New to Forum

So, your CHL Application has been filed and the clock has slowed to a crawl - tell us about it!

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
TopCat
Posts in topic: 4

Re: New to Forum

Post by TopCat »

Hello everybody, I apologize for my belated reply. Thank you all for your responses and advice, you have all been very helpful. I had already been applying some of y’alls advice before I joined this forum i.e., carrying different pistols around the house, trying different holsters, belts, and carry positions. My wife asked me why I have been walking around the house and yard with a holstered pistol and I told her, "so that I will be used to it and will have figured out what works and what doesn't before I get my license". She thinks I'm goofy but I have become more comfortable and a little a little more used to carrying now. I think I have settled on my Sig Sauer 239. It's somewhat compact and shoots very accurately. I have not settled on a holster yet as all of mine are cheapos. I am looking for a molded modular type holster and any recommendations would be greatly appreciated. It appears that my question about a non-resident license from another state was based on outdated data, a definite no-no for a scientist and I have since abandoned the idea but I thank you for your thoughts. I have researched/looked for, found and spoken with a highly recommended and well respected LTC instructor in my area and will be taking the class this week if the rain holds off. I bought some good shooting bifocals because I'm getting old, made a replica of the B-27 pistol target, shot at the qualifying distances, and did great, so I'm feeling more confident going in to the test. Thanks again folks!

oljames3
Posts in topic: 1

Post by oljames3 »

TopCat wrote:Hello everybody, I apologize for my belated reply. Thank you all for your responses and advice, you have all been very helpful. I had already been applying some of y’alls advice before I joined this forum i.e., carrying different pistols around the house, trying different holsters, belts, and carry positions. My wife asked me why I have been walking around the house and yard with a holstered pistol and I told her, "so that I will be used to it and will have figured out what works and what doesn't before I get my license". She thinks I'm goofy but I have become more comfortable and a little a little more used to carrying now. I think I have settled on my Sig Sauer 239. It's somewhat compact and shoots very accurately. I have not settled on a holster yet as all of mine are cheapos. I am looking for a molded modular type holster and any recommendations would be greatly appreciated. It appears that my question about a non-resident license from another state was based on outdated data, a definite no-no for a scientist and I have since abandoned the idea but I thank you for your thoughts. I have researched/looked for, found and spoken with a highly recommended and well respected LTC instructor in my area and will be taking the class this week if the rain holds off. I bought some good shooting bifocals because I'm getting old, made a replica of the B-27 pistol target, shot at the qualifying distances, and did great, so I'm feeling more confident going in to the test. Thanks again folks!
Take a look at Safariland holsters.
http://www.safariland.com/products/hols ... wyxlxz0ffb

I carry my S&S M&P Mod 2.0, 5 inch barrel, 9mm, in flat dark earth, openly in a Safariland 7TS ALS 7378 belt holster. The ALS retention keeps my pistol securely in the holster despite my activity, yet allows me to quickly draw the pistol. Lots of options out there.

As for you wife thinking you are goofy, you are not alone. I bought my first pistol the month after I got my CHL in 2013. I've carried every day since then. My pistol is on my person or within easy reach. I practice drawing from sitting on the couch with the pistol in its holster laying on the couch. Lots more fun in store for you.
;-)
O. Lee James, III Captain, US Army (Retired 2012), Honorable Order of St. Barbara
2/19FA, 1st Cavalry Division 73-78; 56FA BDE (Pershing) 78-81
NRA, NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Instructor, Rangemaster Certified, GOA, TSRA, NAR L1

Pawpaw

Post by Pawpaw »

The Sig P239 is a good choice. That's what I started out with. I don't carry it any more, but would without hesitation. I'm not selling it anytime soon..

It's true you need a good holster, but the #1 key to comfortable carry is a good GUN BELT. Accept no substitutes. Just because a belt looks thick and strong does not mean it will work well as a gun belt. Buy a purpose-built belt.
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

WTR
Banned

Post by WTR »

Pawpaw wrote:The Sig P239 is a good choice. That's what I started out with. I don't carry it any more, but would without hesitation. I'm not selling it anytime soon..

It's true you need a good holster, but the #1 key to comfortable carry is a good GUN BELT. Accept no substitutes. Just because a belt looks thick and strong does not mean it will work well as a gun belt. Buy a purpose-built belt.
:iagree: :iagree:

RogueUSMC
Posts in topic: 2

Post by RogueUSMC »

TopCat wrote:Hello everybody, I apologize for my belated reply. Thank you all for your responses and advice, you have all been very helpful. I had already been applying some of y’alls advice before I joined this forum i.e., carrying different pistols around the house, trying different holsters, belts, and carry positions. My wife asked me why I have been walking around the house and yard with a holstered pistol and I told her, "so that I will be used to it and will have figured out what works and what doesn't before I get my license". She thinks I'm goofy but I have become more comfortable and a little a little more used to carrying now. I think I have settled on my Sig Sauer 239. It's somewhat compact and shoots very accurately. I have not settled on a holster yet as all of mine are cheapos. I am looking for a molded modular type holster and any recommendations would be greatly appreciated. It appears that my question about a non-resident license from another state was based on outdated data, a definite no-no for a scientist and I have since abandoned the idea but I thank you for your thoughts. I have researched/looked for, found and spoken with a highly recommended and well respected LTC instructor in my area and will be taking the class this week if the rain holds off. I bought some good shooting bifocals because I'm getting old, made a replica of the B-27 pistol target, shot at the qualifying distances, and did great, so I'm feeling more confident going in to the test. Thanks again folks!
My wife thought I was silly too when I first started. Four years later and she is licensed back-up...
A man will fight harder for his interests than for his rights.
- Napoleon Bonaparte
PFC Paul E. Ison USMC 1916-2001

Return to “The "Waiting Room"”