Anyone need additional documentation?

So, your CHL Application has been filed and the clock has slowed to a crawl - tell us about it!

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
GalvestonSheepdog
Posts in topic: 2

Anyone need additional documentation?

Post by GalvestonSheepdog »

So here’s a quick run down of what I’m dealing with, I’ve had no criminal record or any history with running into law enforcement for my entire life except for one incident in February 2014 where, I won’t get into details, but I was desperate for money so I took advantage of people and it came back to bite me. I was arrested for a felony offense, was released on bail and went back to work the next day. I literally waited until earlier this year (I was afraid to remind them had I fallen through the cracks) to ask my bailbondsman to look into why I never got a court date or any contact from the court system at all and they weren’t sure. I contacted the police department directly and they said the DA refused to see the case (cause I didn’t really do anything illegal, they thought so until the evidence showed otherwise). Well that’s great and all but fast forward to Oct 2019 and I’ve finally made the decision to get my LTC, took my class on Oct 4, submitted everything over the next week, got an email confirmation that all documents were received on the 9th and they have 60 days and all that. My status has been stuck on fingerprints under review and background check under review since then...has anyone else had them ask for additional paperwork? I’m afraid that they may think I still have some pending felony case out there and will put me on hold for as long as possible. I’ve asked the felony records of the county to provide something that shows it all disappeared and I was never charged but they say they don’t have anything for that very reason. I really want to be able to carry since I’m not a criminal but criminals don’t get licenses to carry guns.

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Re: Anyone need additional documentation?

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

Have a criminal history done on yourself in the county where the charges were initially filed. It will not show anything and you will get a letter so stating. You will be able to use this for DPS.

Did you disclose the arrest on your LTC application? If so, then you will be asked to provide "disposition documents." The letter showing no record will suffice. If you did not disclose the arrest, then DPS can deny your application on that basis. They usually don't if the arrest is several years old, but yours occurred only five years ago.

Chas.

Topic author
GalvestonSheepdog

Post by GalvestonSheepdog »

Yes sir I did advise them of the arrest and the limited information I did have on it, how soon do they usually let you know they need more?

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

GalvestonSheepdog wrote: Fri Oct 25, 2019 6:31 pm Yes sir I did advise them of the arrest and the limited information I did have on it, how soon do they usually let you know they need more?
That's hard to say, but make sure you don't miss a letter from DPS. You should be fine.

Chas.

Return to “The "Waiting Room"”