Getting a Glock 34 for IDPA

IDPA, IPSC, ICORE & More!

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
Soccerdad1995
Posts in topic: 2

Getting a Glock 34 for IDPA

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

What (IDPA legal) modifications should I consider? This gun will only be used for competition.

canvasbck

Re: Getting a Glock 34 for IDPA

Post by canvasbck »

What division do you plan on shooting it in? If you are planning on SSP, I would recommend a good trigger. For ESP, a magwell, trigger job, and stippling.
"All bleeding eventually stops.......quit whining!"

Topic author
Soccerdad1995

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

canvasbck wrote:What division do you plan on shooting it in? If you are planning on SSP, I would recommend a good trigger. For ESP, a magwell, trigger job, and stippling.
I'd like to keep it SSP legal, if possible. Any recommendations on who I should use for the trigger work (in Houston)? Also, what about the sights?

Skiprr

Post by Skiprr »

canvasbck wrote:What division do you plan on shooting it in? If you are planning on SSP, I would recommend a good trigger. For ESP, a magwell, trigger job, and stippling.
Agree...mostly.

SSP division is pretty strict about allowable modifications (IDPA Rules 8.2.1.3 and 8.2.1.4). For example:
Magazine releases, slide stops, safety levers, de-cocking levers, hammers, and triggers, that are stock on one SSP legal firearm may be used on another SSP legal firearm from the same manufacturer provided they are drop in replacements. Parts in this list must come factory installed on standard production firearms. Special parts that are available installed only from a factory custom shop are not eligible in SSP.
As stock Glocks go, the G34 has just about the best trigger available. Offhand, I can't think of any SSP-legal stock model that has better trigger that would be a strict drop-in replacement.

And be careful about that last bit. If you Google IDPA SSP mods for Glocks, you'll find things like Zev Fulcrum triggers and 3.5 lb. connectors. Mind you, I did not recertify as an SO under the new ruleset that came out in March of 2015, so you're only getting my no-longer-certified opinion only. ;-) But I would say that both changing out either the trigger and/or connector for something not on a stock, factory-produced firearm is a no-go. If I'm wrong, someone who really knows will be along to correct me.

Depending on your love of the stock sights, that might be one item I'd consider modifying first. "8.2.1.3.1 Sights may be changed to another notch and post type. Slides may not be machined to accept different style sights." So, as long as the new sights are notch-and-post (no ghost-rings, Bo-Mar ribs, and what not) and will fit the G34 without any machining of the slide, you're good to go. If it were me, at the very least I'd consider a fiber-optic front.

If you have a Gen4 you may not need it, but if you prefer a grip that grips you back, skateboard tape or similar is allowed.

Then there is the somewhat nebulous 8.2.1.3.10 that states, "Internal accuracy work," is allowed. I think the general assumption is that so long as you don't make any "accuracy work" modifications that aren't otherwise disallowed, go for it. Truth is, though, a stock G34 is going to be pretty much accurate enough for IDPA unless you start climbing into the upper echelons and challenging for regional or national championships. Just IMHO.

Aftermarket magazine base plates are also allowed as long as they don't add more than 1 oz. more than the factory mag. So that's a maybe, maybe not. one once doesn't buy you much recoil control. Too, if you have a pre-Gen4 G34, your gun will only barely fit into the SSP size box. Adding much depth or rearward extension with a new base plate may not work. The Gen4 is a fraction of an inch shorter, so it gives you a tiny bit more room to play with.

I won't go into ESP modifications because, other than the sizing box being identical and the weight limitation the same at 43 ounces, there are a whole slew of mods allowed in that division. Truthfully, though, if you want to shoot your G34 and be competitive, I'd think you'd want to stay in SSP.
Join the NRA or upgrade your membership today. Support the Texas Firearms Coalition and subscribe to the Podcast.
I’ve contacted my State Rep, Gary Elkins, about co-sponsoring HB560. Have you contacted your Rep?
NRA Benefactor Life Member

Skiprr

Post by Skiprr »

Should have mentioned that the rule book can be had here: http://members.idpa.com/Content/Rules/x2gukat1.wyt.pdf.

Yep: that goofy-looking URL is correct. No naming convention I'd ever use, but hey...
Join the NRA or upgrade your membership today. Support the Texas Firearms Coalition and subscribe to the Podcast.
I’ve contacted my State Rep, Gary Elkins, about co-sponsoring HB560. Have you contacted your Rep?
NRA Benefactor Life Member

canvasbck

Post by canvasbck »

Soccerdad1995 wrote:
I'd like to keep it SSP legal, if possible. Any recommendations on who I should use for the trigger work (in Houston)? Also, what about the sights?
There are a ton of folks around Houston who can do the trigger work. Pm me for references on the south side.

Pretty much the competition standard on sights are fiber in the front and blacked out rear. Personal preference will dictate the size fiber you want up front. I prefer a larger, .060 fiber for easier/quicker acquisition.
"All bleeding eventually stops.......quit whining!"

Return to “Competitive Shooting”