Lost 100% hearing in one ear....

Whether the need is great or small, there is power in prayer, especially when God's people raise their voices together.

Moderator: carlson1

oljames3
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Lost 100% hearing in one ear....

Post by oljames3 »

Praying and agreeing.
O. Lee James, III Captain, US Army (Retired 2012), Honorable Order of St. Barbara
2/19FA, 1st Cavalry Division 73-78; 56FA BDE (Pershing) 78-81
NRA, NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Instructor, Rangemaster Certified, GOA, TSRA, NAR L1

WildBill
Posts in topic: 2

Post by WildBill »

I'm praying for your healing Chris.
NRA Endowment Member

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

You are in my prayers TAM.

Warning, the trial attorney in me is coming out. You contacted your doctor's office the day after symptoms first appeared. A PA "proscribed" a week of steroids treatment, but no antibiotics, rather than have you see an ENT. When that didn't help, you were finally referred to an ENT who essentially told you that, after 1.5 weeks, "it's too late." Interesting.

Chas.

eyedoc

Post by eyedoc »

Charles L. Cotton wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 11:27 am You are in my prayers TAM.

Warning, the trial attorney in me is coming out. You contacted your doctor's office the day after symptoms first appeared. A PA "proscribed" a week of steroids treatment, but no antibiotics, rather than have you see an ENT. When that didn't help, you were finally referred to an ENT who essentially told you that, after 1.5 weeks, "it's too late." Interesting.

Chas.
I will let the doctor in me come out.

"The mean duration of hearing loss was six days, and there was a statistically significant correlation between the start of the treatment and the hearing improvement, i.e. early treatment carried a good prognosis.

Conclusions: Sudden sensorineural hearing loss is a common expression of inner ear problems such as viral infection, vascular osculation, or rupture of the internal ear membrane. Viral inflammation is the most commonly accepted cause for the condition. Consequently, adding antiviral such as a acyclovir to steroids increases chance of recovery, especially when treatment is early."

https://www.newswise.com/articles/acycl ... aring-loss

STR8-SHOT

Post by STR8-SHOT »

Praying for your hearing to be restored TAM. David

Topic author
The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 7

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Thanks everyone for the prayers.
Charles L. Cotton wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 11:27 am You are in my prayers TAM.

Chas.
Yeah.....I’m not generally a litigious-minded person, but the thought did occur to me. The flip side of it is that I can choose to either drag it out, wallow in the unhappiness, and punish someone in court (with no guarantee of winning), or I can accept what is, try to reverse it if possible, and adapt to my new reality and try to move on it it’s not possible to reverse it.
eyedoc wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 12:07 pm I will let the doctor in me come out.

"The mean duration of hearing loss was six days, and there was a statistically significant correlation between the start of the treatment and the hearing improvement, i.e. early treatment carried a good prognosis.

Conclusions: Sudden sensorineural hearing loss is a common expression of inner ear problems such as viral infection, vascular osculation, or rupture of the internal ear membrane. Viral inflammation is the most commonly accepted cause for the condition. Consequently, adding antiviral such as a acyclovir to steroids increases chance of recovery, especially when treatment is early."

https://www.newswise.com/articles/acycl ... aring-loss
I read this article the morning after I saw the ENT guy: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4222184/. It’s another reason why I don’t hold out much hope for improvement.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

carlson1
Posts in topic: 4

Post by carlson1 »

WOW! I am so sorry. You know you are already on our list, but now at the top. I will add you to our church prayer list too.

RPBrown
Posts in topic: 2

Post by RPBrown »

Prayers have been sent from here for complete healing if its his will
NRA-Benefactor Life member
TSRA-Life member

Paladin

Post by Paladin »

Prayers sent.
JOIN NRA TODAY!, NRA Benefactor Life, TSRA Defender Life, Gun Owners of America Life, SAF, FPC, VCDL Member
LTC/SSC Instructor, NRA Certified Instructor, CRSO
The last hope of human liberty in this world rests on us. -Thomas Jefferson

carlson1
Posts in topic: 4

Post by carlson1 »

Mark 7:31 "And again, departing from the coasts of Tyre and Sidon, he came unto the sea of Galilee, through the midst of the coasts of Decapolis. :32 And they bring unto him one that was deaf, and had an impediment in his speech; and they beseech him to put his hand upon him. :33 And he took him aside from the multitude, and put his fingers into his ears, and he spit, and touched his tongue; :34 And looking up to heaven, he sighed, and saith unto him, Ephphatha, that is, Be opened. :35 And straightway his ears were opened, and the string of his tongue was loosed, and he spake plain. :36 And he charged them that they should tell no man: but the more he charged them, so much the more a great deal they published it; :37 And were beyond measure astonished, saying, He hath done all things well: he maketh both the deaf to hear, and the dumb to speak."

