New to TX, now the waiting game starts

So, your CHL Application has been filed and the clock has slowed to a crawl - tell us about it!

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
txtransplant
Posts in topic: 4

New to TX, now the waiting game starts

Post by txtransplant »

Hey everyone, new(er) Texas resident here. Moved here from a yank state back in June, got way too busy with work and life, and only recently got around to getting the LTC stuff taken care of. I ended up doing things a little out of order, I'm hoping that doesn't interfere with anything.

The timeline so far:

9/4 - Applied
9/19 - Fingerprints
10/6 - Completed class and range, submitted LTC-100

I will say that although Texas gets a reputation for being the "wild west", the application and this process is anything but. I've moved numerous times in the last 4-5 years, across different states, and I have a feeling that's going to increase the processing time. I am thankful that it's a-okay in TX to carry in the car without an LTC, otherwise I would have rushed this process through a long time ago.

I am a little surprised that I can walk into the county courthouse up north and walk out with a permit in 20 minutes for $20 but down here I have to go jump through hoops and pay many times that. Either way, I'm happy to be out of the snow and gray skies and I look forward to carrying again.
EDC: S&W M&P Shield 9 FDE | Federal HST 124gr +P

Grundy1133
Posts in topic: 1

Re: New to TX, now the waiting game starts

Post by Grundy1133 »

Welcome. I think the reason why people say that is because they're jealous of us. The only time Texas is the wild west imo is when you argue about mattresses in the dumpster. :biggrinjester:

edit: I hope you enjoy triple digit temperature. :cheers2:
NRA Member

Topic author
txtransplant

Post by txtransplant »

Thanks, Grundy! I will definitely be avoiding any neighborly disputes regarding dumpsters and/or mattresses.

I'm happy with the heat as long as the humidity isn't out of control, and it hasn't been too bad here in the DFW area. There is a lot to be jealous of here. I especially love rubbing the "no state income tax" thing in the faces of all my friends back home whenever they complain about how ugly their paychecks look. Good economy, solid job market, relatively affordable housing, good weather, fewer leftys. There's a lot to love about Texas.

:txflag:

Flightmare
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Flightmare »

Welcome to the forum! You mentioned being in the DFW area. Several of us get together for breakfast once or twice a month up here. There is a group meeting in Frisco this coming Saturday 10/13/18 at Rudy's off the Dallas North Tollway at 8am. The following Saturday 10/20/18, there's a group that meets at Rudy's in Arlington off I-20 at 8am. You are more than welcome to come to one or both if you'd like. Great group of people to sit and chat with.
Deplorable lunatic since 2016

spectre
Banned

Post by spectre »

txtransplant wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 11:51 am I will say that although Texas gets a reputation for being the "wild west", the application and this process is anything but. I've moved numerous times in the last 4-5 years, across different states, and I have a feeling that's going to increase the processing time. I am thankful that it's a-okay in TX to carry in the car without an LTC, otherwise I would have rushed this process through a long time ago.

I am a little surprised that I can walk into the county courthouse up north and walk out with a permit in 20 minutes for $20 but down here I have to go jump through hoops and pay many times that.
Twenty five years ago it was easier to get a concealed carry license in NYC than TX. Restoring gun rights in Texas is a slow, ongoing process, and there's still a long way to go as shown by the TX AG having to sue Austin, but at least it's better than twenty five years ago. :txflag:
I'm in a good place right now
Not emotionally or financially
But I am at the gun store

Topic author
txtransplant

Post by txtransplant »

Flightmare wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 1:08 pm Welcome to the forum! You mentioned being in the DFW area. Several of us get together for breakfast once or twice a month up here. There is a group meeting in Frisco this coming Saturday 10/13/18 at Rudy's off the Dallas North Tollway at 8am. The following Saturday 10/20/18, there's a group that meets at Rudy's in Arlington off I-20 at 8am. You are more than welcome to come to one or both if you'd like. Great group of people to sit and chat with.
Thanks! Sorry I didn't see this earlier. My weekends lately have been busy with flight training, I'm going for my PPL. I'll have to take you guys up on that offer at some point, though!
spectre wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 1:22 pm Twenty five years ago it was easier to get a concealed carry license in NYC than TX. Restoring gun rights in Texas is a slow, ongoing process, and there's still a long way to go as shown by the TX AG having to sue Austin, but at least it's better than twenty five years ago. :txflag:
That's very true. I'm glad we have people fighting to maintain our rights though, and if there's anything I can do as Joe Citizen, I'm certainly willing to help out.

Posting today because of an update. Finally went all green on the checklist this morning, now at print pending. So 21 days from submission to this point. Hopefully not much longer until the plastic arrives.

Flightmare
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Flightmare »

Congratulations! Maybe you can make our November breakfast. November 10th in Frisco, and November 17th in Arlington. We usually post a reminder in the thread about it the week before.
Deplorable lunatic since 2016

Topic author
txtransplant

Post by txtransplant »

I'll keep an eye out.

The plastic arrived today! So 26 days from the time of submission to the LTC in hand. Not bad. Not great.. but not bad! Man is it nice to be carrying again.

TexanVeteran

Post by TexanVeteran »

txtransplant wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 11:51 am Hey everyone, new(er) Texas resident here. Moved here from a yank state back in June, got way too busy with work and life, and only recently got around to getting the LTC stuff taken care of. I ended up doing things a little out of order, I'm hoping that doesn't interfere with anything.

The timeline so far:

9/4 - Applied
9/19 - Fingerprints
10/6 - Completed class and range, submitted LTC-100

I will say that although Texas gets a reputation for being the "wild west", the application and this process is anything but. I've moved numerous times in the last 4-5 years, across different states, and I have a feeling that's going to increase the processing time. I am thankful that it's a-okay in TX to carry in the car without an LTC, otherwise I would have rushed this process through a long time ago.

I am a little surprised that I can walk into the county courthouse up north and walk out with a permit in 20 minutes for $20 but down here I have to go jump through hoops and pay many times that. Either way, I'm happy to be out of the snow and gray skies and I look forward to carrying again.
Have you checked the reciprocity mandates? You may be able to carry with your out of state CHL if Texas had reciprocity with it.

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

TexanVeteran wrote: Thu Nov 22, 2018 11:38 am Have you checked the reciprocity mandates? You may be able to carry with your out of state CHL if Texas had reciprocity with it.
That is as long as your out-of-state license is still valid. Once you legally establish residency in Texas, if your state issues non-resident permits (some don't), then you may need to request a change of address to stay valid.

Some states do not issue a non-resident license. For example, if you were a Missouri resident and had a CCP, then moved to Texas, then minute you establish residency in Texas your Missouri license is no longer valid.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

Return to “The "Waiting Room"”