My carry Optic I do believe.

IDPA, IPSC, ICORE & More!

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
bobby
Posts in topic: 1

My carry Optic I do believe.

Post by bobby »

I look fwd to sighting it in now that the slide is back.
Fg5W6Ve.jpg
3NKsOAF.jpg
:txflag:

Paladin

Re: My carry Optic I do believe.

Post by Paladin »

Looks awesome!!! :cheers2:
JOIN NRA TODAY!, NRA Benefactor Life, TSRA Defender Life, Gun Owners of America Life, SAF, FPC, VCDL Member
LTC/SSC Instructor, NRA Certified Instructor, CRSO
The last hope of human liberty in this world rests on us. -Thomas Jefferson

Jose_in_Dallas
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Jose_in_Dallas »

Nice setup! I have 3 different Holosun's mounted on a Glock 17, 45, and a 43X since earlier in the year (and last October in the case of the 43X). Haven't had an issue with anything related to the Holosun, but did have an issue with the plate and how it was mounted to the 43x that has since been corrected. With my aging eyes, I was having trouble focusing between the front sight and the target. No problems now.

Pilgrim

Post by Pilgrim »

Nice set up.. I have been looking at Holosun 510c-GR with green dot for ar15. Does anyone prefer one color dot over the other?

Rafe

Post by Rafe »

Pilgrim wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 5:16 pm Nice set up.. I have been looking at Holosun 510c-GR with green dot for ar15. Does anyone prefer one color dot over the other?
Generally--and I'm no expert--assuming there are no underlying color-blindness issues (Holosun has a "gold" reticle option that's designed for color-blind shooters), red is better for low-light conditions (green can have too much contrast when it's dark, and red shows up really well against blue, black, and gray hues/shades), and green is easier to pick-up in daylight. I think green got a bad reputation because of, years ago, cheap, crappy knock-offs that promised a quality RDS for $29.95; those were mostly green. But the eye tends to see green easier than red. Makes sense because green is pretty close to the center of the visible spectrum and red is over at one end.

Red will almost always work in conjunction with any night-vision devices you might have; green sometimes won't, especially with devices that rely on green tints to make things visible. And possibly important, some folks feel that green works better for people with astigmatism. And early cataracts. There seems to be more "haloing" or blurring with red than green, but your mileage may vary and your optometrist may say I'm full of it. :mrgreen:

Another tip is that, if you wear eyeglasses, you should definitely try out the optic--looking, not necessarily shooting--before you buy. Some eyeglass lenses that are polarizing can play heck with an RDS...I had this problem with older EOTech red reticles; final solution there was to just get used to looking over the top of the glasses when sighting. Newer RDSes have improved visibility and brightness controls, though, and I think the polarized-lens issue was mainly a holographic sight thing.
“Be ready; now is the beginning of happenings.”
― Robert E. Howard, Swords of Shahrazar

Pilgrim

Post by Pilgrim »

Lot of good information. It is harder to find a Holoson with green dot at Cabelas or Academy. I have gift cards to both places. Maybe I should just go with red.
Thanks.

troglodyte

Post by troglodyte »

I have tinkered with both red and green dots, tinkered being the key word. Between the two I feel I can pick up the red dot better. Maybe it's just what I'm more used to. I feel like the green dot washes out in the sunlight too much.

I have the Holosun 507c on my XDM with suppressor sights. It takes some getting used to but I do like it, especially as my arms get shorter. I'm looking at getting a Holosun for an AR.
Talon Firearms Training
Instructor - License To Carry, School Safety, First Responder: Texas DPS, Certified Instructor: Rangemasters/Tom Givens
NRA Instructor - Basic Pistol, Personal Protection in the Home, Personal Protection Outside the Home, Range Safety Officer
Stop The Bleed Instructor

Jose_in_Dallas

Post by Jose_in_Dallas »

So one other option to consider. I've gone in pretty hard with RDS's. I have a Holosun 407 on my Glock 48 and a 507 on my Glock 45. For my 17, I went with the Primary Arms exclusive Holosun 507 with the ACSS® Vulcan® Reticle. I don't care so much for the large outer circle (I have it turned off) but I really like the chevron for the riticle over the "plain" dot.

Return to “Competitive Shooting”