IDPA Classifier?

IDPA, IPSC, ICORE & More!

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
MikeJ
Posts in topic: 4

IDPA Classifier?

Post by MikeJ »

I see there's an IDPA classifier at PSC this weekend (4/26/14). I've never shot IDPA, but it's one of those things I've been meaning to get around to for the last couple of decades. Are these events open to new shooters? Should I sign up?
"Never send a man where you can send a bullet." - Winston Churchill in A Roving Commission

Cedar Park Dad
Banned
Posts in topic: 2

Re: IDPA Classifier?

Post by Cedar Park Dad »

if you intend to shoot IDPA regularly, especially at larger competitions, then it would be good. Major competions require classification.

If you desire to do so look up the IDPA site and search "classifier." It will show the stages (what you are being asked to do). One nice bit on the side is that the classifier stages are nice practice drills in themselves.

Topic author
MikeJ

Post by MikeJ »

Thanks for the reply. I googled up the links below for the three stages:

http://www.idpa.com/compete/stagedetails/39" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.idpa.com/compete/stagedetails/40" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.idpa.com/compete/stagedetails/41" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If they'll allow new guys to enter without any prior training, I guess I'll see whether I can sign up.

Ooops - never mind! It's already filled up.
"Never send a man where you can send a bullet." - Winston Churchill in A Roving Commission

C-dub
Posts in topic: 1

Post by C-dub »

I just did a classifier last weekend. I knew it was going to be one and did not prepare for what was coming. I wish I had. I don't think I moved up.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

The PSC Classifier is already full. Most people shoot a few matches before shooting a Classifier, but that's not required.

Chas.

Cedar Park Dad
Banned
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Cedar Park Dad »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:The PSC Classifier is already full. Most people shoot a few matches before shooting a Classifier, but that's not required.

Chas.
This is true. Also note, the are a variety of clubs around Houston that do classifiers typically in the 1st Qtr of the year. Join IDPA and you can get a list of classifiers. Even if they aren't posted check Shiloh (had theirs), Thunder Ranch (I think its called) and there's a group in Conroe. Worse to worst Texas Tactical typically has classifiers in San Antonio and Austin usually in February.

It won't stop you. Just put down UN (or Unclassified) on your sheet when you compete.

So get your gear and get gunning! :fire

Topic author
MikeJ

Post by MikeJ »

Thanks for the responses. I'll watch the video and see if I can manage drag myself out to the next match at PSC on May 24.

MegaWatt

Post by MegaWatt »

There's not going to be a match at PSC in May because it's the same day as the state match in Cresson. But there will be one in June! :hurry:
MegaWatt

NRA Endowment Life
TSRA Life
IHMSA
IDPA

Colt - The original "Point and Click" device.

Topic author
MikeJ

Post by MikeJ »

MegaWatt wrote:There's not going to be a match at PSC in May because it's the same day as the state match in Cresson. But there will be one in June! :hurry:
:oops: Yeah, I was looking at the calendar on the PSC site, but the IDPA page confirms what you said, MegaWatt. I guess it'll have be June 28, then. That should give me plenty of time to get all my ducks in a row.

gwashorn

Post by gwashorn »

You can also shoot any of the area monthly matches elsewhere like West Side and Thunder or try out the weekly matches in the area at the other ranges. Most of us will be gone at the State Match in May so that is why the match is not being held that weekend. The PSC monthly matches are one of the best and are actually close to any regional level match you can shoot. they are great. But we do have weekly matches at The Arms Room and Big Kountry Shooting and you can check those out and find the info at the Team Trainwreck Website.

Regardless, shoot some matches and get used to the competition and then find one of the next classifiers and get that done. then you can shoot any of the matches that require you to be an IDPA member. As noted many of the clubs offer classifiers each year. Many different levels of competition and all are fun.
Gary
AGGIE '74
NRA, TSRA, TFC
Team Trainwreck

Return to “Competitive Shooting”