Prayers?

Whether the need is great or small, there is power in prayer, especially when God's people raise their voices together.

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
Odinvalknir
Posts in topic: 3

Prayers?

Post by Odinvalknir »

To be completely honest I've never really been a very religious person. But I'm to the point that I really need something to happen and hopefully A change is on its way. I was laid off of work almost a month ago, and did really couldn't have come at a worse time there are just too many things to account for and pay for it and worry about. I'm at the point now where the only thing I really have any value is my concealed carry firearm. And it's looking more and more like I'm going to have to pawn it just to get through the next week. I have some opportunities in front of me, one that I've been trying to get for a long time and that is a stable job actually working for a chemical plant instead of just a contractor. But it requires acquiring a license that I do not currently hold and have to pay for. On top of the bill that just keep coming whether or not you're working.

Not really looking for sympathy your hand out or anything I don't even know why I'm posting this here. Like I said I've never been a very religious person but at this point something has got to give.

carlson1
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Prayers?

Post by carlson1 »

Sorry to hear about the trials you are facing.

My wife and I will be praying daily for you.

Abraham

Post by Abraham »

Odinvalknir,

I wish you all the best.

Is that trite?

Yeah, but I mean it.

I too was once laid off and was at my lowest given religion and I don't mix. Wish it did, but it ain't there for me...

Ultimately, being laid off turned out to be the best thing that could've happened and I'm now grateful it did.

Why do I say this?

Because what seems disastrous now may turn out to be the best thing, but it's too early see such..

Stay strong and think positively.

Topic author
Odinvalknir

Post by Odinvalknir »

I appreciate your words Abraham. I'm hoping here before too long this opportunity with the plant will come to fruition. That would be the best thing I can hope for at this point in time because it will essentially set me up in a position that I can hang onto for the rest of my working adult life. I am almost 30 years old and don't have a whole lot to show for it in the way of a career. I have been a electrical contractor for the last 9 or 10 years and get tired of getting laid off after 6 months or a year of work and all of a sudden the money dries up and basically just on your own until something else comes up, that kind of pattern just does not jive with the way life and bills go.

RogueUSMC

Post by RogueUSMC »

Where you located brother?
A man will fight harder for his interests than for his rights.
- Napoleon Bonaparte
PFC Paul E. Ison USMC 1916-2001

SewTexas

Post by SewTexas »

praying for you!
we've been there several times.
~Tracy
Gun control is what you talk about when you don't want to talk about the truth ~ Colion Noir

Take Down Sicko

Post by Take Down Sicko »

Hopefully you have applied for unemployment benefits. It took me a month to receive first check when i got laid off 8 years ago after working at the same place for 20 years. It happens to the best. Will be praying for success in finding employment very soon.

RPBrown

Post by RPBrown »

Perhaps you should look at your walk with God. You may find if you become closer to him your troubles will get farther away. Worked for me.
Either way, I am praying for you.

Edited to add:
6 years ago I had been working for a company for close to 15 years. I was the commercial division manager. One day the president of the company came into my office and informed me that they were shutting down the commercial division and that I needed to go ahead and lay off all employees directly under me and I had 30 days to complete jobs that were already going with residential employees.
Fast forward: I searched for a job but could not find one that would even come close to what I was making. Most only wanted to pay me straight commission and after a job was complete and job costing was done. That would mean I would have to wait at least 30 days for a 1 day job. Most of the jobs we do are 7-45 days so I could go almost 3 months without a payday. Lets face it, I was almost 60 years old and been in the industry 40+ years so doing what I do best was not an option for most companies I applied at. My wife and I sat down and prayed hard about what to do. God kept sending me little hints, A/C license expiring soon, trade magazines coming in the mail, and even a truck that was gifted to us. Okay God, I now understand. You want me to start my own business. But I don't have the capital to do it as we should. Then we get the bank statement showing our savings and my 401K statement on the same day. Wife and I discussed it, drew out all of our savings, cashed in most of the 401K and started our own business. That was 6 years ago, we have put all of our 401K back, all of our savings plus some have been deposited back, Tithing 10%+ each week,and we are doing okay. Had some health about a year and a half ago issues that also affected our business but that was God telling me to remember where all of this came from and now we are healthy (or as much as I can be at my age) and business is doing well and I owe it all to God.
Last edited by RPBrown on Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
NRA-Benefactor Life member
TSRA-Life member

Topic author
Odinvalknir

Post by Odinvalknir »

