Want to get started

IDPA, IPSC, ICORE & More!

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
Maxwell
Posts in topic: 2

Want to get started

Post by Maxwell »

I would like to look into some of the competitive matches but would like to watch as I learn more about the differences in groups. Any ideas on where to start my research?

Thanks,
Max
I never let schooling interfere with my education. Mark Twain

oljames3
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Want to get started

Post by oljames3 »

Maxwell wrote: Thu Jul 19, 2018 9:14 pm I would like to look into some of the competitive matches but would like to watch as I learn more about the differences in groups. Any ideas on where to start my research?

Thanks,
Max
In May I started competing in USPSA matches. You can find clubs and matches near you at https://uspsa.org/. I would recommend you take training that involves drawing from the holster before competing. This is not strictly necessary, but I found it helpful in my experience. And, of course, dry fire your draw stroke as well as the fundamentals.
O. Lee James, III Captain, US Army (Retired 2012), Honorable Order of St. Barbara
2/19FA, 1st Cavalry Division 73-78; 56FA BDE (Pershing) 78-81
NRA, NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Instructor, Rangemaster Certified, GOA, TSRA, NAR L1

Topic author
Maxwell
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Maxwell »

oljames3 wrote: Fri Jul 20, 2018 8:18 am
Maxwell wrote: Thu Jul 19, 2018 9:14 pm I would like to look into some of the competitive matches but would like to watch as I learn more about the differences in groups. Any ideas on where to start my research?

Thanks,
Max
In May I started competing in USPSA matches. You can find clubs and matches near you at https://uspsa.org/. I would recommend you take training that involves drawing from the holster before competing. This is not strictly necessary, but I found it helpful in my experience. And, of course, dry fire your draw stroke as well as the fundamentals.
Thanks oljames!

Yeah, I need some holster training. I'm neither fast nor smooth.
I never let schooling interfere with my education. Mark Twain

extremist
Posts in topic: 1

Post by extremist »

First question would be - where are you located?

In the DFW metroplex, we have a tremendous choice of matches available every week.

Dallas Pistol Club is a great place to start competing.

Someone (hint hint), can teach you the proper methods of drawing and you can learn slowly with a variety of matches.

Steel as a first match is a good place to start.

www.dallaspistolclub.com
TX LTC Instructor, NRA Endowment Life Member, USPSA CRO
NRA Handgun/Rifle/Shotgun/Home Firearm Safety, Chief Range Safety Officer

Return to “Competitive Shooting”