If the earth shifts on it's axis......

IDPA, IPSC, ICORE & More!

Moderator: carlson1

Liberty
Posts in topic: 1

Re: If the earth shifts on it's axis......

Post by Liberty »

Soccerdad1995 wrote:I just thought of something. Possible dumb question, but why aren't suppressed guns standard issue for LEO and military personnel? It can't be a lack of holsters. If these were standard issue, then there would be a huge incentive for holster makers to invest in R&D. And obviously holster availability is not an issue for long guns. It can't be legal restrictions since those don't really apply, do they (military personnel already have plenty of Class 3 weapons, and do police). The benefit seems obvious since you usually don't have time to put on ear protection before a firefight.

So is there a performance difference here? Or is it a cost issue?
Length and awkwardness. I would love a suppressed gun for the range or even for home defense. but carrying around the extra length and weight is not something many cops or soldiers look foward too. ( Earplugs don't weigh much) If you are expecting trouble.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

Topic author
JustSomeOldGuy
Posts in topic: 3

Post by JustSomeOldGuy »

C-dub wrote:Maybe I'm missing something here. There's a holster that can accommodate a suppressed handgun for these competitions?
Safariland 012 and it's other manufacturer equivalents (Ghost, CR Speed, etc)
https://www.safariland.com/products/las ... l_012.html

Dropped offset kydex models would probably work as well as long as they were open ended and you use a slim body 'can'
member of the church of San Gabriel de Possenti
lay brother in the order of St. John Moses Browning
USPSA limited/single stack/revolver

Sport Coach

Post by Sport Coach »

Looks like I'd have to get a longer torso and arm for the draw from a holster with a suppressor OR maybe they'll make a "drop knee" holster.
“Hope is an expensive commodity. It makes better sense to be prepared.” - Thucydides

loktite

Post by loktite »

or you could go for the one Excaliber linked in http://www.texaschlforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=88498 :smilelol5:
NRA Endowment Member

tomneal

Post by tomneal »

Shot Timers
I have a shot timer for my suppressed .22 rimfire. It works fine for the .22 and for my .38 Super Open gun.

My suppressed 9MM is still a bit loud to shoot with hearing protection.
See you at the range
NRA Life, TSRA Life, USPSA Life, Mensa (not worth $50 per year so it's expired)
Tom (Retired May 2019) Neal

Return to “Competitive Shooting”