Wait time for non resident Virginia permits

So, your CHL Application has been filed and the clock has slowed to a crawl - tell us about it!

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
FloridaViaMissouri
Posts in topic: 15

Wait time for non resident Virginia permits

Post by FloridaViaMissouri »

Hi everyone. I joined the forum because I was looking for a new gun forum to join and have read this forum for awhile. Anyways a lot of Texans get the Virginia permit I see and I was wondering if anyone know how long the wait time is for a VA non resident permit. My receipt of payment letter was dated march 15th on it but I can't remember what the timeframe on the letter said since I can't find it. I know they have been taking a long time processing lately but I thought they had 45 days to process? Should I try contacting them or wait longer?

I recently moved to FL and already have a AZ and FL permit but was looking to get back up to 3 permits since my MO one is no longer valid. Btw MO passed a huge permit less conceal carry bill today that was a massive pro gun bill. Hope you Texans get it soon too.

Topic author
FloridaViaMissouri

Re: Wait time for non resident Virginia permits

bdr518 wrote:
FloridaViaMissouri wrote:Hi everyone. I joined the forum because I was looking for a new gun forum to join and have read this forum for awhile. Anyways a lot of Texans get the Virginia permit I see and I was wondering if anyone know how long the wait time is for a VA non resident permit. My receipt of payment letter was dated march 15th on it but I can't remember what the timeframe on the letter said since I can't find it. I know they have been taking a long time processing lately but I thought they had 45 days to process? Should I try contacting them or wait longer?

I recently moved to FL and already have a AZ and FL permit but was looking to get back up to 3 permits since my MO one is no longer valid. Btw MO passed a huge permit less conceal carry bill today that was a massive pro gun bill. Hope you Texans get it soon too.

Welcome to the conversation! I am not really sure this post is in the right place, as this is pretty much the waiting room for Texas LTC (formerly CHL) permits, and unless I am mistaken, an out-of-state Virginia permit doesn't really grant any extra privileges, unlike say an out of state Arizona permit. That being said many moons ago, when i was a Virginia resident, it took EXACTLY the then proscribed 45 days (2003).
I'm sure they had a huge influx for VA permits a few months ago when it was announced they wouldn't honor other permits. I'm sure everyone scrambled to get their VA permit which could be causing delays.

I hate the system here in Florida that Floridian's can only carry on a Florida permit. In Missouri I had the backup permits in case I couldn't renew in time or something I simply would have a spare permit. Here in FL to apply in person I've heard it takes a few months in advance to get an appointment for it. I don't see FL getting permit less carry like Missouri is. This state is becoming too urbanized now. We can't even get open carry passed here.

At least in Texas you Texan's can use other states permits. I like having that safeguard.

Topic author
FloridaViaMissouri

bdr518 wrote:I feel ya on Florida not recognizing out of state permits, but I grew up in the Peoples Republic of Maryland. I am assuming you are referring to the 12-22 AG decision, but from what I read, Texas wasn't among the affected states. Thankfully the legislature stepped in on behalf of the people. I myself will be looking into the Arizona permit so I can carry on Nevada, but I thank God I ended up in one of the most reciprocated states in the union. Maybe one of these days the courts will realize that the 14th amendment doesn't only apply to drivers and marriage licenses and we won't have to worry about this reciprocity nonsense.
Florida does but you must be a resident of that state like visiting for example. If you live in FL you can't use a AZ permit to carry for example like you can in Texas or Missouri.

Arizona process is very simple. No photo or notary required. Just go to a law enforcement agency and get two finger print cards taken and fill out the one page app and send a couple in of your NRA class you took or military papers and $60. In about a month you got a permit. A lot easier process than the Texas permit system.

The FL permit even renewing you must get prints and everything done again. Pointless to get your prints taken for a renewal.

The whole system of needing a permit to bear arms is not constitutional. Since bear means to have on one's self.

infoman
Posts in topic: 1

Post by infoman »

I disagree, I'm glad that Texas has certain criteria for those who want to carry in public. I'm glad that they look at criminal histories of applicants & that certain folks get denied for not meeting the legal qualifications. I even think the eligibility laws are too lenient as they are now.

Topic author
FloridaViaMissouri

Still no VA permit in the mail yet. Based on what I read on other forums mid June the latest.

ScottDLS
Posts in topic: 3

Post by ScottDLS »

infoman wrote:I disagree, I'm glad that Texas has certain criteria for those who want to carry in public. I'm glad that they look at criminal histories of applicants & that certain folks get denied for not meeting the legal qualifications. I even think the eligibility laws are too lenient as they are now.
I'm not. I think there should be fewer arbitrary restrictions on the "right" to carry, like the "Constitutional Carry" states. Criminals will carry without a license anyway, so why do the law abiding need the state to sell us our right to carry. License background check should involve an instant NICS check and issue the same day if you qualify to buy a gun, if we have to have a license at all.

