Relevant bills filed and their status

Moderator: Charles L. Cotton

lrb111
Posts in topic: 3

Post by lrb111 »

txinvestigator wrote:
lrb111 wrote:
txinvestigator wrote:
lrb111 wrote:Isn't Farmer's Branch trying to take back their schools from the government?
That makes them a candidate.
How could they do that? Farmers Branch IS the government.
From what I understand they are trying to get their schools operating solely on local money. Even getting donations. That means they can cut the ties and control of the feds in their affairs.
Schools get about 37% from local funds, 57% from the state and only 9% Federal money.

The federal govt. has little input over schools.
We have about 13 school teachers in our family. They hate the TAKS testing. Primarily because that's what they teach. It is the criterion for "No child left behind". The federal mandate.
Ø resist

Take away the second first, and the first is gone in a second.

NRA Life Member, TSRA, chl instructor

srothstein
Posts in topic: 1

Post by srothstein »

txinvestigator wrote:Schools get about 37% from local funds, 57% from the state and only 9% Federal money.

I disagree. Many federal laws get passed, such as No Child Left Behind, that apply to any school that receives any federal funding. If the school district accepts one dollar from the federal government, it is subject to many rules and policies of the federal government that could not constitutionally apply any other way.

About the only thing more abused in federal laws than the commerce clause is the power of the budget. States and localities have been subject to economic blackmail by the feds since they first accepted any revenue sharing.
Steve Rothstein

cjlandry

Post by cjlandry »

And again, as noted above, even if you don't take a dollar from the feds, they still practice extortion with refusing to recognize your school's accreditation.

So much for the free country that our Founders intended.

It's to the point where I wouldn't be a bit upset if Texas were to secede.

KD5NRH

Re: Liberty, I feel your pain....sorry for the BC reference

Post by KD5NRH »

Liberty wrote:I have read in this very group about the Crime in Texas A&M/ I know students in the Houston University's that are petrified of their campuses. Broad daylight rapes and muggings are almost an everyday events.
I've been on campuses where I was literally being my own advance man; carry (without entering any building, of course) until I find where I need to go, and work out the safest route on the way back to the car to lock up the gun.

Pretty bad considering I'm male, look like I can take care of myself, and don't really look like I carry much cash. I often wonder how the teeny-boppers with overloaded purses and the situational awareness of cheese dip ever survive.

kw5kw

Post by kw5kw »

cjlandry wrote:And again, as noted above, even if you don't take a dollar from the feds, they still practice extortion with refusing to recognize your school's accreditation.

So much for the free country that our Founders intended.

It's to the point where I wouldn't be a bit upset if Texas were to secede.
Especially if the Demo's win this next Presidential election, Huh?
Russ
kw5kw

Retired DPS Communications Operator PCO III January 2014.

txinvestigator
Posts in topic: 3

Post by txinvestigator »

srothstein wrote:
txinvestigator wrote:Schools get about 37% from local funds, 57% from the state and only 9% Federal money.

I disagree. Many federal laws get passed, such as No Child Left Behind, that apply to any school that receives any federal funding. If the school district accepts one dollar from the federal government, it is subject to many rules and policies of the federal government that could not constitutionally apply any other way.
Thats about 9% of the Schools budget, according to what I have read
About the only thing more abused in federal laws than the commerce clause is the power of the budget. States and localities have been subject to economic blackmail by the feds since they first accepted any revenue sharing.
I know. Look how the feds made states lower speed limits by threatening to withhold highway funds if the 55 MPH limit was not set.
*CHL Instructor*

"Speed is Fine, but accuracy is final"- Bill Jordan

Remember those who died, remember those who killed them.

Return to “2007 Texas Legislative Session”