HB 2952 - fixing definitions - what's it's status????

Relevant bills filed and their status

Moderator: Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
dworkings
Posts in topic: 2

HB 2952 - fixing definitions - what's it's status????

Post by dworkings »

What does it mean when it says under Actions: Committee report sent to calendars?

Is this one ready for a vote? If so, is it sent to the Senate next?

Thanks,
Doug Workings

srothstein
Posts in topic: 1

Post by srothstein »

That is an interesting bill. I don't know how I missed that one, but it is an important change. Basically, for anyone else that missed this bill, it changes the definition of a felony conviction for CHL or felon in possession of a firearm, to make them misdemeanors if the offense is not a felony when the person applies for the CHL or is actually in possession of the firearm. The offense that jumps to my mind on this, besides older drug laws, is burglary of a motor vehicle, which has been downgraded from felony to class A misdemeanor.

And the answer to your question (if I understand the legislative process correctly) is that the calendars committee is who schedules things for a floor vote in the house. While normally, we worry about bills getting voted out of their assigned committee, we also need to make sure this committee schedules it for a vote within the time limits. It can still die in this committee if they just do not place it on the calendar to be discussed.
Steve Rothstein

Topic author
dworkings
Posts in topic: 2

HB 2952 Is a very important bill

Post by dworkings »

This bill clearifies the DEFINITION of 'felony' as it effects CHL. It removes all the ambiguity and cloudiness that has surrounded the definition. We should support this one, and urge our elected officials to put this on the fast track, and PASS it.
Doug Workings

Return to “2007 Texas Legislative Session”