Time Frame for Deferred Adjudication Applicant

So, your CHL Application has been filed and the clock has slowed to a crawl - tell us about it!

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
orangetx
Posts in topic: 5

Time Frame for Deferred Adjudication Applicant

Post by orangetx »

I notice that it is BEYOND hard to find a good solid answer for those trying to get a CHL with background issues. YES, we have done our time and walked the super tight road of being great model citizens, and yet, to apply for a license we are in fear that a one time mistake will hinder us for life.
Well, I am of such as a person, and I want to share what I know and went thru. Hopefully, it will help others that have fallen in this worried state.

Timeline:
TX Application: 04/19/2018
Finger Prints: 04/24/2018
CHL Class: 06/17/2018 (2 months after signing up, I wanted to be sure background check was done beforehand)
Submittal of Documents: CHL Class certificate 06/17/2018 (Sunday)
Submittal of Documents: Court Documents with Disposition 06/19/2018
Submittal of Documents: Notary from County Cleark office for the end of DA Probation 06/22/2018
Acknowledgment of Documents Received: 06/18/2018 (CHL certificate)
Acknowledgment of Documents Received: 06/21/2018 (Court documents)
Acknowledgment of Documents Received: 06/25/2018 (Notary Document)
Website checklist status: All Green 06/29/2018
Print Pending: 06/29/2018
License Received in hand:

Story:
In my early 20's I messed up. Simple as that. 2004 I was charged with a 3rd-degree felony for POSS CS PG 1 >=1G<4G. Disposition date: 5/2004 It was my 1st time and was put on 5 yr deferred adjudication. 500 community service hours, and fines out the azz. Did it all, no mistakes.
Applied for a 1st license in 2012, 8 years after my disposition, I was denied, did not know why and the penal code made NO sense at the time.
Come to understand it that you must wait 10 years AFTER disposition date to apply for a permit. If you have a DA on your record for something not involving injury to a person and or robbery.

During the 8 years, I did buy a gun at a local show. Went the proper channels, and after a 5 day wait, was cleared. I did this twice and always had to wait 5 days to clear. Not sure what the waiting time to purchase a gun for a 'convicted' felony, but I was able to get one. I figured, if I can vote, I can own.

2nd time applying was 04/2018 13 years AFTER disposition. I looked online for all type of clues to see if a 'convicted' felony could get a CHL. Since the penal code does not say it easy and simple for us not in law. My 1st time, I had to send in documents about my case, and I knew that could be a hold up since the mail is slow. So the 2nd time, I made sure to submit all info I could with the online process. I wish I would have done it all at once, but again, lack of info was my issue. I even called the state, explained my issue, and was told I should be fine. They will not rest your nerves and say "Hey, your good!", but if you are in doubt, call them.

Just remember, if you have a record, that is notfor injury to family, child support, robbery, domestic/spousal abuse, you will not be approved. I AM NO LAWYER, I share this info with anyone who will read it from the hours of research and endless sleep studying the penal code.
Drug convictions you can get one:
Felony: 10 years after disposition date
Misermendor: 5 years after disposition date (don't quote me on that)

I think that's most of it. Again, I just hope this will help someone down the road.
Who’s interrupting my Kung Fu?!

apostate
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Time Frame for Deferred Adjudication Applicant

Post by apostate »

Deferred adjudication for a felony requires the ten year wait for a Texas LTC.

A felony conviction is permanent unless pardoned, etc. This is Federal law.

crdande
Posts in topic: 2

Post by crdande »

I had a similar experience.

I had a DA (Colorado calls them something different but essentially the same) in 2007.

I held off on taking the class until I was out of the 10 yr window, but evertime i have purchased a gun (since moving to TX) i have been delayed, go back later and pick it up. I never had an issue in Colorado.

I read that you needed to submit court paperwork but thought they would be obligated to look this stuff up themselves (I was wrong)

I submitted everything ~5/27 except disposition paperwork
Everything was green except background fingerprints etc.

I got a letter in the mail ~6/29 (please submit supporting documents for reported arrest)
Uploaded documents the same day I had them ready but didn't think it was really necessary, i'm not in a huge hurry to get this done figured if i had to wait a little longer it wouldn't matter

Documents received 7/2

7/5 - still waiting, we will see if i submitted enough information for them

Topic author
orangetx

Post by orangetx »

I learned from my 1st failed attempt to submit any and everything to them. I too thought they would be able to pull records up. But, I hope anyone else out there who may want to get an LTC with past mistakes can use this thread to get some answers.

Topic author
orangetx

Post by orangetx »

Update on my status, I called today, they said it was pushed to production (07/05/2018) and should be in the mail soon.
I think the website just has not been updated since it still is showing Print Pending.
orangetx wrote: Fri Jun 29, 2018 8:42 am

03Lightningrocks
Posts in topic: 1

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

This is a good example of why it is wrong to deny based on a successfully completed deferred adjudication. More times than not innocent people are talked into this because they have a lack of financial resources. Deferred is most often offered by the DA when they know the case for prosecution is weak. If they have you and know it, they are not going to let you off with deferred.

Congratulation on your LTC. :fire :txflag:

Box-T
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Box-T »

@orangetx : I was in the same boat as you and am now going through the application process. I have green on everything except fingerprints and background check. I am assuming I will get a request for criminal history. What exactly do I need to provide them? The disposition is just a summary of the case, correct? Also, what is the notarized forms you submitted? Thanks in advance.

Topic author
orangetx

Post by orangetx »

Yes it's just a summary that says you completed probation successful and have been dismissed from A.D.

I just went to the county cleark and asked for the finial disposal of my case. They will stamp it and that's it. If they ask do send it, but even if they don't and you put it on your application I would submit them soon as you can. Don't even give them the chance to slow your application down.

Hopefully this answers your question or give you some where to start.

Good luck with everything!

Topic author
orangetx

Post by orangetx »

orangetx wrote: Fri Jun 29, 2018 8:42 am
Timeline:
TX Application: 04/19/2018
Finger Prints: 04/24/2018
CHL Class: 06/17/2018 (2 months after signing up, I wanted to be sure background check was done beforehand)
Submittal of Documents: CHL Class certificate 06/17/2018 (Sunday)
Submittal of Documents: Court Documents with Disposition 06/19/2018
Submittal of Documents: Notary from County Cleark office for the end of DA Probation 06/22/2018
Acknowledgment of Documents Received: 06/18/2018 (CHL certificate)
Acknowledgment of Documents Received: 06/21/2018 (Court documents)
Acknowledgment of Documents Received: 06/25/2018 (Notary Document)
IN HAND ON 07/10/2018! :anamatedbanana
less than a month after doing application. I think doing application early help push me thru.

Box-T

Post by Box-T »

Great news on getting your license.

I think I'm going up to the courthouse tomorrow and submit those last bit of forms. I assume that is what might be slowing things up so I am just going to do instead of waiting for them to let me know that is what is delinquent.

Thanks again! :fire

Box-T

Post by Box-T »

License is in the mail! :txflag:

Submitted application months the ago
Submitted Class certificate on June 15th
Fingerprints a couple days later
Decided to send in court documents on July 17th
Everything approved - print pending July 20th
Mailed July 24th

Just over a month

crdande
Posts in topic: 2

Post by crdande »

7/24 print pending.

Took some time but that’s what I expected coming from out of state with an old arrest on the file.

Return to “The "Waiting Room"”