headscratch
http://www.tomestepshooting.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I'm better at retirement than anything I have ever tried. Me
Young People pratice to get better, Old folk's pratice to keep from getting WORSE. Me

txinvestigator
Posts in topic: 3

Post by txinvestigator »

ElGato wrote:
txinvestigator wrote:
robert_de_niro wrote:
:oops: I missed something? They told us last Oct. that they would accept personal checks. :headscratch
Yep, I really want to know what DiNiro is going to do....
*CHL Instructor*

"Speed is Fine, but accuracy is final"- Bill Jordan

Remember those who died, remember those who killed them.

Diode

Post by Diode »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:
Kalrog wrote:
Charles L. Cotton wrote:Processing times overall are unacceptable and, until very recently, I would have said DPS is violating the statutory time limits for both new and renewal applications. Unfortunately, they can take up to 90 days for first-time applications, depending on when DPS Austin sends it to the local designee. This will be addressed in 2007.
There are those of us who went well beyond the 90 day limit as well though... so please don't give them a complete pass. It just might not be quite as large of a "legal" problem as it otherwise might have been.

And let me know if you need a deposition or other assistance in Austin for the '07 session. I could easily answer a subpoena for the state capital.
Rest assured it's not going to be ignored! The 90 day glitch will be addressed also.

Chas.
Charles, Do you feel the CHL department is just under staffed? I think a lot of the problem (at least for me) was why did it take 30 days just to get into the system to start the process? Does that mean they toss your app. in a pile for a month? On the other hand maybe there are good reasons it take so long, I have no way of knowing and I guess everyone is that way.
Maybe we can take a field trip to Austin and watch them work one day ? :shock:

kw5kw

Post by kw5kw »

I personally feel that they are:

1) understaffed
2) underpaid
3) overworked

And, they should work FIFO and that can, at times, create a log-jam.

Russ

sparx

Post by sparx »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:I don’t think it’s asking too much for people to treat others with respect. It’s what makes TexasCHLforum unique in the Internet world.
+ 1001

I would have faired far worse on my path in acquiring a Texas CHL if it had not been for the TexasCHLforum, its members, and the knowledge that I have personally gained from joining. Although I have yet to actually meet any of the members personally, I look forward to the day(s) that may happen. In the "real" world I respect few and ignore many. Here at TexasCHLforumm I respect many and ignore a few. That alone confirms (in my mind at least) that this forum has a much better group of citizens than I would find on any street, anywhere.

Thank you Charles, and to many of the other TexasCHLforum members for all that you have done... not only would I not be here without you, but I seriously doubt that my wife and I would have our packets sitting in Austin right now waiting to be processed!

Now, with regards to some people's kids... :headscratch
NRA, TSRA, TXGR, SAF, GOA & FPC
"I'm not terrified of guns, I'm terrified of gun-free zones!"

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

Diode wrote:
Charles L. Cotton wrote:
Kalrog wrote:
Charles L. Cotton wrote:Processing times overall are unacceptable and, until very recently, I would have said DPS is violating the statutory time limits for both new and renewal applications. Unfortunately, they can take up to 90 days for first-time applications, depending on when DPS Austin sends it to the local designee. This will be addressed in 2007.
There are those of us who went well beyond the 90 day limit as well though... so please don't give them a complete pass. It just might not be quite as large of a "legal" problem as it otherwise might have been.

And let me know if you need a deposition or other assistance in Austin for the '07 session. I could easily answer a subpoena for the state capital.
Rest assured it's not going to be ignored! The 90 day glitch will be addressed also.

Chas.
Charles, Do you feel the CHL department is just under staffed? I think a lot of the problem (at least for me) was why did it take 30 days just to get into the system to start the process? Does that mean they toss your app. in a pile for a month? On the other hand maybe there are good reasons it take so long, I have no way of knowing and I guess everyone is that way.
Maybe we can take a field trip to Austin and watch them work one day ? :shock:
I do believe they are understaffed. This results in at least some applications not being sent to the "field" in what I consider a timely manner, although they do have 30 days to do so, per the statute.

I can't be specific at this point, but I do have some suggestions that I think will help DPS and the process.

Chas.

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

In case you find one of your posts missing here's why. I've deleted all posts related to TheNYer and JoePenn, including my own. I don't want any of that on the forum, or in any of the backups I retain.

Chas.

rgoldy

Post by rgoldy »

Thank you Charles for that kindness to us all.
Lead, follow, or get out of the way.
JOIN NRA[/i] JOIN TSRA

zeroskillz

Post by zeroskillz »

Shoot, why dont they just offer expidited service at an additional charge? I'd pay double for a 20-30 day turnaround, in essence $280 to have my license in my pocket 30 days from sending the app in. Not everyone would, so that could make them more money while servicing those of us with more money than sense, but not overload them.
-Zeke

bauerdj

Post by bauerdj »

Obviously if they are short staffed that would just slow it down even more for those paying the regular fee. Then, to get anything at all reasonable in service, it would be necessary to pay the expedite fee. In effect that would just result in raising the already excessive fee.

Dave B.

cyphur

Post by cyphur »

While I am not looking forward to waiting the 60+ days it may take to get my CHL, I would not pay one cent more to get it any quicker. While freedom has no price too high, $140 for a state-sponsored license affirming your natural right is a good bit of change, at least for me. Then add on the cost for the class, which effectively makes it $250-300 to start with.

Diode

Post by Diode »

cyphur wrote:While I am not looking forward to waiting the 60+ days it may take to get my CHL, I would not pay one cent more to get it any quicker. While freedom has no price too high, $140 for a state-sponsored license affirming your natural right is a good bit of change, at least for me. Then add on the cost for the class, which effectively makes it $250-300 to start with.
Good Point Reminds of when I was a kid and someone mentioned selling water or air.... I thought no one can sell water and air....they're free...... !

Here I sit buying both and my right to carry that was already given to me 200 years ago......

Return to “The "Waiting Room"”