Take Down Sicko wrote: Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:23 pm Hopefully you have applied for unemployment benefits. It took me a month to receive first check when i got laid off 8 years ago after working at the same place for 20 years. It happens to the best. Will be praying for success in finding employment very soon.
I've been on unemployment 1 time over the last 10yrs, I hate dealing with those people and refuse to do so again. I'll work whatever little odd jobs I can find, it usually ends up being about the same pay lol. The state shorts my monthly pay a LOT when receiving benefits. I'm in line waiting for a job actually working as a plant employee instead of a contractor. I'll take whatever I can get for now, but I'm really hoping I get selected for the plant position.

flechero

Post by flechero »

Odinvalknir wrote: Mon Jun 18, 2018 11:06 am To be completely honest I've never really been a very religious person. But I'm to the point that I really need something to happen and hopefully A change is on its way. I was laid off of work almost a month ago, and did really couldn't have come at a worse time there are just too many things to account for and pay for it and worry about. I'm at the point now where the only thing I really have any value is my concealed carry firearm. And it's looking more and more like I'm going to have to pawn it just to get through the next week. I have some opportunities in front of me, one that I've been trying to get for a long time and that is a stable job actually working for a chemical plant instead of just a contractor. But it requires acquiring a license that I do not currently hold and have to pay for. On top of the bill that just keep coming whether or not you're working.

Not really looking for sympathy your hand out or anything I don't even know why I'm posting this here. Like I said I've never been a very religious person but at this point something has got to give.
I'll pray for you, brother! You can ask the Lord for help, even if you aren't a "religious person," in fact many people go to Him in desperation long before knowing Him. It took me a few years of curiosity and questioning everything, before ever being saved and surrendering my life to Christ. It is sure a comfort to have someone to share you burdens and take some of the load off! Not everything is roses, but He has provided for my family in all times, in many ways.

Good luck with the job, I'll be praying you get it, if it's the right opportunity for you!

Jusme

Post by Jusme »

Prayers sent for you my friend. I realize that at 30, you feel like a lot of your life has passed, but take it from someone who has 27 more trips around the sun, life throws you many changes, and while I won't try to push my beliefs, upon you, my experience, has shown me that God, uses different ways to show you his greatness. It is not always, in big things, nor is it obvious, immediately. I just recently went through a layoff, and was unable to find a job, in my field of expertise, for 8 months. I had been working at a job that I came to love, even though, it was a financial strain. I was working selling guns, and it was a very unstable source of income. I made it through, and my family and I adapted, to the lower income. I started a new job, yesterday, in a field, that I am much better qualified for, with a steady, and larger income. Long story short, God, humbled me, by taking away, my security, but opened my eyes, to a whole new world of people, who I would never have met. I was able to help people purchase their first gun, direct them away from guns, that weren't suited to their needs, even if it meant a lower commission, for me. My coworkers, were amazing, and I have made lifetime friendships.
Again, I don't want to preach, I just wanted to share, my experience, and even though, it was a very difficult time, I feel, much closer, to God, my wife, my children, and others, who understood, what I was going through, and continued to love and support me. And even though, I am starting, a new career path, that is more financially beneficial, God has shown me, what is most important in life. I will continue to pray for you, not only for the career, you seek, but also for further enlightenment, on your walk with God. You must have some faith, to have reached out to this community, and I can attest, to the fact that, prayers from this group get results, even if it is not the result, you may think you want.
Last edited by Jusme on Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

OneGun

Post by OneGun »

Oldinvaknir,

I had many friends and acquaintances that were laid off during the oil bust here in Houston.

The best advice that I shared with people (according to the feedback I received) was:

1) Finding a position is an emotional rollarcoaster. Strap in and realize this is a normal. Don't beat yourself up. Give yourself a break.

2) Take stock of your personal skills in your toolbox. Do not focus on your past titles. What can you do with your skills. Think about expanding your horizons.

3) Talk to potential employers about opportunities and avoid the "J" word, job.

4) Remember that no one has ever been permanently unemployed, unless they gave up.

5) Be flexible.

6) Do not be afraid to go get additional training and/or education. You mentioned a license. Go get it.

7) Sometimes you have take a step backwards to take 5 steps forward.

8) If the bills are piling up, work out payment plans. Most creditors will work with you, especially if you contact them first. Creditors appreciate proactive people.

9) The sun always rises. At some point, you will put this period behind you.
Annoy a Liberal, GET A JOB!

Deltaboy

Post by Deltaboy »

Prayers sent :tiphat:
I 'm just an Ole Sinner saved by Grace and Smith & Wesson.

Jnazee

Post by Jnazee »

Lifting you in prayer

Return to “Prayer Requests & Updates”