ETA: BTW I actually have a Texas LTC and a non-res Virginia CCL. It took right on about 45 days to get my Virginia last year.
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

ScottDLS

Post by ScottDLS »

bdr518 wrote:
ScottDLS wrote:I'm not. I think there should be fewer arbitrary restrictions on the "right" to carry, like the "Constitutional Carry" states. Criminals will carry without a license anyway, so why do the law abiding need the state to sell us our right to carry. License background check should involve an instant NICS check and issue the same day if you qualify to buy a gun, if we have to have a license at all.
I like Mississippi's three tiered system:
1) No permit required to carry.
2) Permit w/ background check to take advantage of reciprocity
3) Enhanced permit (w/ more stringent background check and training) to be able to carry in "Off limits" places (Similar to those listed in 42.03).

Their laws for the enhanced permit allow carrying ANYWHERE. The only catch is some places (like the post office) while immune from State prosecution, you are still subject to Federal law.
That's an interesting system. Is the Mississippi enhanced permit shall issue if you meet the requirements? On the path to Constitutional carry I would like to see Texas remove the 46.03/35 restrictions on license holders.
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

Topic author
FloridaViaMissouri

ScottDLS wrote:
infoman wrote:I disagree, I'm glad that Texas has certain criteria for those who want to carry in public. I'm glad that they look at criminal histories of applicants & that certain folks get denied for not meeting the legal qualifications. I even think the eligibility laws are too lenient as they are now.
I'm not. I think there should be fewer arbitrary restrictions on the "right" to carry, like the "Constitutional Carry" states. Criminals will carry without a license anyway, so why do the law abiding need the state to sell us our right to carry. License background check should involve an instant NICS check and issue the same day if you qualify to buy a gun, if we have to have a license at all.

ETA: BTW I actually have a Texas LTC and a non-res Virginia CCL. It took right on about 45 days to get my Virginia last year.
Interesting. I might have to try and contact them next week. Then again you got your permit before the attorney general announced they would no longer honor most permits which probably caused a huge influx of ccw applications this spring before they reversed on it.

Topic author
FloridaViaMissouri

Came across this thread. The post from last fall seem to be on average 60 to 90 days so hopefully soon I get something. It's not good here in Florida anyways but since moving from Missouri I want to maintain 3 permits at all times.

I will say Arizona has the easiest process as long as they can read your prints. In Dec 2014 I applied for AZ and just under 30 days later I got my permit.

http://www.defensivecarry.com/forum/con ... 5-a-4.html

Topic author
FloridaViaMissouri

ScottDLS wrote:

One thing of caution in these states passing permit less carry is many of them while you can carry without a permit you don't have the same protections. Like if you carry into a posted location or a location that is prohibited by law but not an arrestable offense without a permit in some cases it's an actual crime versus getting a citation and being asked to leave. I believe the Mississippi law is like that.

The law that passed in Missouri without a ccw permit carrying into 16 of the 17 prohibited locations is a misdemeanor versus just a citation if you have a ccw permit and being wrote a ticket.

Still no VA permit. On another forum someone it took 90 days. THey asked VA and VA wouldn't even check the status of their permit until it's been at least 90 days. I'm going to email them tomorrow if I don't get a permit in the mail. I still got two permits anyways but I want to have three permits at all times even though since moving here to Florida they only honor my FL permit.

Topic author
FloridaViaMissouri

I emailed Virginia today regarding my permit and they said 90 days from the date of the receipt of payment. I figured it would take the 90 days because a few months ago when VA said they wouldn't honor other states permits people started swamping them with applications for non resident ccw permits.

So mid June I should probably be getting the permit. I will be back up to 3 permits again. I wonder if that puts me in more databases too lol.

Topic author
FloridaViaMissouri

Still no permit yet. I guess they're taking the full 90 days.

Topic author
FloridaViaMissouri

tomorrow will be 90 days. If I don't get the permit by the middle of next week I'll be emailing them again and wondering what's going on. I've got a FL and AZ permit but these permits are literally to die for. Lawmakers tried passing a law in VA to allow domestic violence victims to get permits faster but Governor McAwful vetoed it and votes not there for override. I wonder how many people might die over not being able to get a permit in time.

ScottDLS

Post by ScottDLS »

FloridaViaMissouri wrote:tomorrow will be 90 days. If I don't get the permit by the middle of next week I'll be emailing them again and wondering what's going on. I've got a FL and AZ permit but these permits are literally to die for. Lawmakers tried passing a law in VA to allow domestic violence victims to get permits faster but Governor McAwful vetoed it and votes not there for override. I wonder how many people might die over not being able to get a permit in time.
That stinks. I'm quite sure that it took mine less than 90 last year... For those in Virginia getting a resident permit, at least they don't need one to BUY a gun or even open carry...

Topic author
FloridaViaMissouri

Well up until a couple years ago Virginia had a 1 gun a month law unless you had a VA ccw permit.

Return to “The "Waiting Room"”