Thinking about giving IDPA a look - beginner questions

IDPA, IPSC, ICORE & More!

Moderator: carlson1

C-dub
Posts in topic: 5

Re: Thinking about giving IDPA a look - beginner questions

Post by C-dub »

TexasCajun wrote:
carlson1 wrote:Question: Those who carry a Glock 23, but have the LW 9mm conversion barrel (9mm much cheaper) for practice can they use it in IDPA?

Reading those rules is like reading the Penal Code. :biggrinjester:
The simple answer would be no, you cannot use a conversion kit in IDPA.
I haven't gone through the rules in a while, but since it is still at least a 9mm, I don't see why not. It's not like he's trying to use a .22 conversion.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

The Annoyed Man wrote:Actually, I've been thinking of joining another shooting club's matches that are run by/for friends of mine. I don't know if they are using the IDPA or IPSC rules/format, but I've been thinking acquiring a higher capacity 9mm for that purpose. One of the two I'm looking at is the Springfield XD(M) 5.25" Competition model, and the other is a Gen4 Glock 34. I'm partial to Springfield's pistols, particularly for ergonomic reasons, but if there were significant reasons, including a significant price difference, I could be persuaded to buy the Glock. If money were no object, I'd seriously consider a hammer-fired Sig, if I could find one with some degree of ambidexterity.
I don't play IPSC, so I don't know if the higher capacity handgun would be beneficial there or not. However, in IDPA, the maximum rounds loaded is 10 in each magazine. You can start with one in the pipe for a total of eleven, but all mags can otherwise only have 10 rounds. And sometimes downloading (usually to 6 rounds IIRC) is required. The only time I've been able to load to the capacity of my gun in IDPA is when we hold Outlaw matches where a few of the IDPA rules are loosened a little. Then I'm at a slight disadvantage with my 13+1 versus folks with 17+1 or greater.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

Vol Texan
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Vol Texan »

The Annoyed Man wrote:Actually, I've been thinking of joining another shooting club's matches that are run by/for friends of mine. I don't know if they are using the IDPA or IPSC rules/format, but I've been thinking acquiring a higher capacity 9mm for that purpose. One of the two I'm looking at is the Springfield XD(M) 5.25" Competition model, and the other is a Gen4 Glock 34. I'm partial to Springfield's pistols, particularly for ergonomic reasons, but if there were significant reasons, including a significant price difference, I could be persuaded to buy the Glock. If money were no object, I'd seriously consider a hammer-fired Sig, if I could find one with some degree of ambidexterity.
TAM, try out the SP2022. It's as ambidextrous as you can get. It's hammer-fired SA/DA. No safety to worry about, and the mag release is reversible. Pricing is good, because it's not all steel. Capacity is fine: I have a +2 mag in mine, so I carry 17+1. The only thing that is not lefty is the decocker, but I don't see any situation where you need an emergency de-cocking maneuver (n.b. you have time to switch hands for that technique in the instances you need it).

If you find yourself in the west Houston area, you can shoot mine anytime.
Your best option for personal security is a lifelong commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation.
When those fail, aim for center mass.

www.HoustonLTC.com Texas LTC Instructor | www.Texas3006.com Moderator | Tennessee Squire | Armored Cavalry

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

Watching a match is a great idea and we have many people do that at PSC. It let's you see how the matches are set up and run and you have an opportunity to see the wide variety of guns and gear being used.

Here is a New IDPA Shooter's Briefing video I created that every new IDPA shooter must watch before shooting at PSC. A few things need to be updated, but it will give you an overview of the sport. You can also find many YouTube videos of various IDPA stages, but that doesn't really explain the sport.

Chas.

Topic author
Taypo
Banned
Posts in topic: 9

Post by Taypo »

george wrote:I would not be scared. Just bring what you have. 3 magazines, holster, pistol, eyes and ears.

Don't worry about the rules. They won't kick you to the curb because your holster is in the wrong spot on your first match. Just be safe; leave the pistol unloaded in the holster until told otherwise. We take a dim view of someone waving a pistol around like it was a doughnut. You will get to go home early for that.

