Competitive shooting

IDPA, IPSC, ICORE & More!

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
R3dbull
Posts in topic: 1

Competitive shooting

Post by R3dbull »

I am interested in getting into competitive shooting and was wondering how to get started in it. I live in the north Dallas area (elm fork is very close to me).

I don't really have any idea on how the competitions work, or how much it costs to get involved in it. Is it very expensive?

I will go the range every once in a while but don't go as frequently as one should. Is it worth it to get involved without shooting very often?

Sorry for all the questions just don't really know where to start.
Go Gators!

A-R

Re: Competitive shooting

Post by A-R »

IDPA will likely be your least-expensive type of competition to start - most CHLers already own the basic equipment needed to compete and have fun at a club-level match.

http://www.idpa.com/dps_info.asp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

AustinBoy

Post by AustinBoy »

I just started doing some IDPA shoots here in Austin.

REALLY REALLY fun!!!

$25. 5 different shooting bays.

Lasts about 4 hours.

The guys that run it and the range officers are more than nice and helpful.

Standing in a shooting bay is not much fun anymore.

Do a youtube search for IDPA. (understand that most of the guys in the videos are AWESOME and NOT representative of the shooters I shoot with)
It is very laid back (as far as the competition part of it goes, safety is TOP priority.)

I shoot to get better scores than I did last time. I am not really competing against the other shooters. (at least that is what I tell myself)

Highly recommend it!

AB
NRA - Life Member
TSRA - Life Member

Jeremae

Post by Jeremae »

What kinds of guns do you like to shoot? How athletic are you? Can you accept being back of the pack behind old fat guys, grey haired little old ladies and bubblegum chewing teen girls?

Competitive shooting can quickly consume all disposable income and spare time but can be enjoyed on a modest budget.

If you want to shoot your carry gun to improve all gun handling skills, look into IDPA.
if you like plinking, check out Steel Challenge or Ruger Rimfire.
if you're fleet of foot, maybe USPSA.
if you like rifles, NRA hipower and hunter silhouette.
If you want be John Wayne or Annie Oakely, look into Cowboy Action.

A google search will find the national orginizations website that will list local match/club info.
Youtube has tons of videos of all types of competetion (except maybe benchrest, golf is more exciting to watch) so you can get idea of the particular game.

It is my experience that the most welcoming group of people is competetive shooters as long as you check your ego at the door and keep safety your first goal.
Reasonable gun control is hitting your target with the first shot.

C-dub
Posts in topic: 2

Post by C-dub »

I am going to do my third IDPA match this weekend at the Terrell Rifle & Pistol Club. I have shot probably between 90-120 rounds depending on the setup in each of those first two matches, so your biggest expense will be the ammo. There are several classes based on skill and the type of handgun you use. I have not done a classifier match yet, so I compete in the unclassified category of SSP (stock service pistol). The first time I went I didn't have any idea what category or class I would be in. I told them it was my first time and what gun I had and they told me everything else.

Safety is big as you would expect and as it should be. Follow the rules, listen carefully, and ask questions if you don't understand. Don't be shy, but don't be obnoxious. My first match I asked if I could not go first so I could watch at least a couple other people first. They were really cool about that and usually one of the more experienced club members went first.

If you are fairly comfortable with your gun and enjoy shooting then you will probably have a blast. It is easier and more difficult than you think. What I mean by that is that the match itself is easy to do. However, you (at least I was) will probably be humbled by some folks. Every single one of the revolver guys scored at least 30 seconds better than I did for the entire match. You will need a holster (some places prohibit Serpas, but TRPC does not) and a double mag carrier for IDPA.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

Post by 77346 »

Jeremae wrote: If you want to shoot your carry gun to improve all gun handling skills, look into IDPA.
if you like plinking, check out Steel Challenge or Ruger Rimfire.
if you're fleet of foot, maybe USPSA.
if you like rifles, NRA hipower and hunter silhouette.
If you want be John Wayne or Annie Oakely, look into Cowboy Action.
... and if you have Glocks, check into Glock Sport Shooting Foundation (GSSF) ...
Alex
NRA Benefactor Life & TSRA Life Member
Bay Area Shooting Club Member
CHL since 7/12 | 28 days mailbox-to-mailbox

joseywales

Post by joseywales »

R3dbull wrote:I am interested in getting into competitive shooting and was wondering how to get started in it. I live in the north Dallas area (elm fork is very close to me).