Same Jesus my friend can heal you.

LimaCharlie3

Post by LimaCharlie3 »

Here’s my 2 cents: I woke up one morning deaf in both ears. I too, am a musician. I saw 4 ENTs and an audiologist. No luck. Not even conductive hearing. A year later, the local Deaf & Hard of Hearing Center tested me. I could hear a little, very faintly. But the tinnitus was still louder. I got hearing aids and with them I can “hear”, but understanding words is hit or miss (I have significant tonal loss. I used a frequency
Analyzer to map out my deficiencies, but nobody makes a hearing aid with a decent equalizer to notch out and even it up.). I started playing in the church band and had to re-learn how to play and learn new music. I could hear it, but pitches ran together and I certainly couldn’t understand the words. But I learned to read lips and follow the music that way. It’s actually quite easy.
Now, at 7 years later, I can hear concussive noises easily. Doors, ice maker, dishes; anything with a sound pressure level above normal conversation. My hearing has improved.
My best advice for music: buy a simple old-school hearing amplifier that uses regular stereo ear buds. Then use in-ear monitors with it instead. You’ll get the full audio spectrum. I use that with the band every week and it’s a huge improvement over hearing aids with music.

Topic author
The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 7

Post by The Annoyed Man »

LimaCharlie3 wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 3:52 pm Here’s my 2 cents: I woke up one morning deaf in both ears. I too, am a musician. I saw 4 ENTs and an audiologist. No luck. Not even conductive hearing. A year later, the local Deaf & Hard of Hearing Center tested me. I could hear a little, very faintly. But the tinnitus was still louder. I got hearing aids and with them I can “hear”, but understanding words is hit or miss (I have significant tonal loss. I used a frequency
Analyzer to map out my deficiencies, but nobody makes a hearing aid with a decent equalizer to notch out and even it up.). I started playing in the church band and had to re-learn how to play and learn new music. I could hear it, but pitches ran together and I certainly couldn’t understand the words. But I learned to read lips and follow the music that way. It’s actually quite easy.
Now, at 7 years later, I can hear concussive noises easily. Doors, ice maker, dishes; anything with a sound pressure level above normal conversation. My hearing has improved.
My best advice for music: buy a simple old-school hearing amplifier that uses regular stereo ear buds. Then use in-ear monitors with it instead. You’ll get the full audio spectrum. I use that with the band every week and it’s a huge improvement over hearing aids with music.
Been using in-ear monitors for a long time now—mostly Sure E5s until I lost them or they were stolen about a year and a half ago, and I replaced them with Sure SE425s. Right now, a hearing aid in that left ear would be useless because there's no hearing to aid, and I have no conductive hearing on that side either. They tested for that also. I only hear left-side noise or conductive input through my right ear. Maybe down the road if I can get some hearing back, a hearing aid might be useful. But I'll check out the old school hearing amplifier. Thanks for the suggestion.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

philip964

Post by philip964 »

My hearing is real good. It just that the ringing in my ears is getting so loud.

My daughter will say “tell me you heard that bird cackle”

“what bird”

My hearing is real good, it’s just that I can’t understand people’s words with that tv on or they are not talking directly at me. Everyone just mumbles now.

My hearing is real good, but it really helps me understand TV better if the closed captioning is on. Especially people with heavy accents.

My hearing is real good. I’m just asking if you could tell me one more time so it sinks in.

Sorry about losing hearing in one ear suddenly. Didn’t know that could happen without some sort of bad accident.

Then to find out the ringing didn’t stop. Geez that’s not fair at all.

Prayers for your hearings return.

Rafe
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Rafe »

TAM, prayers sent.

I never even realized that was a thing, that without some sort of injury or concussive damage you could just wake up one morning with that kind of hearing loss. That's extremely scary. I am now officially an insomniac.

I hope the prognosis is all wrong and that you wake up tomorrow to realize that hearing in your right ear returned just as suddenly.
“Be ready; now is the beginning of happenings.”
― Robert E. Howard, Swords of Shahrazar

Return to “Prayer Requests & Updates”