The guys are like anywhere else. You have some really serious types, and lots more just there to have a good time shooting.
Well damn, guess I'll go find a group that does find it acceptable to donut wave a loaded pistol. ;-)

Honestly, I'm hoping for a little better experience than standing still and punching holes in paper for 200 rounds. I'd like to think I won't embarrass myself, but it wouldn't be the first time. Gonna try and make it out to Greenville in the next couple weeks.

Topic author
Taypo
Banned
Posts in topic: 9

Post by Taypo »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:Watching a match is a great idea and we have many people do that at PSC. It let's you see how the matches are set up and run and you have an opportunity to see the wide variety of guns and gear being used.

Here is a New IDPA Shooter's Briefing video I created that every new IDPA shooter must watch before shooting at PSC. A few things need to be updated, but it will give you an overview of the sport. You can also find many YouTube videos of various IDPA stages, but that doesn't really explain the sport.

Chas.
Thanks, Chas. That video looks like it will be real helpful. I'll definitely give it a watch.

I appreciate you taking the time to post it, considering what's probably a real stressful time for you. Hopefully everything in Austin works out the way it should, schoolyard bickering aside.

extremist

Post by extremist »

TexasCajun wrote:
carlson1 wrote:Question: Those who carry a Glock 23, but have the LW 9mm conversion barrel (9mm much cheaper) for practice can they use it in IDPA?

Gentlemen, have you read the IDPA Rule book?

See rules 8.2.1.4.6 (SSP EXCLUDED MODS - A barrel that uses a different cartridge that is not offered in the original factory model.) Thus you cannot use a 9mm conversion barrel in a Glock 23 and compete in SSP. That would put you in ESP (see rule 8.2.2.2.9).

Regards,
James
TX LTC Instructor, NRA Endowment Life Member, USPSA CRO
NRA Handgun/Rifle/Shotgun/Home Firearm Safety, Chief Range Safety Officer

TexasCajun
Posts in topic: 3

Post by TexasCajun »

extremist wrote:
TexasCajun wrote:

See rules 8.2.1.4.6 (SSP EXCLUDED MODS - A barrel that uses a different cartridge that is not offered in the original factory model.) Thus you cannot use a 9mm conversion barrel in a Glock 23 and compete in SSP. That would put you in ESP (see rule 8.2.2.2.9).

Regards,
James
You are correct. I was remembering SSP (as that is what I shoot) and forgot about the other divisions.
Opinions expressed are subject to change without notice.
NRA TSRA TFC CHL: 9/22/12, PSC Member: 10/2012

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

extremist wrote:
TexasCajun wrote:

Regards,
James
Understandable. In a major match that would probably be enforced. Although, I do wonder what the difference is between doing that versus just shooting a G19. That's essentially what it becomes without the expense of having two different guns. For a local club, non-sanctioned/non-official match, they may not care or even ask since 9mm is allowed. And classes are broken down by gun type, not caliber for IDPA.

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Vol Texan wrote:
TAM, try out the SP2022. It's as ambidextrous as you can get. It's hammer-fired SA/DA. No safety to worry about, and the mag release is reversible. Pricing is good, because it's not all steel. Capacity is fine: I have a +2 mag in mine, so I carry 17+1. The only thing that is not lefty is the decocker, but I don't see any situation where you need an emergency de-cocking maneuver (n.b. you have time to switch hands for that technique in the instances you need it).

