Thinking about BUGS

IDPA, IPSC, ICORE & More!

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
HighVelocity
Posts in topic: 5

Thinking about BUGS

Post by HighVelocity »

Wednesday the 20th could be the first time this year that I have the time to drive to Conroe to shoot the Wednesday night fun match at TTS. On the website, http://www.tts-idpa.net/ , I see that it's scheduled to be a BUG match. This is my FAVORITE kind of IDPA match as it's how I truly believe any defensive shooting that I might actually find myself caught up in would play out. Five shots and no reloads on the clock. No make-up shots, it's all or nothing.
Then, I check the Conroe weather and see that T-storms are predicted. :sad:

I'll be checking the weather daily and hoping the forecast changes.

Gary
I am scared of empty guns and keep mine loaded at all times. The family knows the guns are loaded and treats them with respect. Loaded guns cause few accidents; empty guns kill people every year. -Elmer Keith. 1961

jbirds1210

Post by jbirds1210 »

I will be there if I can. I have not shot a BUG match and really look forward to it! I agree that it is likely how things will likely happen in the real world and would like to see how it works out.

Jason
NRA Life Member
TSRA Life Member

"No man stands so tall as when he stoops to help a child."

SRVA

Post by SRVA »

Come on up guys, you are all welcome. Don't forget that we all stop at RC's for the greatest pizza this side of the Hudson River.

Hope to see you next Wednesday.

Topic author
HighVelocity

Post by HighVelocity »

Mmmmm pizza.... Image
I am scared of empty guns and keep mine loaded at all times. The family knows the guns are loaded and treats them with respect. Loaded guns cause few accidents; empty guns kill people every year. -Elmer Keith. 1961

jbirds1210

Post by jbirds1210 »

OK, I think I have worked things out to make this match possible! PIZZA..... :shock: Man that stuff is freakin good. I blow the last two stages dreaming about it when I shoot in Conroe! I have the number programmed into my cell phone.
Jason
NRA Life Member
TSRA Life Member

Jeremae
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Jeremae »

Doubt I'll make it there for wensday bug match... don't have a bug and doubt I'll have match fee...

Just what fiendishness did rafeal come up with last wensday, don't think I've seen such High points down in a while...
Reasonable gun control is hitting your target with the first shot.

Topic author
HighVelocity

Post by HighVelocity »

The weather outlook is not very good. As of tonight it's calling for thunderstorms all day long.

When will it be announced that it's cancelled (if it is)? It's a 3 hour drive and I was planning on leaving DFW around 11 am so we could hit the Outlet Center for some last minutes Christmas gifts at the Nike store so if the announcement comes after 11 I'll already be on the road.

Gary

SRVA

Post by SRVA »

It appears the weather has taken a turn for the better. We have had no rain so far and the radar is looking good. Hope you all can make it for a fun night of fast and furious shooting.

SRVA

Match Report

Post by SRVA »

We had 13 shooters last night and did 6 Back Up Gun (BUG) Scenairos. The weather was perfect with clouds, but no rain and perfect temperature. It was fun to watch everyone shoot other than their normal guns during the match.

All of the senarios were limited to five rounds only with no reloads required. We even used the mover. The scenarios involved realistic situations like sitting in your car during a car-jacking where you had to retrieve you gun from the center console, a restaurant, walking your dog, or a dog attack. Ranges were short and reaction time was fast. The mover is a challenge with your regular gun but with a back-up gun, it was more so. Tom Pinney was the match director and did a fantastic job of creating some real-world, and tough secnarios. Thanks Tom.

After the match, the pizza was great, along with the laughter.

We're going to do it again next Wednesday evening so I hope you will be able to make it. Please remember to bring your sense of humor because it will be used.

BTW - I shot my Kahr K40 and it worked flawlessly. We had James Bond present who did a very good job with his Walther PPK.

Topic author
HighVelocity

Post by HighVelocity »

Sounds like good times. Sorry I missed it.

jbirds1210

Post by jbirds1210 »

wow......I am glad you guys had a good time. I backed out due to a long drive in what was supposed to be bad weather! I hope that there are going to be more BUG matches in the new year. I have never had the opportunity to shoot one!

Seven in the morning and I am thinking about that pizza.......yummo!
Jason
NRA Life Member
TSRA Life Member

Skiprr
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Skiprr »

I thought long and hard about it but, like Jason, was looking at 40 miles one-way (the first half with rush-hour) and the advertised probability of rain.

I've never done BUG match before, either. Steve, are there any particular carry requirements for the BUG, or can we just have it in a cheap Uncle Mike's OWB nylon holster? Normal IDPA arms-outstretched concealment? If the scenarios were five rounds only and no reloading, then it's Limited Vickers?

Sorry to bombard you with questions. But I'm taking next week off work and I'm kinda excited about the prospect of Wednesday. And, yes, personal humor would be required: in broad daylight I can at least hit a target with my BUG. But a mover under the lights? :shock:
Join the NRA or upgrade your membership today. Support the Texas Firearms Coalition and subscribe to the Podcast.
I’ve contacted my State Rep, Gary Elkins, about co-sponsoring HB560. Have you contacted your Rep?
NRA Benefactor Life Member

SRVA

Post by SRVA »

IDPA rules on BUG matches are kind of vague. We had a prop at every scenario from which the shooter could pick up their gun. If the shooter had a strong side holster, they were allowed to start from the draw. Concealment was optional as the scenarios were limited to 5 rounds. We allowed shooters to start with more than five rounds in their gun but they were penalized if they fired a 6th. One shooter used a "cheap Uncle Mikes" nylon holster and after the first attempted draw, picked up his gun from a prop for the remaining scenarios. The draw took him longer than the time it took to make the five shots.

We're going to do it again next Wednesday so come on out and try it. It will give you the opportunity to try out that new back-up gun that Santa brought you.

Skiprr
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Skiprr »

SRVA wrote:IDPA rules on BUG matches are kind of vague. We had a prop at every scenario from which the shooter could pick up their gun.... We're going to do it again next Wednesday so come on out and try it. It will give you the opportunity to try out that new back-up gun that Santa brought you.
Yowsa. I'm energized!

But a critical question for Jason and me: Will there again be after-match pizza? :grin:
Join the NRA or upgrade your membership today. Support the Texas Firearms Coalition and subscribe to the Podcast.
I’ve contacted my State Rep, Gary Elkins, about co-sponsoring HB560. Have you contacted your Rep?
NRA Benefactor Life Member

SRVA

Post by SRVA »

On Wednesday, there is ALWAYS after match pizza...

Return to “Competitive Shooting”