Prostate cancer

Whether the need is great or small, there is power in prayer, especially when God's people raise their voices together.

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
johncanfield
Posts in topic: 10

Prostate cancer

Post by johncanfield »

I've got it and I'm classified as intermediate risk for long-term survival (> 10 years.) I'll be having robot assisted radical prostatectomy Monday morning (March 2) at MD Anderson with probably a one night hospital stay. Then we will stay at the on-campus Rotary House for one to two weeks while I recover enough to travel home.

Never did I expect that I would be the one asking for prayers - we have prayed for others throughout the years so unfortunately it's now my turn to be on the receiving end :???: .

I have been praying for a successful surgery - we have an excellent urologist/surgeon who has done 2,000 prostatectomies since the da Vinci machine first came on the market and we're having it in an excellent place.

Then I've been praying for a speedy recovery with minimum side effects. This part (incontinence primarily) will take months or a couple of years to resolve, this is the scary unknown.

Your prayers are sincerely appreciated.
LC9s, M&P 22, 9c, Sig P238-P239-P226-P365XL, 1911 clone

Keith B
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Prostate cancer

Post by Keith B »

Sorry to hear. Cancer is bad, but of all the cancers this is one of the better ones that can be beat. I have several friends who are very long time survivors from this and doing well. Will definitely add you to the prayer list.

Keep your chin up and have a positive attitude. A good friend who is an oncologist says it's a proven fact that a strong faith and positive attitude contribute greatly to the success rate when fighting cancer. :thumbs2:
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

Abraham

Post by Abraham »

johncanfield,

I'm very sorry to hear this news.

What is your prognosis for not having surgery, if you know?

I've read that if you live long enough almost all men will develop this type cancer and often oncologists simply advise no surgery and simply get a montoring check up every so often.

Topic author
johncanfield

Post by johncanfield »

Thanks Keith - trying my best to stay positive and leave the troubles at feet of my Savior. It's ironic that several months ago I was thinking about all of my friends and acquaintances that have had prostate cancer.

Abraham - I've learned more about prostate cancer in the last two months than I ever wanted to know :roll: . There are many factors that determine if you should go into active surveillance, watchful waiting or treatment. At my age (66) I was a candidate for treatment, either radiation or surgery due to the biopsy results. If I was ten years older or with very limited abnormal cells in the prostate, then I would be in the active surveillance or watchful waiting mode.

puma guy

Post by puma guy »

Prayers for successful outcome and a full recovery.
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

carlson1

Post by carlson1 »

We will be faithful praying for you. I am glad you have confidence in your doctors because I believe that is very important. I have had more health problems than we care to hear about. I keep reminding myself that my great doctors at practicing physicians, but Jesus is the GREAT PHYSICIAN!

Please keep us updated.

Topic author
johncanfield

Post by johncanfield »

Amen Carl!

mojo84

Post by mojo84 »

Very sorry to hear this. I pray for your successful surgery and full recovery. Based on some of my friends' experienced, the mental and emotional part is the toughest. Hang in there and don't let the mental fight get to you.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

RPBrown

Post by RPBrown »

Our prayers go up for a successful surgery and complete healing
NRA-Benefactor Life member
TSRA-Life member

jimlongley

Post by jimlongley »

Prayers sent.

My urologist appointment is Monday.
Real gun control, carrying 24/7/365

joe817

Post by joe817 »

John, prayers sent your way for wisdom, strength and courage as the days progress. I pray for total successful surgery, speedy recovery, and a long life. May the Lord be with you, and Amen.
Diplomacy is the Art of Letting Someone Have Your Way
TSRA
Colt Gov't Model .380

jmra

Post by jmra »

Prayers sent.
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

Topic author
johncanfield

Post by johncanfield »

Thanks everybody, you all are like an extended family.

Note to all of the guys - I was surprised to discover that the Family Practice association is not recommending a PSA test but Urologists are recommending the test. There are false positives and a rising PSA doesn't necessarily indicate cancer but I strongly recommend guys 50 and older have an annual PSA test and a digital exam. My PSA rose from the high 3s to just over 4 but a digital exam revealed an abnormality. I've been hanging out on a forum with a prostate cancer section and I was amazed at the number of guys in their 50s with worse numbers than me.

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 2

Post by The Annoyed Man »

johncanfield wrote:Thanks everybody, you all are like an extended family.

Note to all of the guys - I was surprised to discover that the Family Practice association is not recommending a PSA test but Urologists are recommending the test. There are false positives and a rising PSA doesn't necessarily indicate cancer but I strongly recommend guys 50 and older have an annual PSA test and a digital exam. My PSA rose from the high 3s to just over 4 but a digital exam revealed an abnormality. I've been hanging out on a forum with a prostate cancer section and I was amazed at the number of guys in their 50s with worse numbers than me.
John, I see a urologist and have my PSA drawn 2x/year for ongoing BPH and a benign "nodule" on my prostate. I just say him this last Wednesday. I'm in your age group, although by my 62 year old standard, you are "decrepit" at 66 years. Even so, God is The Great Physician, and i will add you to my prayer list, beseeching His favor in your situation.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

K.Mooneyham

Post by K.Mooneyham »

Very sorry to hear this, johncanfield. My best wishes for a successful procedure and speedy recovery.

Return to “Prayer Requests & Updates”