Lonestar Armory Run and Gun (Biathlon)

IDPA, IPSC, ICORE & More!

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
equin
Posts in topic: 19

Re: Lonestar Armory Run and Gun (Biathlon)

Post by equin »

Well, if it makes you feel any better, I admit I DNF’ed every stage except one. Somehow, I didn’t even come in last place, either. My pistol shooting is lacking, and I really need to work on it. I was surprised by how well I did with my rifle shooting, though.

If anything, the event was able to show me my weaknesses in physical strength, stamina, gear and shooting ability. So in that regard, it taught me a whole lot and was well worth it. I suspected I was going to get something good out of it, but didn’t know just how beneficial it would be until now that I finally did one. And despite how humbling it can be, I now want to do more of these.
Ed

Topic author
equin

Post by equin »

Oh, and I forgot to add. There were some really competitive folks out there, but don’t let that scare you. Some of the college-aged Texas A&M marksman team members smoked pass me like nothing. Despite their youth, the guy that won the overall didn’t look as young as them, more like a really fit guy getting close to middle age. But I see these events more as a way to gauge your own strengths and weaknesses and to compete against yourself for further improvement down the line. I got the impression nobody else really cared how good or bad or fast or slow you are. They all seemed to focus on their own performance, but were still very friendly to an aging newbie like me.
Ed

SQLGeek
Posts in topic: 5

Post by SQLGeek »

But I see these events more as a way to gauge your own strengths and weaknesses and to compete against yourself for further improvement down the line.
Oh absolutely. I've found that to be true with many such endeavors. I am not a runner and never have been. My interest in shooting has pushed me to look into these events as something to train for. I am wanting to start a running program here pretty soon and this is the push I need.

Thanks again for sharing your experience, it sounds like a fantastic if not challenging time.
Psalm 91:2

Topic author
equin

Post by equin »

I hear ya! I’m no distance runner, either. I find it kind of boring. Never got the “runner’s high,” either, but maybe it comes with more distance?

But knowing I was doing it for a shooting event like this changed everything. I actually looked forward to going out for a jog and seeing how much further I could go than the last time. I practiced jogging in the rain, in dirt and tall, un-mowed grass along deserted roads in the hopes of trying to simulate what it might be like on the course (never realizing the soggy, messy mudfest that awaited me at this particular one). I also looked forward to trying out different weighted backpacks, running shoes and boots, and seeing which ones worked best. I made the mistake at first of jogging with too much weight (35 lb kettle bell) in my pack, though. I then went with much lighter weight and slowly worked my way up. I learned not to exceed a certain weight (for me it was 20 lbs), but I’m guessing it’s different for everyone.

It actually became fun, although at my age in my early 50’s, I couldn’t keep anywhere near the pace I was once able to keep back when I ran the quarter and half mile events in high school track. I accepted that for now, at least, a jogging pace would suffice. And like I said, you don’t have to run or jog if you don’t want to. Some folks walk it. The training, which I’m sure wasn’t as intense as it is for serious runners, was still enough to help me lose weight, even as I gorged on a bunch of food during the process!

I say definitely try it! If you end up not liking it, at least you can say you tried it once. I will say that half-way through, I was hating myself for doing it and wanted to reach the end. But now I can’t wait to do another one. Not sure why that is. Maybe it’s one of those things where now that you understand the challenge better, you feel like you want to keep challenging yourself?
Ed

Paladin
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Paladin »

The latest Events listing shows a lot happening this year
JOIN NRA TODAY!, NRA Benefactor Life, TSRA Defender Life, Gun Owners of America Life, SAF, FPC, VCDL Member
LTC/SSC Instructor, NRA Certified Instructor, CRSO
The last hope of human liberty in this world rests on us. -Thomas Jefferson

ammoboy2
Posts in topic: 13

Post by ammoboy2 »

Last Weekend's Waco TF was mudfest with rain and hail in the am. I was at least able to get all 7 stages with out DNFing.

Topic author
equin

Post by equin »

That’s impressive you were able to complete each stage. I read somewhere that the vast majority of competitors fail to do that. My first, and so far only, RnG had me DNF every single stage except one. Very humbling!
Ed

SQLGeek
Posts in topic: 5

Post by SQLGeek »

I still want to do one of the Impact Run n Gun events out here in West Houston. I need to get off my butt.
Psalm 91:2

Topic author
equin

Post by equin »

I’ve only done the what the heck RnG in Crawford but would also like to try the Impact RnG as well. I think Impact is only a 5K, though, right?
Ed

Topic author
equin

Post by equin »

I typed out “W-T-F” but the board’s auto censor changed it to “what the heck.”
Ed

Liberty
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Liberty »

equin wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 10:24 pm I typed out “W-T-F” but the board’s auto censor changed it to “what the heck.”
The autocensor has its brain in the gutter.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

ammoboy2

Post by ammoboy2 »

Waco TF did select their name to fit the letters.

I have run all but the Oct 2016Crawford biathlons and this is the first time I have cleaned the shooting stages, usually have at least 1 or 2 DNFs. I am a greybeard so have never done the wall though I plan to eventually, just take the 15 minute penalty and call it good. Tried to paste the DNF stats but failed so here they are: stg1 39%, stg2 44%, stg3 73%, stg4 28%, stg5 17%, stg 6 39%, stg7 51%. The big killers were stages 3 and 7. I am sure the problem with stage 1 was the time spent going over the suspended tire wall. The tires were slippery. I do not like stage 5 when there is a lot of mud, it makes climbing the tree rather difficult. All the stages have there difficulties you have to figure out how to overcome it just becomes if you can do it in the timeframe allowed. The addition of the tire crawl at the end was a real pain and got all my gear fully mudded up.

ammoboy2

Post by ammoboy2 »

Lone Star Armory R&G this weekend, I think they still have slots for Sunday available.

kayt00

Post by kayt00 »

These look like they would be fun as heck. What does it cost to register?
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Nevermind...
All lost in a tragic kayaking incident.
Bring back BitterClinger

jb2012

Post by jb2012 »

I’m extremely interested. Can I run an ar pistol to save weight? Or does it need to be a “rifle”?

Return to “Competitive Shooting”