Shooting a pin match with 9mm?

IDPA, IPSC, ICORE & More!

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
SQLGeek
Posts in topic: 4

Shooting a pin match with 9mm?

Post by SQLGeek »

Hey all. I noticed that PSC has a pin shooting match on July 27th that I'm thinking about signing up for. Never having shot any competition, including a pin match, I was wondering if a G19 would be an appropriate gun for this kind of match? Is there a particular type of ammo I should use as well?
Psalm 91:2

Keith B

Re: Shooting a pin match with 9mm?

Post by Keith B »

SQLGeek wrote:Hey all. I noticed that PSC has a pin shooting match on July 27th that I'm thinking about signing up for. Never having shot any competition, including a pin match, I was wondering if a G19 would be an appropriate gun for this kind of match? Is there a particular type of ammo I should use as well?
I always used a 1911 in .45 ACP to shoot bowling pins. I did that due to the mass and ft lbs of energy transfer to the pins that a 230gr bullet had over a 115gr bullet.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

Topic author
SQLGeek

Post by SQLGeek »

That was my understanding as well but I only have handguns chambered in 9mm. I'm more just wondering if I am wasting my time shooting with a 9mm? I was thinking of picking up some 124 or 147 grain JHPs even though they are more expensive.

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

SQLGeek wrote:That was my understanding as well but I only have handguns chambered in 9mm. I'm more just wondering if I am wasting my time shooting with a 9mm? I was thinking of picking up some 124 or 147 grain JHPs even though they are more expensive.
American Eagle makes a 147gr flat point ammo. Don't use JHP's, they may not even allow them due to damage to teh pins. The Ft Lbs of Energy at 25 yards on the American Eagle 147gr FMJ FP 9mm is about 310 vs. 385 on the .45 standard FMJ round nose. 9mm will work, but it will be outdone easily by the folks with a .45 for same shot placement. Shot placement will be way critical for getting the table cleared with the lighter bullets. It's all about mass and getting as much weight and energy transfer as you can into the pin.

If they have different categories, you might think about .357 revolver with 200gr cast wadcutters. Still not a .45, but a good option for a pin match.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Topic author
SQLGeek

Post by SQLGeek »

Thanks Keith, I have seen the 147 gr flat nosed before so those may be the way I'll go.

.357 would be great, too but I don't think I can justify a new gun in any caliber to shoot a match. Not just starting out anyways. :mrgreen:

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

SQLGeek wrote:Thanks Keith, I have seen the 147 gr flat nosed before so those may be the way I'll go.

.357 would be great, too but I don't think I can justify a new gun in any caliber to shoot a match. Not just starting out anyways. :mrgreen:
Start out with those 147gr flat nose 9mm rounds and have some fun. While you may not do as well as someone with a .45 or other havier bullet, you will be able to see if you really enjoy the matches. If you find you love it and want to get into it deeper you can look at spending the $$$ to get a caliber more suited to shooting pins. :thumbs2:
Keith

TomV
Posts in topic: 1

Post by TomV »

What is a pin match? More detail please?
http://www.3atatraining.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

healthinsp wrote:What is a pin match? More detail please?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bowling_pin_shooting" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

[youtube][/youtube]
Keith

Topic author
SQLGeek

Post by SQLGeek »

Keith B wrote:
SQLGeek wrote:Thanks Keith, I have seen the 147 gr flat nosed before so those may be the way I'll go.

Start out with those 147gr flat nose 9mm rounds and have some fun. While you may not do as well as someone with a .45 or other havier bullet, you will be able to see if you really enjoy the matches. If you find you love it and want to get into it deeper you can look at spending the $$$ to get a caliber more suited to shooting pins. :thumbs2:
Sounds like a plan, thanks for the advice. :cool:

Return to “Competitive Shooting”