IDPA, IPSC, ICORE & More!

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 4

IDPA Divisions & Pistols

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

We use an automated registration for the IDPA matches at PSC. One of the fields requires shooters to give their Division and it lists the various ones. I also have an "I don't know" option for people who need it. When they select this option, another field appears so they can list the gun they are shooting. I use this information to put them in the correct Division. My thought was that new shooters would use that option once, but from then on they would know their Division. I was wrong because a lot of shooter choose that option every single match!

I'm putting together a list of Divisions, the criteria for each, and a list of commonly used guns that fit in each Division. This list would pop up if people select the "I don't know" option. I would like your input for guns you folks see in IDPA matches. I'm not trying to place every single gun ever made into its Division. For example, I don't need to list Broomhandle Mausers in ESP. I know most of the more common guns we see, but there are others used with which I'm not familiar. (Ex. H&K series pistols.)

If you have any suggestions to be included, please post them in this thread. If there are several iterations in a series that fit into the same Division, like the entire M&P series except for .45ACP, please list them as "M&P series other than .45ACP." When the list is complete, I'll make it available for downloading.

Thanks,
Chas.
Attachments
Pistol Division Descriptions.pdf
(21.13 KiB) Downloaded 207 times

Bitter Clinger
Banned
Posts in topic: 1

Re: IDPA Divisions & Pistols

Post by Bitter Clinger »

Pretty sure that you did not make the rules for the PCC Division, however I found myself wondering why the barrel length and magazine restrictions?

For example, I have a 9mm SIG MPX SBR (built from a pistol) with an 8' bbl and it handles factory standard 30 round mags... :headscratch

Pistol Caliber Carbine Division (PCC):
1. Semi-automatic;
2. Caliber: 9mm (9X19); 357 Sig; .40S&S&W; 10mm, and .45ACP;
3. Designed to be fired from the shoulder and have a butt stock installed
4. Barrel: minimum length is 10”;
5. Maximum magazine capacity: 10 rounds (+ 1 on chamber).

Thanks!
"You may all go to H3ll, and I will go to Texas." - Davy Crockett
"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything." - Wyatt Earp
NRA Life Member
לעולם לא תשכח

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Bitter Clinger wrote:Pretty sure that you did not make the rules for the PCC Division, however I found myself wondering why the barrel length and magazine restrictions?

For example, I have a 9mm SIG MPX SBR (built from a pistol) with an 8' bbl and it handles factory standard 30 round mags... :headscratch

Pistol Caliber Carbine Division (PCC):
1. Semi-automatic;
2. Caliber: 9mm (9X19); 357 Sig; .40S&S&W; 10mm, and .45ACP;
3. Designed to be fired from the shoulder and have a butt stock installed
4. Barrel: minimum length is 10”;
5. Maximum magazine capacity: 10 rounds (+ 1 on chamber).

Thanks!
You're right, I had nothing to do with the rules! If I were asked to amend the IDPA rules, I'd start with a match and lighter fluid.

Chas.

Skiprr

Post by Skiprr »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:You're right, I had nothing to do with the rules! If I were asked to amend the IDPA rules, I'd start with a match and lighter fluid.
The winner of the internet for November 28, 2016! "rlol"
Join the NRA or upgrade your membership today. Support the Texas Firearms Coalition and subscribe to the Podcast.
I’ve contacted my State Rep, Gary Elkins, about co-sponsoring HB560. Have you contacted your Rep?
NRA Benefactor Life Member

Scott Murray

Post by Scott Murray »

Hi Charles,

You show DA/SA Sigs as being ESP. They can certainly be used in that Division, but most of us would use them in SSP.

That DA/SA is considered "Double Action" for this purpose is shown in 8.2.1.2.1 of the rule book.

Scott

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Scott Murray wrote:Hi Charles,

You show DA/SA Sigs as being ESP. They can certainly be used in that Division, but most of us would use them in SSP.

That DA/SA is considered "Double Action" for this purpose is shown in 8.2.1.2.1 of the rule book.

Scott
I agree, but all of the descriptions are directly from the IDPA rules. I'm trying to put together a list of pistol in each Division.

Chas.

extremist

Post by extremist »

Here's a cut from my years of experience as an MD:

SSP - Glock 19/17/34, M&P 4", Pro, L, Walther P99/PPQ 4" and 5", HK VP9/USP, Springfield XD and XDm 4-5", CZ 75/SP01 (Not Target), Ruger SR9 are most common in my experience.
ESP - 1911 9mm variants Commander/Full, Glocks/M&Ps/XD/XDms with added magwells, 2011 variants, CZ 75 SA/SP01s, most common
CDP - 1911 Full mostly, with some plastics filling in XDm 45 and Glock 21/41. Sometimes an H&K 45 or USP.
Rev - S&W 66/586/686, Ruger SP101/Security Six, typically
BUG (2016) - Glock 26/42/43, CZ P01, Walther CCP/P99C/PPS, Springfield XDS/XD/XDm Compact, M&P Shield/Compact, Ruger LC9, Kahr PM9/CM9
CCP (2016) - Glock 19 dominates, CZ P01, Walther CCP/PPQ, XDm Compact, Ruger SR9C, M&P Compact

Good start.

James
TX LTC Instructor, NRA Endowment Life Member, USPSA CRO
NRA Handgun/Rifle/Shotgun/Home Firearm Safety, Chief Range Safety Officer

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

extremist wrote:Here's a cut from my years of experience as an MD:

SSP - Glock 19/17/34, M&P 4", Pro, L, Walther P99/PPQ 4" and 5", HK VP9/USP, Springfield XD and XDm 4-5", CZ 75/SP01 (Not Target), Ruger SR9 are most common in my experience.
ESP - 1911 9mm variants Commander/Full, Glocks/M&Ps/XD/XDms with added magwells, 2011 variants, CZ 75 SA/SP01s, most common
CDP - 1911 Full mostly, with some plastics filling in XDm 45 and Glock 21/41. Sometimes an H&K 45 or USP.
Rev - S&W 66/586/686, Ruger SP101/Security Six, typically
BUG (2016) - Glock 26/42/43, CZ P01, Walther CCP/P99C/PPS, Springfield XDS/XD/XDm Compact, M&P Shield/Compact, Ruger LC9, Kahr PM9/CM9
CCP (2016) - Glock 19 dominates, CZ P01, Walther CCP/PPQ, XDm Compact, Ruger SR9C, M&P Compact

Good start.

James
Thanks Jim.

Chas.

DanD
Posts in topic: 2

Post by DanD »

The finalized IDPA 2017 Rulebook was recently released. They changed the BUG size and weight limits again so the S&W Shield would not be excluded.

Here is a podcast from Tactical Triangle about the IDPA 2017 rule changes that also includes a written summary.
Given a 50/50 chance, you will pick wrong 80% of the time. NRA Life Member, IDPA

DanD
Posts in topic: 2

Post by DanD »

The 2017 IDPA Rulebook has been updated yet again. Here is a link to the version 2017.2 rulebook: http://members.idpa.com/Content/Rules/4sig5pxx.mr1.pdf
Given a 50/50 chance, you will pick wrong 80% of the time. NRA Life Member, IDPA

gwashorn

Post by gwashorn »

Thanks![/quote]
You're right, I had nothing to do with the rules! If I were asked to amend the IDPA rules, I'd start with a match and lighter fluid.

Chas.[/quote]

OH, perfect! After the last couple of weeks trying to build stages for the Gulf Coast Regional Match I know the feeling!!! This is the BEST!
Gary
AGGIE '74
NRA, TSRA, TFC
Team Trainwreck

Return to “Competitive Shooting”