My Wait Begins...

So, your CHL Application has been filed and the clock has slowed to a crawl - tell us about it!

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
cs1021
Posts in topic: 3

My Wait Begins...

Post by cs1021 »

Hi y'all. First off, new to the board, second, after putting it off for several years I finally got off my butt and applied for my LTC.

So, for anyone interested, here is my timeline thus far.

Completed Online Application: 6/13/18
Took Class and Fingerprints : 7/7/18
Submitted Docs : 7/718
Docs Rec'd email : 7/9/18

Website Updated: 7/14/18 (Everything green except Background Under Review.)

Print Pending : 7/17/18

MAILED : 7/20/18 !!!

:woohoo :anamatedbanana

Any recommendations on how to pass the time while I wait? I have IWB holster for my M&P Shield 9mm that I will use, but am also Looking into OWB options for the Shield, as well as IWB and OWB options for the Glock (have a 32 right now and will be getting a 19 in the future).

I would also appreciate any recommended reading on laws and/or examples of shoot or no shoot scenarios, or any relevant stories and cases.

Thanks in advance. Looking forward to exploring the forum more!
Last edited by cs1021 on Fri Jul 20, 2018 9:59 am, edited 3 times in total.

orangetx
Posts in topic: 1

Re: My Wait Begins...

Post by orangetx »

The waiting is the hardest part. You will check that site like clockwork and it will slowly give you results. Honestly, they will not move fast enough for you to go from start to mailed status. I just finished my hell weeks and should have mine in tomorrow (if sweet baby Jesus says so)!
My wait exercise was getting used to having my holster on my person at all times. Work, going out, driving, making sure I am used to it before I can carry. Then practicing my draw, just having fun for being able to express our rights!
I am new to the game and sounds like you got more mileage under your belt than me, but I have the Alien Gear kit, and it's about the best item I have purchased thus far. But that's thoughts on the matter.
All in all, congrats on soon being one of the many, and good luck with that wait!
:txflag: :patriot: :clapping: :patriot:
Who’s interrupting my Kung Fu?!

oljames3
Posts in topic: 2

Post by oljames3 »

cs1021 wrote: Mon Jul 09, 2018 4:13 pm Hi y'all. First off, new to the board, second, after putting it off for several years I finally got off my butt and applied for my LTC.

No status showing on DPS website as of yet. Hopefully the wait is short.

Any recommendations on how to pass the time while I wait? I have IWB holster for my M&P Shield 9mm that I will use, but am also Looking into OWB options for the Shield, as well as IWB and OWB options for the Glock (have a 32 right now and will be getting a 19 in the future).

I would also appreciate any recommended reading on laws and/or examples of shoot or no shoot scenarios, or any relevant stories and cases.

Welcome to the forum!

Invest time in learning the law, carrying around the house, and taking professional training.

Reading on Texas laws: https://book.uslawshield.com/texas/
Real-life self-defense videos: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCsE_m2 ... 4mw/videos
Draw stroke: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7OZfgutNufU
OWB Holster: http://www.safariland.com/products/hols ... e&start=14

Having made the decision to carry a firearm for self-defense, you need to decide for yourself that you will shoot another human being. You need to be prepared for the physical and emotional aftermath. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00J90F8W2/re ... TF8&btkr=1

Seek out a reputable, qualified instructor and pursue training. https://www.krtraining.com/whatclass.html
O. Lee James, III Captain, US Army (Retired 2012), Honorable Order of St. Barbara
2/19FA, 1st Cavalry Division 73-78; 56FA BDE (Pershing) 78-81
NRA, NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Instructor, Rangemaster Certified, GOA, TSRA, NAR L1

03Lightningrocks

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

Every time I see one of these "wait begins" threads i think about my first CHL and waiting 4 months to receive it after all the paperwork was in. Some at that time were 6-8 month waits. It gave us plenty of time to practice carry with empty holsters. :biggrinjester:

Liberty

Post by Liberty »

03Lightningrocks wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:59 am Every time I see one of these "wait begins" threads i think about my first CHL and waiting 4 months to receive it after all the paperwork was in. Some at that time were 6-8 month waits. It gave us plenty of time to practice carry with empty holsters. :biggrinjester:
Yeah makes me kinda chuckle when I read about people complaining about waits over 4 to 6 weeks.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

CJWTX

Post by CJWTX »

Here's my timeline for reference:

6/26 - took class
6/26 - submit application and uploaded LTC-100
7/02 - completed fingerprinting
7/03 - checklist complete on website, minus background check under review
7/10 - background check complete, print pending

took about a week for anything to show on the website after application and LTC-100 were uploaded. hang in there.

cmgee67

Post by cmgee67 »

Congrats and be safe. Just a couple words of advice if I may. Carry everywhere you can and anytime you can legally. Make it a habit. Don’t ever think 🤔 oh it’s only a 5 minute run to the store or taking out the trash nothing bad will happen. 95% of the time that’s right but what about the other 5? I carry all the time so I at least have a chance. Remember carrying a gun does not mean that you will survive. Carrying a gun gives you the opportunity to survive. The fact of the matter is, when God calls you home then that’s it. Be responsible. Don’t fiddle with the gun in public. It’s goin to feel like everyone is watching you and you will think that they can see your gun. Most people will never pay you any mind. Those that notice usually are other people like us. You have to change your lifestyle now. You must learn to dress around the gun. Get a good belt and good holster. Don’t waste money on uncle mikes specials or black hawk serpas. Milt sparks for leather, vedder holsters, or bravo concealment for kydex. I’m sure you will end up with a holster box of shame like the rest of us but maybe you won’t have to have as many😂. Choose your carry piece carefully and practice then practice and then practice some more. If you can afford it take some advanced training. You owe it to yourself to be safe, your family, and friends. Always follow the firearm safety rules. Don’t listen to what others say about what gun you should carry. If you want to use a .32 auto hey that’s on you. If you can shoot it well and it’s reliable then who are we to judge. I’m glad your joined the forum. You will find a wealth of knowledge here. These fine people know their stuff and are happy to share. I have yet to find a forum as clean and well ran. Enjoy and have fun!

