Renewal frustration...

So, your CHL Application has been filed and the clock has slowed to a crawl - tell us about it!

Moderator: carlson1

User avatar

Topic author
RogueUSMC
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 5
Posts: 1447
Joined: Tue Apr 30, 2013 12:55 pm
Location: Smith County
Contact:

Renewal frustration...

#1

Post by RogueUSMC » Fri Dec 29, 2017 3:31 pm

At the end of last month, my wife says, "your birthday is in January." I said, "yep, it is!"...then thought, "my LTC expires on that date!"

I said, "I didn't get my renewal notification!" She says, "yeah, you did. It's right here."

I sat down and filled out the application. I got all the way through it, put my card info in and hit submit. I got the little working icon for a few minutes and then an error page that said the page could not be displayed. It was the weekend but I used the contact form on their website to ask if it went through. it was Tuesday before I got a response that said they have no record of it.

So, on the 6th of December, I submitted my renewal againonline. I waited about three days and went to check and it said "please allow for sufficient time." I checked again the next week and it had the option to start a new application. I thought, "doesn't that usually mean the process is complete? Cool! It should be in the mailbox in plenty of time!"

Two weeks go by and I checked the day after Christmas to see and now I see a checklist that says fingerprints and background check in process. So I checked again this morning and it is still the same.

I called the regulatory services number and, during the conversation, it was stated multiple times that they are allowed up to 60 days. No 'we'll try to get it done' or I apologize for the delay'...just a 'we've got 60 days. It's kind of irritating. But get this! The 60 days didn't start until the 16th of December. I guess it takes ten days for DPS to realize you have submitted the electronic application on their website?

Now, when I got my license the first time, it was REALLY frustrating. I submitted the applications for myself and my mother-in-law within an hour of each other. She had to go back and redo fingerprints twice and still got her license in less than a month and a half. 90 days go by and mine was still saying doing background check.

I ended up contacting my representatives and they got a hold of DPS and I have my license in-hand in less than two weeks after that.

Am I just unlucky? I mean, I know I submitted later than I could have but dang! It is a 60 day process but I guess they get to decide when your 60 days starts. It's an electronic application that gave me an email notification almost instantly but it took them a week and a half to realize they had it?

I'm sorry. I am just feeling a little frustrated right now...
A man will fight harder for his interests than for his rights.
- Napoleon Bonaparte
PFC Paul E. Ison USMC 1916-2001

User avatar

johncanfield
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 984
Joined: Wed Aug 17, 2011 9:04 pm
Location: Texas Hill Country

Re: Renewal frustration...

#2

Post by johncanfield » Sat Dec 30, 2017 8:36 pm

Been there. I had some major health issues when my renewal notice came in the mail so that wasn't on my radar. When life got back to mostly normal, it dawned on me my license was going to expire - and soon. So I didn't carry for about six weeks or so. Not a good feeling when the gun has been my hip for five years.
Ruger SR40, LC9s, M&P 22, 9c, Sig P238-P239-P226, 1911 clone

User avatar

Nutcracker
Junior Member
Posts in topic: 2
Posts: 29
Joined: Fri Dec 22, 2017 3:21 pm

Re: Renewal frustration...

#3

Post by Nutcracker » Sat Dec 30, 2017 8:43 pm

I'm sorry to hear about your frustration with Texas DPS. Maybe getting an Arizona license would help.

User avatar

Keith B
Moderator
Posts in topic: 2
Posts: 17939
Joined: Sat Aug 18, 2007 3:29 pm

Re: Renewal frustration...

#4

Post by Keith B » Sat Dec 30, 2017 8:56 pm

Nutcracker wrote:I'm sorry to hear about your frustration with Texas DPS. Maybe getting an Arizona license would help.
How would that help? He already has his renewed license in hand.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

User avatar

Nutcracker
Junior Member
Posts in topic: 2
Posts: 29
Joined: Fri Dec 22, 2017 3:21 pm

Re: Renewal frustration...

#5

Post by Nutcracker » Sat Dec 30, 2017 9:30 pm

Keith B wrote:
Nutcracker wrote:I'm sorry to hear about your frustration with Texas DPS. Maybe getting an Arizona license would help.
How would that help? He already has his renewed license in hand.
It sounded like he had to contact his representatives to get Texas DPS to issue his original license and now he is still waiting on the renewal and they just say they have 60 days. I'm sorry if I misunderstood, but if not then maybe trying a different state is a quick and easy solution.

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

User avatar

Keith B
Moderator
Posts in topic: 2
Posts: 17939
Joined: Sat Aug 18, 2007 3:29 pm

Re: Renewal frustration...

#6

Post by Keith B » Sun Dec 31, 2017 9:57 am

You are correct, I misread it. Getting an out of state license is never that quick. Most take at least a month or so. However, having a second license as a backup for one that gets lost or expires by accident to cover you in the interim is not a bad idea.

As for timing, I am sure it will show up soon. The only issue is with the holidays the background checks and processing may take a little longer due to people being off on vacation, etc.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

User avatar

Topic author
RogueUSMC
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 5
Posts: 1447
Joined: Tue Apr 30, 2013 12:55 pm
Location: Smith County
Contact:

Re: Renewal frustration...

#7

Post by RogueUSMC » Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:03 am

My status still says background check and fingerprints still under review...SMH

Maybe I am just unlucky.

I am wondering if the guy on the phone also made a note to make mine take maximum time...lol. He certainly wasn't very helpful or encouraging...
A man will fight harder for his interests than for his rights.
- Napoleon Bonaparte
PFC Paul E. Ison USMC 1916-2001

User avatar

Topic author
RogueUSMC
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 5
Posts: 1447
Joined: Tue Apr 30, 2013 12:55 pm
Location: Smith County
Contact:

Re: Renewal frustration...

