Health Need: Constant migraine headaches

Whether the need is great or small, there is power in prayer, especially when God's people raise their voices together.

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 4

Health Need: Constant migraine headaches

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

A 19 year old girl that I met as a student in our church student ministry has been suffering almost constant migraine headaches for four years. Doctors have tried numerous approaches to relieving her pain, all to no avail. She is in agony, yet she does well in college and she is currently in the middle east on a missionary trip.

Please pray that the Lord will relieve her pain as He is her only hope. She is a sweet kid and it kills me to see her in such pain.

Chas.

RPBrown
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Health Need: Constant migraine headaches

Post by RPBrown »

Healing prayers have been sent.

I had bad migraines in the past so I know what it is like. After numerous doctors visits, my wife convinced me to try acupuncture and I havent had an issue with them since.
NRA-Benefactor Life member
TSRA-Life member

NotRPB

Post by NotRPB »

prayers sent.

She may have already tried this
Magnesium reduces severity duration of migraines
https://www.google.com/search?q=migrain ... +magnesium" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Some say bananas :anamatedbanana stave off migraines others say it triggers/causes them, (Potassium and magnesium are both in Banannas)

but low magnesium levels often is related to migraines
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22426836" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Why all migraine patients should be treated with magnesium.
US National Library of Medicine National Institutes of Health

I am not a doctor nor do I play one on TV

gljjt

Post by gljjt »

Will do, Chas. I have very occasional migraines so I can't even imagine what she is going through. Praying.

joe817

Post by joe817 »

Prayers sent. I know how debilitating migraines can be, as I have 2 family members that suffers from them.
Diplomacy is the Art of Letting Someone Have Your Way
TSRA
Colt Gov't Model .380

BobCat
Posts in topic: 2

Post by BobCat »

Charles, this is a long shot but might be worth a try.

I used to have cluster headaches - aka "suicide headaches" - that would wake me at ~3 AM every night for weeks at a time.

Cluster headache is a "derivative" of migraine.

Neurologist prescribed breathing pure oxygen at about 2 liters/minute for 10-15 minutes.

You need a prescription to buy oxygen and a regulator - same exact gas as you get at the welding shop without a prescription, but in a smaller tank.

It worked! After 5-10 min of slow, deep breaths, the wretched guy behind my eyeball with the hot poker just got tired of hurting me and left. Almost every time.

So - if she can get ahold of an oxygen setup, it might be worth a try. If it works she can figure out how to have oxygen available where/when she needs it.
Retractable claws; the *original* concealed carry

carlson1

Post by carlson1 »

We will be praying for her.

Scott B.

Post by Scott B. »

My mother, sister, and niece, are all life-long sufferers of migraines. I wouldn't wish that nightmare on anyone.

My sister takes a generic brand of Imitrex and has had great success with that, virtually eliminating her migraines or at least neutralizes them when they occur. It's safe for teens, her daughter has a prescription for it as well.

My mother took, for years, Fioricet, but it's hard to get prescribed these days. Still suffers from migraines and fights with the docs/FDA about what drugs she can take to battle them.

Fortunately this plague skipped the males in the family.

..and prayers added.
LTC / SSC Instructor. NRA - Instructor, CRSO, Life Member.
Sig pistol/rifle & Glock armorer | FFL 07/02 SOT

The Wall

Post by The Wall »

I could be wrong, but I remember from when I was in the Navy breathing oxygen and welding oxygen tanks were marked differently so one couldn't be used for the other by mistake. Maybe because it was used in aviation applications. I think the tanks were green with a white stripe.

Richbirdhunter

Post by Richbirdhunter »

Lord, touch this young servant with your healing hands as she works for the kingdom to bring others to you.
In Jesus name, Amen
Disclaimer: Anything I state can not be applied to 100% of all situations. Sometimes it's ok to speak in general terms.

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

BobCat wrote:Charles, this is a long shot but might be worth a try.

I used to have cluster headaches - aka "suicide headaches" - that would wake me at ~3 AM every night for weeks at a time.

Cluster headache is a "derivative" of migraine.

Neurologist prescribed breathing pure oxygen at about 2 liters/minute for 10-15 minutes.

You need a prescription to buy oxygen and a regulator - same exact gas as you get at the welding shop without a prescription, but in a smaller tank.

It worked! After 5-10 min of slow, deep breaths, the wretched guy behind my eyeball with the hot poker just got tired of hurting me and left. Almost every time.

So - if she can get ahold of an oxygen setup, it might be worth a try. If it works she can figure out how to have oxygen available where/when she needs it.
I'll pass that along and see if that helps.

Thanks,
Chas.

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Thanks for the prayers folks. I'm researching neurostimulation now and it seems very promising. I suspect that health insurance does not cover it and the procedure is apparently expensive.

Chas.

SewTexas

Post by SewTexas »

I'll be praying. I get severe migraines, I've been on preventatives for years, probably close to 15 years now. She's young, but since it's been going on for 4 years now I'm sure they've been working on various preventative meds. I've heard that botox will also work for migraines, and apparently really well. It's fairly recent, in the last few years, so I'm not sure how many Drs do it yet, I know I saw one talking about it here in San Antonio, so you should be able to find someone in Houston without too much trouble.
~Tracy
Gun control is what you talk about when you don't want to talk about the truth ~ Colion Noir

rotor

Post by rotor »

There are some excellent world famous migraine clinics to seek out before giving up on this girl. She needs to hit the google button and search them out because I don't believe there are patients that can't be helped and I am a migraineur myself. More than anything else she needs to stay away from narcotics, which are frequently given in the emergency room. I am not sure where she lives but every major city has a first class migraine center and that's where she needs to be and I am sure she can be helped. Migraine is a genetic curse, 30% of the population has the disease but there is treatment and I hope she gets in the hands of a real pro that can help her. Charles you are right though about insurance, some Rx like Botox may not be covered but may drastically help this girl. I hope she can afford it. Don't let her give up though as the suicide rate is very high for those that give up.

Jumping Frog

Post by Jumping Frog »

Personally, I believe it is related to eating grains and sugar. There are now thousands of published medical studies relating to the effects of grains and sugar on the metabolism, gut bacteria, and the affect on numerous brain-related disorders including migraines.

It is literally as simple as changing your diet. My wife had between 10-15 migraines per month for decades. She changed how she ate and they all went away.

Three books are of interest and on point (of the dozens I have read on this subject):

Brain Maker: The Power of Gut Microbes to Heal and Protect Your Brain–for Life, by David Perlmutter, MD
The Autoimmune Solution: Prevent and Reverse the Full Spectrum of Inflammatory Symptoms and Diseases, by Amy Myers, MD
The Wahls Protocol: How I Beat Progressive MS Using Paleo Principles and Functional Medicine, by Terry Wahls, MD.

If someone wants to discuss, send me a PM and we can talk on the phone.

-Bob K
-Just call me Bob . . . Texas Firearms Coalition, NRA Life member, TSRA Life member, and OFCC Patron member

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ

Return to “Prayer Requests & Updates”