New defensive based shooting sport being launched

IDPA, IPSC, ICORE & More!

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
canvasbck
Posts in topic: 12

Re: New defensive based shooting sport being launched

Post by canvasbck »

You can copy right infringe a match? You learn something every day. I'd proffer keep your normal rules for everything, but consider something like 1 additional mag/revolver load (vs. two) / # of target limitations, and distance limitations.
Anything that is written and used for commercial purposes (like a rulebook) carries copyright protection. (I'm not that smart, but I have an IP attorney). We are keeping the 2 additional mag limit. The total number of shots that can be required on a stage is 23 (1911s would only have 2 extra rounds for stages that have that many rounds). Longest shots are 35 yards with 70% at 15 yards or less. No limit on number of no shoots. Race gun division may have additional targets they are required to engage (heads painted red) with a distance of up to 50 yards and shot limit of 30/stage.

How do your forearms categories work (sorry if this is on FB, I'm not on FB, although strangely a tribute fan site to my old wiener dog is)?
How do you keep street guns, race guns, and formula 1 race guns ( ) separate?
No problem, it's not on FB. We will have divisions, similar to what IDPA does. Categories are:
Factory Stock Pistol - with restrictions on modifications that reduce concealability or enhance performance.
Factory Modified pistol - with less restrictions on modifications but some restrictions that keep them out of the race category (simlar to ESP, but slightly more permissive)
Large Bore Pistol - for .40 and up with higher power factor. Also 8 shot .357 magnum and .45 revolvers can compete in this division if desired.
Race Pistol - no holster restrictions, optic sights allowed, compensators, ect.
Factory Stock Revolver - has modification restrictions speed loaders only, no moon clips.
Race Revolver - Up to 6.5" bbl, optics, compensators, 8 shot capacity, etc.
Also in case it wasn't clear in my earlier post, I like the hybrid matches.
I got that, just wanted to explain for anyone else reading/lurking. :tiphat:

Edited for typos: I kin speel reel gud
"All bleeding eventually stops.......quit whining!"

Cedar Park Dad
Banned
Posts in topic: 5

Post by Cedar Park Dad »

canvasbck wrote:
You can copy right infringe a match? You learn something every day. I'd proffer keep your normal rules for everything, but consider something like 1 additional mag/revolver load (vs. two) / # of target limitations, and distance limitations.
Anything that is written and used for commercial purposes (like a rulebook) carries copyright protection. (I'm not that smart, but I have an IP attorney). We are keeping the 2 additional mag limit. The total number of shots that can be required on a stage is 23 (1911s would only have 2 extra rounds for stages that have that many rounds). Longest shots are 35 yards with 70% at 15 yards or less. No limit on number of no shoots. Race gun division may have additional targets they are required to engage (heads painted red) with a distance of up to 50 yards and shot limit of 30/stage.
Sorry I was being specific to BUG matches and ideas on what to modify and keep.

How do your forearms categories work (sorry if this is on FB, I'm not on FB, although strangely a tribute fan site to my old wiener dog is)?
How do you keep street guns, race guns, and formula 1 race guns ( ) separate?
No problem, it's not on FB. We will have divisions, similar to what IDPA does. Categories are:
Factory Stock Pistol - with restrictions on modifications that reduce concealability or enhance performance.
Factory Modified pistol - with less restrictions on modifications but some restrictions that keep them out of the race category (simlar to ESP, but slightly more permissive)
Large Bore Pistol - for .40 and up with higher power factor. Also 8 shot .357 magnum and .45 revolvers can compete in this division if desired.
Race Pistol - no holster restrictions, optic sights allowed, compensators, ect.
Factory Stock Revolver - has modification restrictions speed loaders only, no moon clips.
Race Revolver - Up to 6.5" bbl, optics, compensators, 8 shot capacity, etc.[/quote]
I like these.

Edited for typos: I kin speel reel gud
you and me both. :cheers2:

Topic author
canvasbck

Post by canvasbck »

Sorry I was being specific to BUG matches and ideas on what to modify and keep.
Ahhhh, got it now. We were actually looking into something similar to what you are proposing, but it's still logistically problematic. We are working on it and will not leave BUGs out forever. They just may not be in the initial rollout.

Topic author
canvasbck

Post by canvasbck »

For a BUG division, we are actually considering making it a "deep concealment" division with IWB holsters.

Cedar Park Dad
Banned
Posts in topic: 5

Post by Cedar Park Dad »

canvasbck wrote:For a BUG division, we are actually considering making it a "deep concealment" division with IWB holsters.
I like that.

Topic author
canvasbck

Post by canvasbck »

West Houston IDPA is hosting a Test match on September 6 at Impact Zone. Sign up for this match will be at the WHIDPA wbsite. It should be a fun match and they are planning on six to seven stages. Bring plenty of ammo (200 rounds).

TxD
Posts in topic: 1

Post by TxD »

canvasbck wrote:It will be similar to the hybrid matches that many IDPA clubs are putting on, with some notable differences. Being halfway in between the two sports, most IDPA shooters who have not shot it yet, but have gone over the rules say "It looks like USPSA". USPSA shooters in the same boat tend to say "It looks like IDPA"
This sounds similar to the" Tactical Shooting Association" (TSA).
It was formed by D.R. Middlebrooks around 2004.
Dave S, Julie G, and Dan Horner were notable members.
The first "Nationals" was held in Florida and Frank Glover was the MD.
Lots of fun to shoot but only lasted three or four years.
Black Rifles Matter

Topic author
canvasbck

Post by canvasbck »

For those who are interested, the rulebook and some of the other features are now up on the PASS website. (The "responsive design" part of the website isn't done yet, so it won't run right on an ipad, everyone else should be good to view)

Several more matches are planned in the Houston area this year. The feedback from matches thusfar has been outstanding!

http://www.premieractionshootingsports.com

Abraham
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Abraham »

I've no idea if I'm the only one to NOT understand IDPA scoring rules, but I found them as easy as Chinese algebra...

If this new sport's rules are understandable, I'd be interested in participating.

P.S. I once asked one of the officials about how to understand the IDPA scoring rules and he looked annoyed with my question and wasn't forthcoming, so that was enough for me to say, fine, see ya...

Topic author
canvasbck

Post by canvasbck »

Abraham wrote:I've no idea if I'm the only one to NOT understand IDPA scoring rules, but I found them as easy as Chinese algebra...

If this new sport's rules are understandable, I'd be interested in participating.

P.S. I once asked one of the officials about how to understand the IDPA scoring rules and he looked annoyed with my question and wasn't forthcoming, so that was enough for me to say, fine, see ya...
In PASS, we did everything we could to make both the shooting rules and the scoring rules as simple as we could. We just had a session with a bunch of the ladies from the Houston A Girl & A Gun chapters, we had ladies who had shot some IDPA matches and some ladies who have never even drawn from a holster at the range. ALL of the ladies caught on to the engagement rules and the scoring very quickly. After about a 15 minute session covering the founding principles and the rules, the ladies all shot a couple of stages with very few questions about how to do things.

The simplicity of PASS makes it a very easy sport to enter, the freedom to navigate the course whichever way fits your skill level makes it comfortable for new shooters and fun for experienced shooters.

I'll stop before I sound too much like a commercial :cool:

Return to “Competitive Shooting”