10 Year License

Relevant bills filed and their status

Moderator: Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
beaucoup ammo
Posts in topic: 5

10 Year License

Post by beaucoup ammo »

This is my 1st day here. The question I have may have already been addressed, but here goes! The renewal time for a Texas CHL was extended to 10 years from 5 back in September of '07.

Will those of us holding CHL's at that time be "grandfathered in" and be able to have an active CHL for the full 10 years, or does the new time line apply only to new CHL's issued after the law change went into effect?

Thanks!!

AEA
Posts in topic: 2

Re: 10 Year License

Post by AEA »

You are mistaken........

The CHL is valid for only 5 years and there has been no change to that.

The 10 years has to do with the Instruction/Qualification after the 3rd one.
Alan - ANYTHING I write is MY OPINION only.
Certified Curmudgeon - But, my German Shepherd loves me!
NRA-Life, USN '65-'69 & '73-'79: RM1
1911's RULE!

Topic author
beaucoup ammo
Posts in topic: 5

Post by beaucoup ammo »

Thanks, AEA! I was under one big misconception. Appreciate your setting me straight on that!
You can never have too much ammo or too much garlic!

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

I'm not sure how long the "one class in 10 years" is going to last. There's going to be some strong pressure from DPS to change it back to requiring a class on every renewal.

Chas.

seamusTX

Post by seamusTX »

Why would DPS care whether people take a class?

- Jim

AEA

Post by AEA »

Because it will loose revenue for Instructors and possibly loose 30% of Instructors. Which, results in a loss of revenue for DPS and their required Instructor Course every 2 years.
Alan - ANYTHING I write is MY OPINION only.
Certified Curmudgeon - But, my German Shepherd loves me!
NRA-Life, USN '65-'69 & '73-'79: RM1
1911's RULE!

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

seamusTX wrote:Why would DPS care whether people take a class?

- Jim
The DPS folks that run the CHL program are very protective of CHLs and they are convinced that going 10 years without an update on Texas law is going to cause problems for CHLs. The Texas Legislature would have held 5 sessions between CHL renewal classes. I am concerned that the current law could cause us problems with reciprocity with some states.

Chas.

KBCraig
Banned

Post by KBCraig »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:
seamusTX wrote:Why would DPS care whether people take a class?

- Jim
The DPS folks that run the CHL program are very protective of CHLs and they are convinced that going 10 years without an update on Texas law is going to cause problems for CHLs.
They they should allow renewals (heck, even initial issue!) to challenge the test without having to pay for the whole class. If they're worried about CHLs knowing the law, what better solution than just letting them take the test?

AJSully421

Post by AJSully421 »

federal law forbids licenses of this type for longer than 5 years without renewal. instructors are a different story.
"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." - Ronald Reagan, 1964

30.06 signs only make criminals and terrorists safer.

NRA, LTC, School Safety, Armed Security, & Body Guard Instructor

boomerang
Posts in topic: 1

Post by boomerang »

AJSully421 wrote:federal law forbids licenses of this type for longer than 5 years without renewal. instructors are a different story.
What Federal law forbids that?

Indiana offers a lifetime concealed carry license for people who are willing to pay more. How much more? The Indiana lifetime license costs about the same as an initial Texas 4-5 year license.
"Ees gun! Ees not safe!"

ELB

Post by ELB »

AJSully421 wrote:federal law forbids licenses of this type for longer than 5 years without renewal. instructors are a different story.
???

Indiana issues both four-year and lifetime "unlimited" CCW permits for Indiana residents (and even the lifetime is cheaper than ours. Heh.) (BTW, "Qualified" permits are for hunting and target shooting -- "Unlimited" are for personal protection). Non-residents who have a business or employment in Indiana can only get the four-year unlimited permit. Texas recognizes Indiana permits, and the reciprocity letter does not distinguish between the four-year and lifetime permits.

However, I suspect the Indiana lifetime permit is not good for bypassing a NICS check when buying a firearm, which is perhaps what you are referring to. I believe there is a federal background-check-within-five-years for state CHLs to be recognized as substitutes for the federal NICS check. However, I can't find verification of this on the Indiana State Police website -- I suspect since the NICS check is federal business, I would have to look it up on some federal website. Too lazy.

elb

p.s. I see Boomerang sneaked in ahead of me while I was still typing. FYI -- Indiana four-year unlimited permits are $30, lifetime permits are $75, unless you already have a four-year permit, in which case upgrading to a lifetime permit costs $60. I think ours is still $140, no?
USAF 1982-2005

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Federal law can't set license duration, but any license term over five years does not qualify for NICS exemption.

Chas.

AJSully421

Post by AJSully421 »

that's what i meant :iagree:
"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." - Ronald Reagan, 1964

30.06 signs only make criminals and terrorists safer.

NRA, LTC, School Safety, Armed Security, & Body Guard Instructor

MoJo

Post by MoJo »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:Federal law can't set license duration, but any license term over five years does not qualify for NICS exemption.

Chas.
The NICS exemption is worth the trouble of taking the class every five years to me. If you've ever had a purchase denied by NICS you'll know what I'm talking about.
"To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
George Mason
Texas and Louisiana CHL Instructor, NRA Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection and Refuse To Be A Victim Instructor

Mike1951

Post by Mike1951 »

The deciding factor with regards to NICS is not whether you take the class, but whether the background check is done.

Skipping the allowed class should make no difference whatsoever, as long as DPS does their part.
Mike
AF5MS
TSRA Life Member
NRA Benefactor Member

Return to “2007 Texas Legislative Session”