IDPA and the Timney trigger

IDPA, IPSC, ICORE & More!

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
bobby
Posts in topic: 3

IDPA and the Timney trigger

Post by bobby »

I have a G45 with new sights and a Timney trigger installed. SSP or ESP? Now I know the light has to come off.
32E64E03-A467-4B64-863A-1EE66294A732.jpeg
:txflag:

Lena
Posts in topic: 1

Re: IDPA and the Timney trigger

Post by Lena »

LIght??? 60 watt or what?
Stay Safe

Topic author
bobby

Post by bobby »

The TLR7A that’s on the G45

cbunt1

Post by cbunt1 »

It will run in ESP since the trigger change is visible.

I think. I haven't SO'd in a number of years, but that was generally the quick and dirty don't wanna did up the rulebook rule.
American by birth, Texan by the grace of God!

Topic author
bobby

Post by bobby »

cbunt1 wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 11:21 pm It will run in ESP since the trigger change is visible.

I think. I haven't SO'd in a number of years, but that was generally the quick and dirty don't wanna did up the rulebook rule.
Yep I think ESP also as the diff trigger is visable. I just wanted to make sure before this months IDPA match at PSC

C-dub
Posts in topic: 2

Post by C-dub »

bobby wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 1:32 am I have a G45 with new sights and a Timney trigger installed. SSP or ESP? Now I know the light has to come off. 32E64E03-A467-4B64-863A-1EE66294A732.jpeg
Why does the light have to come off? It isn't a laser, right? And does nothing else to enhance anything during a daylight match and you are already in the ESP class due to the trigger anyway.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

DanD

Post by DanD »

C-dub wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 12:55 pm
bobby wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 1:32 am I have a G45 with new sights and a Timney trigger installed. SSP or ESP? Now I know the light has to come off. 32E64E03-A467-4B64-863A-1EE66294A732.jpeg
Why does the light have to come off? It isn't a laser, right? And does nothing else to enhance anything during a daylight match and you are already in the ESP class due to the trigger anyway.
If there is a visible difference in the trigger, including reset position, then that puts you in the Enhanced Service Pistol (ESP) Division.

To address the comment about the firearm mounted light I list the relevant rule sections from the IDPA 2017 Rulebook: https://www.idpa.com/wp-content/uploads ... k-2017.pdf
By default, a firearm mounted light is not allowed with the few exceptions outlined below.

If you are competing at PSC you can send an email to Mark Stavrakis, Sr. who is the PSC IDPA Match Director, and ask him if there is a light division. Otherwise you can be put in the "Not for Competition" group if you want to leave the light mounted. Mark's email address can be found here https://pscshootingclub.com/index.php/contacts-article

Rule that does not allow a firearm mounted light:
- Section 8.1.8 Non-IDPA-Legal Features and Modifications for All Divisions, subsection F on page 26: "The following features and modifications are not allowed in any division unless otherwise specifically allowed in the rulebook. F. Lights mounted on firearms."

Rules that allow firearm mounted lights:
- Section 7 Permanently Physically Disable Shooter (PPDS), subsection B, page 24: "PPDS with the use of only one arm or hand may elect to use a light mounted on the firearm prior to the start signal, with no penalty, on all stages if within the match there is a stage that requires the use of a flashlight."
- Section 8.2.10 Specialty Divisions (SPD), subsection B page 32: "B. IDPA allows clubs to add “Specialty Divisions” for scoring. This division allows cartridges smaller than 9 mm, carry optics, activated lasers, mounted lights, and other firearms which do not fit into the other competition divisions to participate in matches."
- Section 8.8.4 Flashlights, page 35: "Police and military personnel using the Duty Gear Exemption with a firearm mounted light may not activate the mounted light, and are otherwise subject to the same hand held flashlight usage rules as other competitors. See rule 3.10."

Dan
Given a 50/50 chance, you will pick wrong 80% of the time. NRA Life Member, IDPA

C-dub
Posts in topic: 2

Post by C-dub »

DanD wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 6:38 pmRule that does not allow a firearm mounted light:
- Section 8.1.8 Non-IDPA-Legal Features and Modifications for All Divisions, subsection F on page 26: "The following features and modifications are not allowed in any division unless otherwise specifically allowed in the rulebook. F. Lights mounted on firearms."

Dan
I had no idea. Thanks for the reference.

I haven't been able to compete regularly in a few years now (work schedule) and my club dumped IDPA a couple years before that because of some odd rule changes. They went to a form of personal protection, while retaining much of the IDPA format, but a bit more real world instead of whatever IDPA was drifting to. At least back then.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

Soccerdad1995

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

C-dub wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 10:59 pm
DanD wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 6:38 pmRule that does not allow a firearm mounted light:

Dan
I had no idea. Thanks for the reference.

I haven't been able to compete regularly in a few years now (work schedule) and my club dumped IDPA a couple years before that because of some odd rule changes. They went to a form of personal protection, while retaining much of the IDPA format, but a bit more real world instead of whatever IDPA was drifting to. At least back then.
I understand that IDPA is trying to keep out "specialized" guns that no one would actually carry. But my problem with it is that most of the guns I actually do carry are "illegal" for one reason or another. Fortunately, I don't aspire to any high level IDPA competitions, so I just shoot what I normally carry and focus on competing against my personal best.

Return to “Competitive Shooting”