Topic author
cs1021

Post by cs1021 »

Thanks everyone!

As far as the wait...I've done the NFA wait a few times. It makes a month or two wait seem like nothing :lol: However, I'd be lying if I said I wasn't hoping I'm one of these two weeks waits I see people taking about.

I do need to shop for a decent belt. I have a 5.11 belt that works well, its nylon but its plenty stiff and supports well, but the buckle is fairly large and tends to dig in to my stomach when sitting for long periods like traveling in a vehicle. Also, it doesn't really suit my "style" so to speak. I'm not someone who wears the tactical pants and combat boots everywhere. More of a jeans and t-shirt guy, shorts occasionally.

I'm debating trying out the Alien Gear holsters. What I have now is just a full kydex, single clip holster from On Your Six Designs, they are local to me and its a great, simple holster. I have been wanting to try the hybrid style like Alien Gear, Crossbreed, Galco, etc. to see if its anymore comfortable for me that way. Not that the kydex is bad, but obviously the more comfortable I can make it the better. I have heard mixed reviews on Alien Gear though. Some say its the best thing since sliced bread, and others say its cheap garbage. I guess I'll just have to try it for myself.

CJWTX

Post by CJWTX »

I have a couple alien gears. They've been comfy in the limited use they've gotten so far.

oljames3

Post by oljames3 »

cs1021 wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:29 am Thanks everyone!

As far as the wait...I've done the NFA wait a few times. It makes a month or two wait seem like nothing :lol: However, I'd be lying if I said I wasn't hoping I'm one of these two weeks waits I see people taking about.

I do need to shop for a decent belt. I have a 5.11 belt that works well, its nylon but its plenty stiff and supports well, but the buckle is fairly large and tends to dig in to my stomach when sitting for long periods like traveling in a vehicle. Also, it doesn't really suit my "style" so to speak. I'm not someone who wears the tactical pants and combat boots everywhere. More of a jeans and t-shirt guy, shorts occasionally.

I'm debating trying out the Alien Gear holsters. What I have now is just a full kydex, single clip holster from On Your Six Designs, they are local to me and its a great, simple holster. I have been wanting to try the hybrid style like Alien Gear, Crossbreed, Galco, etc. to see if its anymore comfortable for me that way. Not that the kydex is bad, but obviously the more comfortable I can make it the better. I have heard mixed reviews on Alien Gear though. Some say its the best thing since sliced bread, and others say its cheap garbage. I guess I'll just have to try it for myself.
Kore Essentials Gun Belt. https://www.koreessentials.com/collections/gun-belts I use the leather version for all modes of dress.

On hybrid holsters, the leather backing can, potentially, engage the trigger when you reholster. I can see the possibility of this issue with my Galco King Tuk that I used for 2.5 years until 1/1/16. I never had the issue, but can see the possibility. I no longer use the holster only because I got a new pistol that does not fit it and because I carry openly as my default.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jM6ERorBLQQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ox7GrdjqRXk

Alien Gear seems to me to be as over priced as iPhones. Bulky, too. However, that is just me. One of my coworkers is very fond of his Alien Gear. I carry my S&W M&P M2.0 9mm 5inch in a Safariland 7TS ALS retention holster. My 21 year old son carries his S&W M&P M2.0 Comact 9mm in a Bravo Concealment IWB kydex holster. My wife carries her Walther PPS M2 LE in a Remora RFT pocket holster. I carry a Ruger LCR .38 in a Remora RFT as a backup gun.

As with most things in life, we must each decide which risks we are willing to manage and which benefits matter most to us.
O. Lee James, III Captain, US Army (Retired 2012), Honorable Order of St. Barbara
2/19FA, 1st Cavalry Division 73-78; 56FA BDE (Pershing) 78-81
NRA, NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Instructor, Rangemaster Certified, GOA, TSRA, NAR L1

Topic author
cs1021

Post by cs1021 »

cs1021 wrote: Mon Jul 09, 2018 4:13 pm Hi y'all. First off, new to the board, second, after putting it off for several years I finally got off my butt and applied for my LTC.

Website Updated: 7/14/18 (Everything green except Background Under Review.)

Print Pending : 7/17/18

Print Pending as of today! Shouldn't be long now.

This may not be the place for it but I'll try and ask here before I start a new thread somewhere else....

I always told myself that I wouldn't open carry, didn't want to draw any extra attention to myself from LEO's or store managers etc. However, after reading several experiences here on the board it seems that this is pretty much a non issue. I had this impression that if I open carried, every time I saw an officer in public I'd be getting stopped and asked for my license. I'm getting the impression this is not the case.

Anyone care to share their experiences and/or tips for OC?

Return to “The "Waiting Room"”