I don't really have any idea on how the competitions work, or how much it costs to get involved in it. Is it very expensive?

I will go the range every once in a while but don't go as frequently as one should. Is it worth it to get involved without shooting very often?

In your area - Belt Line Rd @ Luna - Dallas Pistol Club http://www.dallaspistolclub.com/competition.php

Recommend the 3rd/4th Sunday morning steel plate shooting events.
Very low-key, beginner friendly format. Stand in a 4x4 shooting area, upon audible signal, shoot 5 steel targets from 10-15 yards away.
The targets are arranged differently on each stage. Each target varies in size from 10" circles to 18"x24" rectangles.
Bring pistol, 150 rounds, eye & ear protection, 4-5 magazines, and $20. 22-caliber or above.

Most of the events work as follows:
-Participants are grouped into Squads and assigned to Stages
-Range Officers are assigned to each squad
-Each participant will, in turn, shoot the stage assigned to the squad, and then the entire squad will rotate to the next stage

When it’s Your Turn to Shoot
-The Range Officer will call your name
-Listen & Obey the Range Officer instructions
-TAKE YOUR TIME, KEEP SAFETY IN MIND ABOVE ALL, Relax and Have FUN

Beiruty
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Beiruty »

joseywales wrote:
R3dbull wrote:I am interested in getting into competitive shooting and was wondering how to get started in it. I live in the north Dallas area (elm fork is very close to me).

In your area - Belt Line Rd @ Luna - Dallas Pistol Club http://www.dallaspistolclub.com/competition.php

Recommend the 3rd/4th Sunday morning steel plate shooting events.
Very low-key, beginner friendly format. Stand in a 4x4 shooting area, upon audible signal, shoot 5 steel targets from 10-15 yards away.
The targets are arranged differently on each stage. Each target varies in size from 10" circles to 18"x24" rectangles.
Bring pistol, 150 rounds, eye & ear protection, 4-5 magazines, and $20. 22-caliber or above.

Most of the events work as follows:
-Participants are grouped into Squads and assigned to Stages
-Range Officers are assigned to each squad
-Each participant will, in turn, shoot the stage assigned to the squad, and then the entire squad will rotate to the next stage

When it’s Your Turn to Shoot
-The Range Officer will call your name
-Listen & Obey the Range Officer instructions
-TAKE YOUR TIME, KEEP SAFETY IN MIND ABOVE ALL, Relax and Have FUN

I shoot with Dallas Pistol Club, ask for tomc, he is a member here and Match Director for "Personal Protection Matches" held once a month on Saturdays.
Dallas Pistol Club is the best place to have fun shooting competitively, improve your gun skills, meet great friends and spend 2-3 hrs, all of that for just $20.

Greatly recommended.
http://www.dallaspistolclub.com/competition.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

k6gixx

Post by k6gixx »

Check out Dallas Action Pistol Shooters. They hold many matches at Elm Fork IDPA, USPSA and others. It's really easy to join, yearly dues are only $20 and for IDPA its a $12 fee to the range and a $7 fee to the club. FIrst match can be shot for $3
The American flag does not fly because the wind moves past it-The American flag flies from the last breath of each military member who has died protecting it, American soldiers don't fight because they hate what's in front of them...they fight because they love what's behind them."

ske1eter

Post by ske1eter »

