IDPA New Division CCP

IDPA, IPSC, ICORE & More!

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
TEX
Posts in topic: 1

IDPA New Division CCP

Post by TEX »

IDPA annouced the new Compact Carry Pistol (CCP) would come to be - I guess in March. Anyone have a guess as to how popular it will be since most of the serious competitors have already invested in long barrel M&Ps, XDMs, or 9mm 1911 platforms, etc. I am thinking that only those who are already shooting a gun that fits into the CCP division would opt to jump into that new division.

Thoughts?
There will be no peace until they love their children more than they hate us - Golda Meir

CleverNickname
Posts in topic: 2

Re: IDPA New Division CCP

Post by CleverNickname »

Yawn. Slightly smaller ESP guns with CDP mag capacity.

I would have much preferred the proposed LOP division but even that division would only have allowed lasers and optics. It's really stupid that they didn't even propose a way to allow mounted flashlights. Slide-mounted optics aren't terribly common yet, but a lot of people carry guns with mounted lights, and have been for years.

The proposed LOP division would have had problems too. It would have put Glock 34 MOS and M&P COREs in the same division as laser-gripped J-frames.

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

I think it will be somewhat popular since I know many people that use IDPA as a way to hone their skills and not so much as a competition. Sure they like to see how they did against other people, but that is more for bragging rights among their friends. Many of these guys use their CCP, which in some cases fit into the classification of a BUG. My own G30SF fits into that classification and I enjoy shooting it in a match every now and then and especially when we do a BUG match. Besides, one of the reasons I heard that this new class exists is because of demand. Whichever class it was that got dropped, there was more requests for this new CCP class than there had been participation in the other that was dropped.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

Skiprr

Post by Skiprr »

And existing Safety Officers will have to pass another new online exam.

Sigh.

Seems like I just did that...
Join the NRA or upgrade your membership today. Support the Texas Firearms Coalition and subscribe to the Podcast.
I’ve contacted my State Rep, Gary Elkins, about co-sponsoring HB560. Have you contacted your Rep?
NRA Benefactor Life Member

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

I was reading some stuff about the new rules and noted that the new CCP class is supposed to be for semiautos with barrels about 4" long. There will also be a new class for regular competition of BUGs, but they've increased the rounds that can be loaded from 5 to 6. I still don't know if all those will be from the ready position or a draw and shoot, but I'll shoot either or both of these if they'll let me with the same gun.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

Cedar Park Dad
Banned
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Cedar Park Dad »

I like it. Gamers will ignore it as it doesn't concern them. Those who wish to compete or occasionally tests their primary CC's will enjoy it.
It goes back to the spirit of I Defensive Pistol A.

jayinsat
Posts in topic: 1

Post by jayinsat »

I only shoot my edc which is a Ruger SR9c. I always knew I started at a disadvantage because of that but, who cares? I am one of the ones that use it to hone skills. I always place near the bottom but when I sort based on points down, I'm doing pretty good! :fire :tiphat: I like the new catagory.
Armed not dangerous but potentially lethal.
CHL Application mailed 10/2/12
Plastic in hand 11/16/12

Cedar Park Dad
Banned

Post by Cedar Park Dad »

jayinsat wrote:I only shoot my edc which is a Ruger SR9c. I always knew I started at a disadvantage because of that but, who cares? I am one of the ones that use it to hone skills. I always place near the bottom but when I sort based on points down, I'm doing pretty good! :fire :tiphat: I like the new catagory.
About once a quarter I shoot my stock M&Pc in my actual carry setup, usually at an indoor shoot. Its a surprisingly good shooter in that context.

CleverNickname

Post by CleverNickname »

The other thing about choosing CCP over LOP is that if they had chosen LOP it would have expanded the types and numbers of guns that are IDPA-legal. All CCP guns were legal before, they were just at a slight disadvantage. But as Cedar Park Dad pointed out, those people who shoot CCP guns aren't "gamers". Consequently, they shouldn't care so much about their score. And if they don't care about their score they don't need a new division designed to remove their disadvantage.

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

Skiprr wrote:And existing Safety Officers will have to pass another new online exam.

Sigh.

What? Is this something we have to do before the regular 2 year SO renewal?

Chas.

Cedar Park Dad
Banned

Post by Cedar Park Dad »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:
Skiprr wrote:And existing Safety Officers will have to pass another new online exam.

Sigh.

Chas.
The new rule book just appeared this week. I'd proffer they will want re-testing within a period of time, but I could be very incorrect on that. I'll see if the site says something.
Yours truly is not an SO yet, but its about time to puitch in I guess. Might be a good opportunity.

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

I've been an SO for at least 16 years, but if I have to do the "test" again before the 2 year period expires, I think my days as an SO will be over. The changes could easily be provided to current SOs without the need for going over everything again.

Chas.
Cedar Park Dad wrote:
Charles L. Cotton wrote:

Sigh.

Chas.
The new rule book just appeared this week. I'd proffer they will want re-testing within a period of time, but I could be very incorrect on that. I'll see if the site says something.
Yours truly is not an SO yet, but its about time to puitch in I guess. Might be a good opportunity.

Skiprr

Post by Skiprr »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:

Sigh.

Chas.
Happily, I may be wrong.
IDPA HQ wrote:Safety Officer (SO) online recertification will begin Monday, April 13, 2015. All IDPA SOs are required to recertify biennially 180 days prior to the SO expiration date listed on their membership card. Recertification testing is available online, or in lieu of online recertification, an SO may attend an SO class after the new materials are released April 30. No paper recertification exams will be provided.

Updated Safety Officer Instructor (SOI) materials will be issued to the SOIs by April 30, 2015; in the meantime, we encourage all SOIs to become familiar with the updates and incorporate the changes into their classroom presentations. More information will be provided, including the link for the recertification test, by April 13. Questions & inquiries about online recertification should be emailed to SOeducation@idpa.com. Questions will be answered within two business days.
When I glanced at the January 30 email, I saw "Safety Officer (SO) online recertification will begin Monday, April 13, 2015" and pretty much skimmed the rest. Looks like we're good for the originally-announced two-year period.
Join the NRA or upgrade your membership today. Support the Texas Firearms Coalition and subscribe to the Podcast.
I’ve contacted my State Rep, Gary Elkins, about co-sponsoring HB560. Have you contacted your Rep?
NRA Benefactor Life Member

Cedar Park Dad
Banned

Post by Cedar Park Dad »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:I've been an SO for at least 16 years, but if I have to do the "test" again before the 2 year period expires, I think my days as an SO will be over. The changes could easily be provided to current SOs without the need for going over everything again.

Chas.
Cedar Park Dad wrote:
Charles L. Cotton wrote:

Sigh.

Chas.
Agreed. A blacklined copy could also be posted so that people know definitively what the changes are.

Return to “Competitive Shooting”