January 2011 Applications

So, your CHL Application has been filed and the clock has slowed to a crawl - tell us about it!

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
scooter1966
Posts in topic: 17

Re: January 2011 Applications

Post by scooter1966 »

rmr1923 wrote: anyone have a delorean?
If I did I would have plastic already :smilelol5:

jcarp02
Posts in topic: 27

Post by jcarp02 »

rmr- I saw on another post that you traded your xdm. What did you end up getting?

rmr1923
Posts in topic: 38

Post by rmr1923 »

jcarp02 wrote:rmr- I saw on another post that you traded your xdm. What did you end up getting?
Smith & Wesson M&P 40 compact. i was hoping to get a Glock 23 or 27 but that M&P fit my hand like a glove, i love it. i'm still in contact with another forum member about a Glock 27 though. i've never had a Glock but have always wanted one, and it would be nice to have as a backup.

Skipper5
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Skipper5 »

rescuetech wrote:Well I sent my paper application with accompanying documentation on Jan. 5 (I actually took the class a few months back but with four kids, sometimes dads priorities come last) on Jan. 8 a whack-job in AZ kills six people and injures a dozen or so more.

While watching the evening news on the 9th the talking heads went into great detail about how the whack-job purchased his gun legally, passing an FBI background check.
Near the end of the report the main talking head says; "...and some law makers are calling for a halt to the FBI background checks until the process can be reviewed".

Now the only thing I can think is, I'M SCREWED, this whack-job just put my CHL Appl. on hold and who knows for how long.

What do yall think, will this event slow the process?
According to GMA George Stephenoplus (sp) ...that the sentiment against gun control has actually reduced. He indicated the latest survey indicated possibly a reduction in magazine size. This, if I understood correctly was his reporting. I believe that a further comment called for additional Federal funding for greater tracking of mental illness applicants, etc.
I think that most in this country recognize this as an act of a deranged individual and will not delay your application whatsoever.
Good luck and be safe///
Renewal Waiting here
TX CHL Holder
NRA Life Member
TSRA Member - Yes to Castle Doctrine! Success!!

Topic author
scooter1966

Post by scooter1966 »

Background check: Completed
Concealed Handgun License: Manufacturing Pending

Ten days from the date of the first status online. That's fast! Too bad you can't print out a paper temporary like you can with a DL. Well I have to go check the mailbox now... :woohoo

chopper
Posts in topic: 4

Post by chopper »

Mine says same thing background complete manf pending. So does that mean were golden just waiting on arrival in mail now?

jspring0033
Posts in topic: 5

Post by jspring0033 »

jspring0033 wrote:Hi everyone!

I have been lurking the last week or so and just signed up today.

I also took my CHL class on Jan 8th.
Mailed to Austin on January 10th.
Delivered in Austin today Jan 14th.

The wait begins. I have been carrying around my house everyday since the class trying to get used to my new CCW.

Looking forward to being an active member on this site!

jspring0033
Spring, Texas

Hi everyone!

Thought I would update my "wait" status as of yet!

Took the class on the 8th. Mailed on the 10th. Recieved in Austin on the 14th. Last night the 20th status said waiting on reciept of materials and checked again on status again this morning the 21st and i am in the system!
:clapping:

Application : Received
Fingerprints : Under review
Affidavits : Received
DL or ID : Valid
Citizenship : No documentation required
Passport photo holder : Received
Photo : Received
Proof of Classroom training : Received
Proof of Proficiency training : Received
Fee : Received
Background Check : Under review
Concealed Handgun License : Print pending completion of application review
jspring0033
Spring, Texas
Springfield xd 40
Ruger LCP (CCW)
Bushmaster AR-15

Topic author
scooter1966

Post by scooter1966 »

chopper wrote:Mine says same thing background complete manf pending. So does that mean were golden just waiting on arrival in mail now?
That's how I take it! I think it will tell us when it has been mailed. Congrats!!! :cheers2:

Poldark
Posts in topic: 8

Post by Poldark »

Just waiting for Background check. :???:

CHL course on 1/5
Packet sent on 1/6
Arrived Austin 1/8

Fingerprints by L1.not paper.
Term Limits, Please.

jcarp02

Post by jcarp02 »

scooter1966 wrote:Background check: Completed

Ten days from the date of the first status online. That's fast! Too bad you can't print out a paper temporary like you can with a DL. Well I have to go check the mailbox now... :woohoo
Mine says the same thing! :anamatedbanana

rmr1923

Post by rmr1923 »

jcarp02 wrote:
scooter1966 wrote:Background check: Completed

Mine says the same thing! :anamatedbanana
congrats to all of you who will be getting your plastic soon. background check still "under review" for me. i think the arrest i listed is holding mine up, i'm hoping if they need additional documentation they'll send me a letter requesting it soon. i called a couple days ago and they were of no particular help.

not sure if anyone knows the specifics about what may disqualify you from getting a CHL, but i was arrested (as a juvenile) in January 2000 for possession of marijuana. i received deferred adjudication, served 6 months probation, and the charges were dismissed and expunged from my record. i believe it was a class B misdemeanor, 11 years ago, and this is the only time i've been arrested. something like this wouldn't disqualify me would it?

Edit: Looking at the concealed handgun laws, this is what it says regarding the definition of "convicted":

The term does not include an adjudication
of guilt or an order of deferred adjudication that has been subsequently:
(A) expunged;
(B) pardoned under the authority of a state or federal official; or
(C) otherwise vacated, set aside, annulled, invalidated, voided,
or sealed under any state or federal law.

jcarp02

Post by jcarp02 »

If I remember correctly from my CHL class, as long as it is expunged then you're good. I think he said just adjudicated can still cause some problems for some reason, but if it's expunged then there is no problem. I would think it would be faster that you told them up front than if they found out on their own.

rmr1923

Post by rmr1923 »

jcarp02 wrote:If I remember correctly from my CHL class, as long as it is expunged then you're good. I think he said just adjudicated can still cause some problems for some reason, but if it's expunged then there is no problem. I would think it would be faster that you told them up front than if they found out on their own.
Yeah I did some searching around and found a few sources that say the only misdemeanors that permanently disqualify you from a CHL are assault and domestic abuse. I've had a couple people tell me I should have just sent in the arrest and court records in the first place, I wish my CHL instructor had told me this. I even asked him about the arrest and he told me to put it on the application but that it wouldn't cause me any problems. Oh well, I've been putting off getting my CHL for over a year now, I can wait another month or two if that's what it comes down to.

TheGasMan
Posts in topic: 3

Post by TheGasMan »

So... I mailed my stuff 1/11 and the website still says waiting for required materials. Looks like others that mailed around the same time have gotten updated. Is this common?

rmr1923

Post by rmr1923 »

TheGasMan wrote:So... I mailed my stuff 1/11 and the website still says waiting for required materials. Looks like others that mailed around the same time have gotten updated. Is this common?
i think it took about 10 days from the time i mailed my paperwork until i saw a status update online. someone mentioned on here before that it seems all updates appear on the DPS website after 5:00, so check back later this evening and see if anything's changed. if you haven't seen anything by next week i still wouldn't worry, their website has had issues before. a couple people have received their plastic in the mail while the site still showed their background checks were under review.

Return to “The "Waiting Room"”