Newbie question - conceal carry with no holster?

The "What Works, What Doesn't," "Recommendations & Experiences"

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

bugsbunny45
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Newbie question - conceal carry with no holster?

Post by bugsbunny45 »

For the 1911 the hammer back and no round in chamber safety off is all part of the Israel Draw. Remember the 1911 has a grip safety and the regular thumb safety. Its actually how I plan to carry my 1911 at times when I don't want to have 1 in the chamber and hammer cocked.
Member of NRA and TSRA

speedsix
Posts in topic: 4

Post by speedsix »

Dupe
Last edited by speedsix on Wed Feb 09, 2011 1:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

speedsix
Posts in topic: 4

Post by speedsix »

...I haven't ever heard whether the Israelis train to have the hammer up or down...it would relieve a tiny bit of resistance, but that hammer would gouge my belly...maybe someone here has rubbed shoulders with the ones trained by the Israelis and acan clear that up...I would, and did, for the short time I carried so, leave the hammer down...for comfort...
...not knocking anyone's decisions, my personal opinion is that every gun should be in a holster...so that it's right where you left it when you reach...instead of laying over in a pocket, or slipping down or hanging on clothing, or accidentally releasing the magazine, leaving you with a single shot...holsters give us safety and control...and I agree with the boss that the revolver needs to have a full cylinder or a pistol needs to have one in the barrel....UNLESS you're carrying a gun with no hammer block/transfer bar, ie an old Single Action Army...in which case...hammer goes down on an empty chamber...

Safety first...then personal preference...

thankGod

Post by thankGod »

I often carry without a holster, but it is with DA or DA/SA pistols. I like the Clipdraw. It has worked well for me so far.

http://www.clipdraw.com/

It cuts down on the bulk, and it is comfortable.
thankGod
NRA Life Member
TSRA
"Be watchful, stand firm in your faith, be courageous, be strong." 1Cor16:13

Cobra Medic

Post by Cobra Medic »

I bought a sheet of kydex online and made a bunch of MIC-style holsterettes.
This will only hurt a little. What comes next, more so.

Salty1

Post by Salty1 »

To each their own, carry method is a personal choice that comes with trial and error as well as experience. Why an instructor who considers themself an expert in CC and teaches CHL to many people with little experience in carrying in public would show a class this is beyond my wildest imagination.
Salty1

Excaliber

Post by Excaliber »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:As speedsix mentioned, the first thing I thought of was the Israeli method, but I don't think they had the thumb safety on. Plus, the method I saw demonstrated involved bringing the gun to the middle of the body while in a combat squat and the gun turned sideways (Hollywood gangster style), racking the slide with the weak hand, then shooting. (The instructor claimed he could do it as fast as I could draw a charged pistol from a holster and fire. He couldn't; not even close.)

As much as I admire the Israelis and the Israeli military, I always thought that was a ridiculous way to carry a handgun. If you don't trust yourself with a round in the chamber, don't carry the gun until you do.

Chas.
:iagree:

I attended a training class with an Israeli commando instructor. He was openly contemptuous of American LEO's for carrying with chamber loaded, and taught the sideways slide rack technique which he insisted was necessary for safety.

He was fast with his method, but as you pointed out, not nearly as fast as someone who didn't have to execute all those extra failure prone moves.

I agree that anyone who can't manage loaded chamber carry safely has work to do before he's ready to carry in public at all.
Excaliber

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Jeff Cooper
I am not a lawyer. Nothing in any of my posts should be construed as legal or professional advice.

MojoTexas

Post by MojoTexas »

My thought is that this is Texas, and during the warmer months I don't want my expensive steel Kimber exposed to sweat with just thin fabric between my skin and the pistol.

For one thing, I would think it would be uncomfortable, and secondly, I would think it would lead to rust and corrosion.

To each his own, I suppose, but I think I'll keep carrying my Super Tuck IWB holster.
NRA Life member, TSRA member

"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life."
--Robert A. Heinlein, Beyond This Horizon, 1942

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

mgood wrote:
gigag04 wrote:Why have it cocked if you have to cycle the action to chamber a round (and thus cock the hammer)?
I wondered the same thing. :headscratch
Only thing I came up with is that it would be a little easier to rack the slide that way since you're only pulling against the recoil spring and not the mainspring (hammer spring).
Exactly.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

pedalman

Post by pedalman »

This is why you should ALWAYS carry in a quality holster:

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=19394" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

TexasT

Post by TexasT »

Sounds rediculous. I agree with the Street Gang comment. I think you shouold always carry cocked and locked. That extra second to chamber a round could cost you or your lovced ones their lives. ANd you should always carry in a holster, IWB. :patriot:

Silent Professional

Post by Silent Professional »

Everybody's favorite technique is perfect, until they get incoming. My personal technique is flawless.
"Out of one hundred men on the battlefield, eighty should not even be here. Ten are nothing more than targets.
Nine are the real fighters, we are lucky to have them, They the battle make. Ah, but the one.
One is a warrior and he will bring the others back."
- Heraclitus, 500 B.C.

Return to “New to CHL?”