Prayer for smokers

Whether the need is great or small, there is power in prayer, especially when God's people raise their voices together.

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
jbirds1210
Posts in topic: 2

Prayer for smokers

Post by jbirds1210 »

Hi folks-
There has been a great deal of talk in a few threads on how people are going to stop using tobacco products as a New Years resolution. This is awesome and worthy of prayer! I have mentioned several times that I dipped two cans of snuff a day for fifteen years.....I know it is tough!

I have had some personal issues over the last month in my family that have caused a very strong dislike/hatrid on the grip that cigarettes have on people. The effects of this addiction nearly took a loved one out of my life. We can all use this to remember that we are the keepers of our Brother's. This is a tough burden for anyone to tackle alone. Our support and prayers will make a difference.

Let's send a group request upstairs to squash this addiction for everyone making it a goal to stop and do our part to run the cigarette makers out of business. Thank you.
Jason
Last edited by jbirds1210 on Mon Jan 01, 2007 12:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NRA Life Member
TSRA Life Member

"No man stands so tall as when he stoops to help a child."

HighVelocity
Posts in topic: 1

Post by HighVelocity »

Amen Brother! It truly is an addiction and the decision to quit is one that's not to be taken lightly.
I smoked a pack+ a day for 20 years. My wife and I both quit in 2002 and our lives are better because of it. Not to mention the health of the people around us that were breathing our smoke.

I will gladly add anyone that's serious about quitting to my prayer list.

Other than living longer, a few of the advantages to quitting are; Food tastes and smells better, no more waking up hacking and coughing, You'll smell better, and the money that was being spent on cigarettes could be used on guns and ammo instead. ;-)

FWIW, I used the nicotine patches and altoids mints to beat the addiction.
I am scared of empty guns and keep mine loaded at all times. The family knows the guns are loaded and treats them with respect. Loaded guns cause few accidents; empty guns kill people every year. -Elmer Keith. 1961

age_ranger

Post by age_ranger »

I just heard that the price of cigs went up $1 per pack! If that's not enough incentive to quit, I don't know what is!!!!
http://www.berettaforum.net" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Just remember: Your very best thinking got you where you are now!!!

40FIVER

Post by 40FIVER »

Thanks for this thread. I'm a regular snuff dipper. Although I only dip a can and a half a week, I am just as hooked as a 2 can a day dipper. I've been dipping for 40 years. I've always thought it was not as "bad" as smokers because I don't spit and no one ever knows if I have a dip in or not. But I've just been making excuses. I do hate this habit, but man, it's hard to quit. I don't even want to know how much money I've wasted.

PLease pray for us dippers and smokers, that God will grant us mercy and help in overcoming these addictions. I know it will be hard.

If you're a dipper or smoker and don't want to quit, then we need to pray that God will make you/me sick whenever we indulge. :grin:

Any help that you can offer will be appreciated.

Charlie
40FIVER

longtooth
Posts in topic: 3

Post by longtooth »

40fiver. Many think like you, that dipping is not as bad as smoking.
I have pastored a church for 34 yrs now & what I have found is they are both just as bad as the other. Just different in the consiquinces.
Smokers lung cancer, heart, desease, emphesema, COPD.
They generally die a pretty slow & painful death. Tough on the family to watch.

Dippers have gum, cheek, jaw, & eye cancer that does not kill but disfigures terribly. This is far harder on the dipper to deal with than the family.
Done it too many times w/ too many families. Both are tough.
BTW - Son-in-law quit dipping about 6 months now.:woohoo for him daughter & grandchildren.
Son still dipping. :cry: for wife, & grandchildren there.
Carry 24-7 or guess right.
CHL Instructor. http://www.pdtraining.us" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
NRA/TSRA Life Member - TFC Member #11

Cosmo 9

Post by Cosmo 9 »

HighVelocity wrote:
I did the same, the patches made it much more pleasent for those around me!! I smoked for 28 years been clean for 7 1/2.
These Pretzels are making me thirsty!

