Prayer for smokers

Whether the need is great or small, there is power in prayer, especially when God's people raise their voices together.

Moderator: carlson1

jbirdswife
Posts in topic: 1

Post by jbirdswife »

40FIVER wrote:Thanks for this thread. I'm a regular snuff dipper. Although I only dip a can and a half a week, I am just as hooked as a 2 can a day dipper. I've been dipping for 40 years. I've always thought it was not as "bad" as smokers because I don't spit and no one ever knows if I have a dip in or not. But I've just been making excuses. I do hate this habit, but man, it's hard to quit. I don't even want to know how much money I've wasted.

PLease pray for us dippers and smokers, that God will grant us mercy and help in overcoming these addictions. I know it will be hard.

Any help that you can offer will be appreciated.

Charlie
Charlie,

When Jason decided to quit snuff a year and a half ago, we found a great product called Bacc-Off. We ordered it online and it was Fed-Ex'd right to the front door. If you have a loved one that is willing to help you - I think this is a great way to do it!

Basically, the Bacc-Off comes in cans just like snuff. Your loved one mixes the Bacc-Off (which is made of tea leaves) with your snuff, replacing a portion of it. Over time, the amount of Bacc-Off increases and the amount of snuff decreases. Since a loved one is doing the "mixing", you never know how much is actually in there. Jason had been using the Bacc-Off without any snuff mixed in for about 5 weeks before he came to me and said that he thought it would be okay if I stopped mixing the snuff in - he couldn't really taste it anymore! :grin: I was thrilled and he was SO proud of himself!

For a long time we kept ordering the Bacc-Off and Jason used it just like he did snuff. It was less expensive which was one benefit, but since it is made from tea leaves - while I still thought it was gross - I knew it wasn't hurting him. We still keep some of the Bacc-Off in the cabinet just in case he has a really rough day and needs some, but I don't think he has used it in about 3 months.

The website we ordered it from was http://www.dipstop.com

I hope this is helpful to you and anyone else who is struggling with this addiction. I am thankful everyday that it no longer has a hold on the man I love!

Good luck and know that we will be praying for you!

Kimberly

308nato

Post by 308nato »

I quit in 1984 after 30 years of smoking when I had a warning.
started splitting logs and started getting dizzy,couldnt breath,my heart
was pounding so hard I could feel it in my eyes,thats when I knew I had to quit.
So with tons of gum and tooth picks It took me about 3 weeks to not want
any but a little longer to quit reaching in the pocket for them.
Once you finally kick it you just cant stand the smell of it and wonder how
the wife put up with you smelling like an old ashtray, she never smoked.

So to all of you who are trying to quit Lord grant them the strength to
quit smoking .

MrDrummy

Post by MrDrummy »

My father has dipped my whole life, and I think often about how sooner or later it's going to rear up and bite him. This thread kind of hit me, and reminded me to be praying more for that habit.
JLaw wrote:Folks, this thread shows that we have the finest group of men and women in this forum on the whole World Wide Web.

Sure has got me to thinking.

JLaw
I couldn't agree more.

RPBrown
Posts in topic: 3

Post by RPBrown »

Thank you for all the prayers. Day 3 and so far so good. I am using the patches. The wife quit Christmas day and hasn't used the patches for 4 days now. So proud of her. I have had moments and today being the first day back at work will prove challanging (several in my office smoke) but I intend to stick with it.
NRA-Benefactor Life member
TSRA-Life member

repsychler

Post by repsychler »

My fiancee just told me last night she wants to quit smoking. Hopefully we both survive it. :shock:
She says she needs mini tootsie roll pops to help her, but they are hard to find. Anyone know who has them?

flintknapper
Banned

Post by flintknapper »

repsychler wrote:My fiancee just told me last night she wants to quit smoking. Hopefully we both survive it. :shock:
She says she needs mini tootsie roll pops to help her, but they are hard to find. Anyone know who has them?

Yup! http://www.candywarehouse.com/minipops.html
Spartans ask not how many, but where!

Liberty
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Liberty »

repsychler wrote:My fiancee just told me last night she wants to quit smoking. Hopefully we both survive it. :shock:
Try Walgreens. The local one here has them.

Venus Pax

Post by Venus Pax »

I think very highly of you all for quitting. I know its hard; my dh is still addicted to the patches, although he hasn't had a dip in several months.

I've lifted you all up. Keep us posted.
"If a man breaks in your house, he ain't there for iced tea." Mom & Dad.

The NRA & TSRA are a bargain; they're much cheaper than the cold, dead hands experience.

Liberty

Post by Liberty »

So far so good, I still miss my cigars, but I know I'm not going back. I sure `preciate the prayers, they help, It's hardly been difficult.

RPBrown

Post by RPBrown »

Liberty wrote:So far so good, I still miss my cigars, but I know I'm not going back. I sure `preciate the prayers, they help, It's hardly been difficult.
Great job.

All is well on this side too. Haven't even had a patch on in 2 weeks. Although there are times I really want a smoke, I use the Altoid method and the craving passes.

4 weeks today. After 40 years of smoking.
TSRA-Life member

flintknapper
Banned

Post by flintknapper »

Good job guys!

My prayers for your continued success as you leave behind a habit that was nearly sure to wreck your health.

A big thumbs up!
Spartans ask not how many, but where!

Topic author
jbirds1210

Post by jbirds1210 »

Good job! I am really proud of you guys. My Mother stopped smoking recently after 40+ years......I am VERY proud of her.

I know how tough it is.....I think you both deserve to treat yourself to a new gun..

RPB- I still want to help you pick yours out next week :grin:
NRA Life Member
TSRA Life Member

"No man stands so tall as when he stoops to help a child."

RPBrown

Post by RPBrown »

jbirds1210 wrote:Good job! I am really proud of you guys. My Mother stopped smoking recently after 40+ years......I am VERY proud of her.

I know how tough it is.....I think you both deserve to treat yourself to a new gun..

RPB- I still want to help you pick yours out next week :grin:
Thanks Jbird. Its a deal.
TSRA-Life member

Aberdonian

Post by Aberdonian »

I've got six years cigarette free thank God. I quit smoking using nicotine gum but then became addicted to that crap for another year! It really messed up my teeth etc - I know, not supposed to chew it...

Anyway I know I am thru with cigs (one day at a time etc) and what really helps me is when i see someone smoking I watch them dragging in and I visualize all that gunky smoke going into my perfect pink lungs and when they exhale I think about how stupid they look breathing smoke out their mouths - works for me.

Terrible, terrible addiction. I know ex-heroin addicts & alcoholics who say that was nothing compared to giving up nicotine.

Return to “Prayer Requests & Updates”