Carry in a post office and police station???

The "What Works, What Doesn't," "Recommendations & Experiences"

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

Morgan
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Carry in a post office and police station???

Post by Morgan »

I just took the class yesterday and was told that parking lots cannot be excluded.

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

Morgan wrote:I just took the class yesterday and was told that parking lots cannot be excluded.
If you are in Texas, your instructor was incorrect. Federal property period is off-limits. And private parking lots CAN be posted 30.06 and it is valid. What you may be remembering is school parking lots are NOT excluded.

Private employers are another factor and company policy can dictate other prohibited zones for its employees.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

Morgan

Post by Morgan »

Sorry, I should have been more clear... the mall parking lot, which isn't posted.

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

Morgan wrote:Sorry, I should have been more clear... the mall parking lot, which isn't posted.
Yes, anyplace not posted 30.06 (except federal property or otherwise off-limits in the statutes) is good to go unless you receive verbal notification from a person in charge that you cannot carry there. If the post office is in the strip mall, then I would still leave it in a car as it is gray as to the legality of an official branch post office in a 'ship it shop'.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

KBCraig
Banned
Posts in topic: 1

Post by KBCraig »

Just to clarify about federal "property":

A. It is not illegal per U.S. Code to carry on federal "grounds". 18 USC 930 makes it illegal to carry in federal "facilities", which it defines at "a building, or portion of a building, where federal employees routinely perform work."

B. Most, but certainly not all, federal agencies have policies against firearms on any part of their property, including grounds and parking lots, but policy is not law. Some have codified this policy by publishing a Rule in the Code of Federal Regulations, which gives this policy the weight of law (at the misdemeanor level).

As a federal employee with law enforcement powers, I have had to argue this many times with my own agency. For decades they have posted notices warning that it is a felony to bring firearms onto the institution grounds; it is not. They don't even have a codified Rule about it, although they do have a policy. Policy is not law, and we can't arrest someone for violating our policy. All we can do is tell them to leave.

flb_78

Post by flb_78 »

If it's illegal to have a firearm on post office property, how do FFL's use the post office to ship firearms???? :headscratch
http://www.AmarilloGunOwners.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

anygunanywhere

Post by anygunanywhere »

flb_78 wrote:If it's illegal to have a firearm on post office property, how do FFL's use the post office to ship firearms???? :headscratch
Handguns cannot be sent via postal service.

Anyone can send a rifle via postal service under certain conditions. I sent a rifle to a gunsmith from the League City PO. The lady behind the countrer printed out the common sense rules and regulations for me.

Anygunanywhere
"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." Mike Vanderboegh

"The Smallest Minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." – Ayn Rand

flb_78

Post by flb_78 »

I had the understanding that an FFL can send a handgun via Priority mail if I remember correctly.
http://www.AmarilloGunOwners.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

anygunanywhere

Post by anygunanywhere »

flb_78 wrote:I had the understanding that an FFL can send a handgun via Priority mail if I remember correctly.
If I am incorrect I certainly hope someone points it out.

Anygunanywhere
"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." Mike Vanderboegh

"The Smallest Minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." – Ayn Rand

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

anygunanywhere wrote:
flb_78 wrote:I had the understanding that an FFL can send a handgun via Priority mail if I remember correctly.
If I am incorrect I certainly hope someone points it out. Anygunanywhere
IANAL, but the way I read this is that FFLs can use the USPS to mail handguns.

11.1.5 Manufacturers and Dealers
Handguns may also be mailed between licensed manufacturers of firearms and licensed dealers of firearms in customary trade shipments, or for repairing or replacing parts.

http://pe.usps.gov/search/jsp/search/vv ... ype=2#hit0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
NRA Endowment Member

rm9792

Post by rm9792 »

I think you are confusing individuals with FFL holders. Comman man can not use USPS for handguns ever, only rifles. FFL can use them all they want.

fickman
Posts in topic: 4

Post by fickman »

My CHL instructors had a different take regarding Grapevine Mills. They said that 30.06 must be posted at each public entrance according to the law (size, colors, prominence, etc.). They just said to pick your entrance carefully. . . if you entered a legal public entrance and were not notified, then there's no way for them to expect you to comply. The law doesn't say that you must investigate every entrance of a building before knowing if you can carry.

I'm not trying to say this as "matter-of-fact" except to say this is what my instructors said in 2004. (I took the class at Bass Pro Shop.)
Native Texian

fickman
Posts in topic: 4

Post by fickman »

I did a search and see the mall question has been heavily discussed. I'll see what others have said about it.
Native Texian

KC5AV

Post by KC5AV »

30.06 does not have to be posted at every public entrance. It must be 'conspicuously posted'... I believe that's how the statute reads.
NRA lifetime member

Xander

Post by Xander »

fickman wrote:My CHL instructors had a different take regarding Grapevine Mills. They said that 30.06 must be posted at each public entrance according to the law (size, colors, prominence, etc.).
Wishful thinking, unfortunately. When 30.06 defines the requirements for legal notice "every entrance" is never mentioned. In fact "entrance" is never mentioned. Therefore, there is no requirement that the sign be placed an any specific location, and certainly no requirement that there must be a sign at every entrance. Now, that isn't to say that if you entered through an entrance without a sign unknowingly, that you might not get a break...You might. However, I'll bet if you said you went looking for a door without a sign and therefore couldn't be held criminally liable, I'm willing to bet they'd take a dim view of the potential strength of that particular legal theory.

Return to “New to CHL?”