longtooth

Post by longtooth »

:hurry: :hurry: :hurry: :hurry:
:hurry: :hurry: :hurry: :hurry:
One hurray for each yr. You will make the rest of the 8th no doubt in my heart. ;-)
CHL Instructor. http://www.pdtraining.us" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

KD5NRH

Post by KD5NRH »

age_ranger wrote:I just heard that the price of cigs went up $1 per pack! If that's not enough incentive to quit, I don't know what is!!!!
Sure, now let's reduce drunk driving by raising the price of alcohol by $1 per drink, and raise the price of ammo by $1/20rds to reduce lead exposure.

TxFire

Post by TxFire »

I dipped for about 12 years and was up to over a can a day. I almost 5 years ago and it was the best thing I did. I used the nicotine gum and it was not near as hard as I had always figured it would be. I work with a lot of guys that dip and once in a blue moon I get a dip from them. It ALWAYS makes me feel HORRIBLE. There is no way I could go back now. I'm happy my almost 3 year old will never know a Daddy that used tobacco.

Good luck guys, you'll be in my prayers.

lrb111

Post by lrb111 »

Cosmo 9 wrote:
HighVelocity wrote:
I did the same, the patches made it much more pleasent for those around me!! I smoked for 28 years been clean for 7 1/2.
Me too, patches and cinnamon Altoids. Been over two years now. My wife and I quit together. She used lozenges that we had had for a long time. They were very dried out. She could put on of them in her mouth and wait for it to kill the urge, then put it back in the plastic. So, she was only using a 2mg. lozenge per day. She was clean in a little over 4 weeks.
On the other hand, It took me a couple of months.
Difficult, but doable.
Ø resist

Take away the second first, and the first is gone in a second.

NRA Life Member, TSRA, chl instructor

nitrogen

Post by nitrogen »

My father stopped smoking 20+ years ago. My mother still smokes. Whats funny, is, the easygoing personality of my mother, you'd think she'd have quit, and my hardnosed father would be still smoking. :shock:

Any of you that's managed to quit get my admiration. My dad was a complete BEAR when he quit for about 3 months. He says he still gets the occasional urge.

I've been praying for my mom to quit for as long as I can remember, but so far no luck.

Good luck, and my thoughts and prayers to anyone set to tackle this this year.
.השואה... לעולם לא עוד
Holocaust... Never Again.
Some people create their own storms and get upset when it rains.
--anonymous

flintknapper
Banned

Post by flintknapper »

My Mother quit smoking 17 yrs. ago (about 2 weeks before she died of lung cancer).

I watched her waste away for 6 months, the pain she suffered..even with morphine boluses every 15 minutes, was unbearable. Finally, one evening after 5 seizures...complete with white foam coming from her mouth and nose, she drew her last breath... and let it out with a rattle. I was holding her frail hand when that happened.

She was 58 years old.

If you haven't stopped smoking, do it now, whatever it takes! If not for yourself, then for your loved ones.

I will pray without ceasing, if it helps to persuade even one person to stop.

Don't stop "The hard way".
Spartans ask not how many, but where!

KBCraig
Banned

Post by KBCraig »

My father said quitting cold turkey was easy... he was in ICU on a respirator for 10 days at the time, and unconscious for the first week of it, after complete respiratory failure. He was 53, and had smoked for over 40 years.

He never had any urge for another smoke after that. Cigarettes still killed him, although slowly. After that episode in 1984, he finally lost the battle in 1999.

I've had the occasional campfire cigar, but I've never smoked a cigarette in my life. Dad was the strongest-willed person I've ever known. My whole childhood, he tried to quit, and never could.

I salute all of you who have quit, and those who are trying.

Kevin

longtooth

Post by longtooth »

You chose right. Never starting means you dont have to struggle w/ stopping.

JLaw

Post by JLaw »

Folks, this thread shows that we have the finest group of men and women in this forum on the whole World Wide Web.

Sure has got me to thinking.

JLaw

Return to “Prayer Requests & Updates”