#8

Post by RogueUSMC » Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:04 am

What irritates me the most I think is that my wait time didn't start until ten days after I submitted my application electronically. I guess it takes them that long for their website to let them know it was there.
A man will fight harder for his interests than for his rights.
- Napoleon Bonaparte
PFC Paul E. Ison USMC 1916-2001

User avatar

allisji
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 2
Posts: 894
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2015 10:44 am
Location: Seabrook

Re: Renewal frustration...

#9

Post by allisji » Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:27 am

Why does the renewal process get 60 days?

They shouldn't have to do a full background check, and they already have the fingerprints.

In the year 2018 this process should be easily automated. Electronic application is received. Electronic background check commences (only needs to include the period of time since the previous license was issued), if no disqualifiers were identified then it should automatically go to printing.

It shouldn't even require a DPS agent to look at it unless something iffy shows up on the background.
LTC since 2015
I have contacted my state rep Dennis Paul about co-sponsoring HB560.

User avatar

oljames3
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 1628
Joined: Sat Jun 14, 2014 1:21 pm
Location: Elgin, Texas
Contact:

Re: Renewal frustration...

#10

Post by oljames3 » Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:22 am

allisji wrote:Why does the renewal process get 60 days?

They shouldn't have to do a full background check, and they already have the fingerprints.

In the year 2018 this process should be easily automated. Electronic application is received. Electronic background check commences (only needs to include the period of time since the previous license was issued), if no disqualifiers were identified then it should automatically go to printing.

It shouldn't even require a DPS agent to look at it unless something iffy shows up on the background.
Government Code 411.185 LICENSE RENEWAL PROCEDURE
(e) The department shall renew the license of a license holder who meets all the eligibility requirements to continue to hold a license and submits all the renewal materials described by Subsection (a). Not later than the 45th day after receipt of the renewal materials, the department shall issue the renewed license or notify the license holder in writing that the department denied the license holder’s renewal application.

Page 14 of LTC-16 (revised), January 2018 edition.
http://www.dps.texas.gov/InternetForms/Forms/LTC-16.pdf
O. Lee James, III Captain, US Army (Retired 2012), Honorable Order of St. Barbara
2/19FA, 1st Cavalry Division 73-78; 56FA BDE (Pershing) 78-81
NRA Distinguished Life Member (Disabled Vet), TSRA, NAR L1

User avatar

allisji
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 2
Posts: 894
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2015 10:44 am
Location: Seabrook

Re: Renewal frustration...

#11

Post by allisji » Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:41 am

oljames3 wrote:
allisji wrote:Why does the renewal process get 60 days?

They shouldn't have to do a full background check, and they already have the fingerprints.

In the year 2018 this process should be easily automated. Electronic application is received. Electronic background check commences (only needs to include the period of time since the previous license was issued), if no disqualifiers were identified then it should automatically go to printing.

It shouldn't even require a DPS agent to look at it unless something iffy shows up on the background.
Government Code 411.185 LICENSE RENEWAL PROCEDURE
(e) The department shall renew the license of a license holder who meets all the eligibility requirements to continue to hold a license and submits all the renewal materials described by Subsection (a). Not later than the 45th day after receipt of the renewal materials, the department shall issue the renewed license or notify the license holder in writing that the department denied the license holder’s renewal application.

Page 14 of LTC-16 (revised), January 2018 edition.
http://www.dps.texas.gov/InternetForms/Forms/LTC-16.pdf
hmm, if the law states that they only have 45 days, then the office is wrong in telling the OP that they have 60 days. I would still contend that license renewal should be automated and should take less than 30 days, except for rare special cases.
LTC since 2015
I have contacted my state rep Dennis Paul about co-sponsoring HB560.

User avatar

Topic author
RogueUSMC
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 5
Posts: 1447
Joined: Tue Apr 30, 2013 12:55 pm
Location: Smith County
Contact:

Re: Renewal frustration...

#12

Post by RogueUSMC » Thu Jan 04, 2018 1:04 pm

I was frustrated when I called them. He just kept telling me how long they had to get it done. I haven't had so much as a speeding ticket since they did my background check the first time.
A man will fight harder for his interests than for his rights.
- Napoleon Bonaparte
PFC Paul E. Ison USMC 1916-2001


infoman
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 2
Posts: 555
Joined: Mon May 11, 2009 12:51 pm

Re: Renewal frustration...

#13

Post by infoman » Fri Jan 05, 2018 3:09 pm

You have no reason to be frustrated until day 46. You mentioned paying online on Dec 6th I believe. Mark your calendar to call in Jan 21st. Until then take a big chill pill. don’t call, email, check status until that date. Just advice.

User avatar

Topic author
RogueUSMC
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 5
Posts: 1447
Joined: Tue Apr 30, 2013 12:55 pm
Location: Smith County
Contact:

Re: Renewal frustration...

#14

Post by RogueUSMC » Fri Jan 05, 2018 11:10 pm

But according to the guy on the phone at regulatory services, the 45 days didn't start until the 16th...
A man will fight harder for his interests than for his rights.
- Napoleon Bonaparte
PFC Paul E. Ison USMC 1916-2001


loktite
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 420
Joined: Fri Mar 13, 2015 8:13 pm

Re: Renewal frustration...

#15

Post by loktite » Sat Jan 06, 2018 6:26 am

That's correct. It's the same as if you had snail-mailed it. The timer doesn't start until someone has actually eyes-on verified and entered it into their work queue. AFAIK, the online submission only puts your application into the "inbox," it isn't actually in their queue yet. I'm not saying I agree with the timing, but that's my understanding of how it's working.
NRA Endowment Member

Post Reply

Return to “The "Waiting Room"”