Just say no to HB2112

Relevant bills filed and their status

Moderator: Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
wheelgun1958
Posts in topic: 1

Just say no to HB2112

Post by wheelgun1958 »

HB2112 would ban firearms from school parking lots. All firearms would be prohibited, including legally concealed handguns. This is new language to penal code 46.03a. Contact your Texas House member and tell them to vote NO.

[new language] (7) in or on any real property that is owned or leased by a public or private school or educational institution and routinely used by the faculty, staff, students, or visitors of the school or educational institution, including a parking lot, parking garage, or other parking area. [new language]

Commander

HB2112

Post by Commander »

This bill is authored by Diane Patrick of Arlington. According to her website, she is a Republican and a former President of the Arlington School Board. The bill was filed on 02/27 and was referred to the Law Enforcement Committee today (03/06). The bill has no co-authors or sponsors.

Let's hope this thing never gets out of committee.
"Happiness is a warm gun" - The Beatles - 1969

Commander

carlson1

Post by carlson1 »

Wheelgun welcome to the TexasCHLForum and thanks for the information.

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

It is a very bad bill; one that was filed in identical form last session and in very similar form in 2003. It is being pushed by law enforcement, but it is both unnecessary and overly broad.

BTW, Diane Patrick is a freshman Representative who returned a "B" Questionnaire. In my opinion, she just earned a "D," but that's not my call. Let's see if she asked for a hearing on her bill.

I do not recommend any action at this point. There is no reason to call attention to it now.

Chas.

cjlandry

Post by cjlandry »

Still something to keep an eye on.

I've seen several responses from congress-critters on HR1022, when pro-gun folks have written them. Some of those reps basically say, "We need to get those evil assault weapons off the streets". So if that rep didn't know about the bill before, someone brought it to their attention, and they will probably support the bad legislation simply because it triggered an emotional response.

stevie_d_64

Post by stevie_d_64 »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:It is a very bad bill; one that was filed in identical form last session and in very similar form in 2003. It is being pushed by law enforcement, but it is both unnecessary and overly broad.

BTW, Diane Patrick is a freshman Representative who returned a "B" Questionnaire. In my opinion, she just earned a "D," but that's not my call. Let's see if she asked for a hearing on her bill.

I do not recommend any action at this point. There is no reason to call attention to it now.

Chas.
I agree...Patience...This may go away on its own...
"Perseverance and Preparedness triumph over Procrastination and Paranoia every time.” -- Steve
NRA - Life Member
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"
Μολών λαβέ!

Return to “2007 Texas Legislative Session”