Try one of the matches at the Dallas Pistol Club. http://www.dallaspistolclub.com/competition.php There's steel, IDPA-type matches, .22 carbine, etc. The good thing for their stuff is that you don't need to be an IDPA member to participate as their game is a bit different and not affiliated w/ IDPA. They don't limit to 10 rds., put you into different categories based on gun mods, etc. You can always jump into IDPA and USPSA after getting a taste there. And it only costs $20/match and doesn't take a full day to complete a match.

jason237m

Post by jason237m »

Also check out http://www.ccidpa.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Matches are shot up near Melissa (121 & 75) at Red Zone Ranch every weekend. There are always new shooters at each match.

http://redzoneranch.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Beiruty

Post by Beiruty »

Once IPSC is set at RedZone, I will sign up. I do not like the 10rd limit of IDPA
Beiruty,

TEX

Post by TEX »

I don't mean to spoil the party, but my advice is to stay away from that competitive shooting stuff. I mean, they always let you shoot the first match for free - right, just like those drug dealers that usually let you have the first hit for free. It's an old trick - an evil trick, just to get you hooked. Addicts love company and we, uuhh, I mean they, are no different. Only crack is more addictive. After the first one, you find yourself cruising around the net looking for better gear and skipping meals to check out guns shops on your lunch hours. Before you know it, you are thinking about buying your own timer and shopping for a new range bag, or figuring how much overtime you will have to work to get a case of ammo or a mo-betta gun. You lay awake at night wondering if the 147 grain really does have less recoil that the 115 grain. It really gets bad when you start thinking about 3-gun competition. You start buying your dog the cheap food so you will have more money for ammo or travel to exotic matches. You hear shot timers go off in the middle of the night and it wakes you in a cold sweat reaching for a pistol at your side that is not there. When your doctor ask how you doing you mumble "down three" or "Failure to Netralize" and start crying. You start speaking in gunny talk with other addicts at work in a language that no one can understand. It never gets any better and you can never give it up. You could end up living under a bridge with nothing but a reloading bench for shelter. Don't do it my friend - save yourself while you still can!

TEX
There will be no peace until they love their children more than they hate us - Golda Meir

Beiruty

Post by Beiruty »

TEX wrote:I don't mean to spoil the party, but my advice is to stay away from that competitive shooting stuff. I mean, they always let you shoot the first match for free - right, just like those drug dealers that usually let you have the first hit for free. It's an old trick - an evil trick, just to get you hooked. Addicts love company and we, uuhh, I mean they, are no different. Only crack is more addictive. After the first one, you find yourself cruising around the net looking for better gear and skipping meals to check out guns shops on your lunch hours. Before you know it, you are thinking about buying your own timer and shopping for a new range bag, or figuring how much overtime you will have to work to get a case of ammo or a mo-betta gun. You lay awake at night wondering if the 147 grain really does have less recoil that the 115 grain. It really gets bad when you start thinking about 3-gun competition. You start buying your dog the cheap food so you will have more money for ammo or travel to exotic matches. You hear shot timers go off in the middle of the night and it wakes you in a cold sweat reaching for a pistol at your side that is not there. When your doctor ask how you doing you mumble "down three" or "Failure to Netralize" and start crying. You start speaking in gunny talk with other addicts at work in a language that no one can understand. It never gets any better and you can never give it up. You could end up living under a bridge with nothing but a reloading bench for shelter. Don't do it my friend - save yourself while you still can!

TEX
I guess, you described why I am lost soul after I started my DPC "biweekly fix" some 4 yrs ago. Please keep it hush hush, I am a lost soul and no escape that I can see. :woohoo

Aha, I now know why I built a Bullup Saiga 12 and I have a AK sidefolder and nice HK P30. 3-gun competition are in sight I guess, or was I dreaming?

Have you mentioned Cowboys and wild-wild-west matches? There should use for single action revolver and side-by-side shorty shotgun, and that Marlin/Winchester repeater thing, no? :boxing

Yelling, "Shooter, are you ready?" ....... BEEP, :fire :fire :fire
Last edited by Beiruty on Thu Sep 20, 2012 5:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Beiruty,

Return to “Competitive Shooting”