Calling the DPS?

So, your CHL Application has been filed and the clock has slowed to a crawl - tell us about it!

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
Grundy1133
Posts in topic: 6

Calling the DPS?

Post by Grundy1133 »

So I've been browsing around the "Waiting Room" and I've noticed that a lot of people who have been waiting for an update on their application usually post that their licenses have been mailed only a few days after they called the DPS. so it makes me wonder if when you call them, if they put your application at the top of the queue or if it's just dumb luck that after they call all of a sudden their applications get accepted. What do you guys think? :confused5
NRA Member

Mike S
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Calling the DPS?

Post by Mike S »

I doubt they move anything to the top of the queue (ahead of those applications that were submitted ahead of the caller's) simply because of a phone call. If there was some error or glitch in their system (which it seems like may have occurred last year for a brief period) or oversight on their part, then they'd likely prioritize it appropriately.

However, I'm thinking since you only completed the application last week (according to your other posts) you might be wasting your (& their) time by calling at only 8 calendar days in. From the feedback I've gotten from students recently the current timeline is between 2-3 weeks from completed application to receipt in the mail. But also keep in mind that depends on how many applications are in ahead of yours.

Topic author
Grundy1133

Post by Grundy1133 »

Mike S wrote:I doubt they move anything to the top of the queue (ahead of those applications that were submitted ahead of the caller's) simply because of a phone call. If there was some error or glitch in their system (which it seems like may have occurred last year for a brief period) or oversight on their part, then they'd likely prioritize it appropriately.

However, I'm thinking since you only completed the application last week (according to your other posts) you might be wasting your (& their) time by calling at only 8 calendar days in. From the feedback I've gotten from students recently the current timeline is between 2-3 weeks from completed application to receipt in the mail. But also keep in mind that depends on how many applications are in ahead of yours.
I didn't plan on calling them. Just wanted to see what to expect or do if it takes upward of 40+ days. It seems after they call, it gets sent out a day or 2 later.
NRA Member

RPBrown

Post by RPBrown »

Grundy1133 wrote:
Mike S wrote:I doubt they move anything to the top of the queue (ahead of those applications that were submitted ahead of the caller's) simply because of a phone call. If there was some error or glitch in their system (which it seems like may have occurred last year for a brief period) or oversight on their part, then they'd likely prioritize it appropriately.

I didn't plan on calling them. Just wanted to see what to expect or do if it takes upward of 40+ days. It seems after they call, it gets sent out a day or 2 later.
What you can expect is they will tell you they have 60 days. I would not even bother calling until after the 60 days.
NRA-Benefactor Life member
TSRA-Life member

Topic author
Grundy1133

Post by Grundy1133 »

RPBrown wrote:
Grundy1133 wrote:

What you can expect is they will tell you they have 60 days. I would not even bother calling until after the 60 days.
well i did an experiment.... i went ahead and called the DPS on friday march 9th and asked about my application status. the lady informed me im only 10 days into the processing and they have up to 60 days i said o ok thanks and hung up.... now today monday the 12th, my background check went from "under review" to "completed" which strengthens my original suspicion on this topic... idk if it was just coincidence, but you gotta admit, calling on friday and then on monday my application moves along.... idk. seems weird if you ask me.
NRA Member

Neverenough
Posts in topic: 11

Post by Neverenough »

I on week #3. Everything submitted, and I have called a few times to make sure they have everything. Nothing showing in their website at all....no status, no update, nada. I am thinking that calling may have moved me to the bottom of the list!!

Topic author
Grundy1133

Post by Grundy1133 »

Neverenough wrote:I on week #3. Everything submitted, and I have called a few times to make sure they have everything. Nothing showing in their website at all....no status, no update, nada. I am thinking that calling may have moved me to the bottom of the list!!
wow... week 3 and theres no status update on their website? that's odd indeed... when you called what did they say about the no status on their site?
NRA Member

Neverenough

Post by Neverenough »

"We have everything and it can take up to 60 days".......I am fine with it taking 60 days, but I know something is off on their end, because I haven't seen anything update......to this day. Called today and told the same thing. If nothing updates by Wednesday, I will ask to speak to a Supervisor and perhaps they can at least explain why the website does not have an update.

Neverenough

Post by Neverenough »

After 5-6 calls with no action, I send an online inquiry last night at 10pm. I just checked and I now have all green checks, background pending...so it looks like online inquiry gets a better response than a phone call.

flipmasterJ
Posts in topic: 5

Post by flipmasterJ »

Neverenough wrote:After 5-6 calls with no action, I send an online inquiry last night at 10pm. I just checked and I now have all green checks, background pending...so it looks like online inquiry gets a better response than a phone call.
What did you say in your inquiry?

brucesw2

Post by brucesw2 »

you guys are lucky back a few years ago it took at the least 60 days to get a license mine was like 72 days if i remember corrrectly...patience is the key i can remember waitng on my first license.. it will come all in due time.. maybe try looking at different styles of holsters and carry gear to pass the time during the wait and reading up on the texas laws concerning carry there is alot of information here on this forum also.. good luck you guys

Neverenough

Post by Neverenough »

flipmasterJ wrote:
Neverenough wrote:After 5-6 calls with no action, I send an online inquiry last night at 10pm. I just checked and I now have all green checks, background pending...so it looks like online inquiry gets a better response than a phone call.
Basically that I was not looking to get my license quicker than 60 days, but given the status of other people I know who applied at the same time, something should be showing on the website. What I am trying to avoid is getting to 60 days, and then someone realize there was an issue that I could have taken care of now. They are always helpful when I called, but I don't think the people you speak to are the ones processing the paperwork and I would imagine that 95% of their calls are from people asking for a status update.

My original application date was 2/26...with everything submitted by 2/28. So given that, it took 20 days for any sort of status to appear on their site. It might still take 60 days, but I feel better that it appears to be moving along and i can now visually see the "check marks" that they have everything they need.

flipmasterJ

Post by flipmasterJ »

Neverenough wrote:
flipmasterJ wrote:
Basically that I was not looking to get my license quicker than 60 days, but given the status of other people I know who applied at the same time, something should be showing on the website. What I am trying to avoid is getting to 60 days, and then someone realize there was an issue that I could have taken care of now. They are always helpful when I called, but I don't think the people you speak to are the ones processing the paperwork and I would imagine that 95% of their calls are from people asking for a status update.

My original application date was 2/26...with everything submitted by 2/28. So given that, it took 20 days for any sort of status to appear on their site. It might still take 60 days, but I feel better that it appears to be moving along and i can now visually see the "check marks" that they have everything they need.

Well I took a page out of your book and submitted an online inquiry as well about the status of my application. All my stuff was submitted on 2/7, still the same status since.

Neverenough

Post by Neverenough »

Good luck! I hope it works for you. Interested to hear if something changes soon.

flipmasterJ

Post by flipmasterJ »

Neverenough wrote:Good luck! I hope it works for you. Interested to hear if something changes soon.
Well looks like you may have something here. As of this morning, PRINT PENDING!

Return to “The "Waiting Room"”