After reading these posts, and watching Charles' video, I could probably just use my wife's Glock 19 and avoid buying another pistol. If round count is limited to 10 by IDPA rules, then there is no particular advantage to anything with a higher capacity than the Glock 19's 15+1, and it sounds like "competition" models like the Springfield XD(M) 5.25" Competition or the Glock 34 pistols I referenced above might actually be forbidden according to the rules?
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

The Annoyed Man wrote:
Vol Texan wrote:

After reading these posts, and watching Charles' video, I could probably just use my wife's Glock 19 and avoid buying another pistol. If round count is limited to 10 by IDPA rules, then there is no particular advantage to anything with a higher capacity than the Glock 19's 15+1, and it sounds like "competition" models like the Springfield XD(M) 5.25" Competition or the Glock 34 pistols I referenced above might actually be forbidden according to the rules?
I think they would be allowed, but would probably be in the ESP, enhanced service pistol, category.

goose

Post by goose »

Taypo wrote:Hey folks,
Im giving serious thought to a trip out to Greenville for a CCIDPA match, ......
.........Is it a decent group of folks? No real desire to hang out with a bunch of elitist gun snobs.
Thanks!
I know nothing about Greenville so I am partially talking out of turn. That said, in my limited IDPA experience the folks out there are interested in having a fun and safe time. There will be some gamers that are there to try and win. But I have never had anyone turn away a question or a helpful conversation. For some, fun is in the winning. For some the fun is in practicing moving and shooting. I have not experienced arrogance because my fun was different from someone else's.

I have seen some elite gun snobs at the "90 degree" ranges and a few at gun shows. I have yet to find one at an IDPA match.

I vote for you to go have fun. Go slow and listen to the SO and the rest will work out.
NRA Endowment - NRA RSO - Μολὼν λάβε

extremist

Post by extremist »

The Glock 34 rules the SSP division, the most commonly seen gun and Glock in that division. Some also shoot the G35 downloaded to 125 PF (slow and heavy 180gr bullet). That way one gun can be IDPA SSP/ESP (minor PF) and USPS Limited (major PF). There are also a lot of XDm 9mm 5" pistols used in SSP. The Walther PPQ M2 5" is also an excellent SSP pistol.

After the last rulebook update, the XD/XDM, became SSP legal, having been previously classified as ESP because of the "pre-cocked" striker (as well as others, like the Taurus 24/7).

There is actually no advantage to shooting a Glock 19 in SSP, because you will be shooting against Glock 17 and Glock 34s. And XD 5" and XDm 5" models.

The new CCP division is geared toward the Glock 19, which was voted by an IDPA HQ survey as the most popular "Concealed Carry Pistol". It competes well in that catagory, which limits your magazine capacity to 8.

It's only when you put a magwell on a plastic gun that you move into ESP.

Used to be shooters would start with the Glocks in SSP, get to Master, then start over at MM in ESP by adding a magwell. :banghead:

Now they can't do that with the equity promotion of classification. You can't compete in a classification more than one lower than your highest classification. A good thing.

Y'all can always come out to one of our Thursday night matches at Winchester Shooting Gallery in Fort Worth (820 and Lancaster) http://winchestergallery.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

You must attend a new shooter's briefing with us unless you are IDPA classified, and must be there by 5:00PM. Shooters meeting at 6:00PM followed by hammer down as soon as we are done with briefing.

You are also welcome to just come and watch.

James
TX LTC Instructor, NRA Endowment Life Member, USPSA CRO
NRA Handgun/Rifle/Shotgun/Home Firearm Safety, Chief Range Safety Officer

n5wd

Post by n5wd »

The Annoyed Man wrote:...I've been thinking acquiring a higher capacity 9mm for that purpose. One of the two I'm looking at is the Springfield XD(M) 5.25" Competition model, and the other is a Gen4 Glock 34. I'm partial to Springfield's pistols, particularly for ergonomic reasons...
I've been shooting the XD(m) 5.25" competition model since they came out, and love mine. Like others have mentioned, it's legal in a couple of categories, now, and seems to be very popular in both the 9mm version(which I have) and the .45 (which I want -will probably wind up getting one this summer). Give it, or them, a try. You'll most likely be impressed, plus the Galco shoulder rig fits the pistol in case you want go try carrying it in a shoulder holster (well balanced with two mags loaded with 15 each on the other side).
NRA-Life member, NRA Instructor, NRA RSO, TSRA member,
Vietnam (AF) Veteran -- Amateur Extra class amateur radio operator: N5WD

Email: CHL@centurylink.net

Return to “Competitive Shooting”