Do you dress around the gun?

The "What Works, What Doesn't," "Recommendations & Experiences"

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

Rex B
Posts in topic: 1

not me

Post by Rex B »

I haven't changed my dress at all to accomodate carry in the 2 months I've had a CHL. My carry weapons are all Kel-Tec - P32, P3AT, P11.
My choices are in line with my assessment of my own risk. I work in the Riverside area of Ft. Worth, live in Keller, typically recreate in NW Tarrant. My home neighborhood is one of the quietest and most crime-free I have ever lived in. Strangers on the street get a lot of scrutiny. For the most part my risks are low.

My typical daily wear is a pair of dockers and a pullover golf shirt, tucked in.
I usually have the P3AT in it's zip pouch in my right pocket. If I feel a raised threat level, I unzip the pouch in my pocket.
If I am in tighter pants, such as boot jeans, I keep the P32 in a leathe pocket holster that prints like a wallet.

So far I haven't found a comfortable way to carry the P11 9mm, but with cooler weather here that may change. Even then, I expect my daily carry to be the .380 in all but the most high-risk settings. I just don't like heavy pockets, and I have not found a comfortable way to carry IWB, probably due to my physical characteristics.
-----------
“Sometimes there is no alternative to uncertainty except to await the arrival of more and better data.” C. Wunsch

mjstein

Post by mjstein »

A long, heavy cotton shirt and a shoulder rig suffice for my 9mm. I generally wear a thin cotton undershirt (tank top) underneath. However I have a pocket holster for my .380 and carry that all the time when I wear pants with big enough pockets (for a Bersa, yeah I could stand to lose a few :) )... I also have a JAK for my 9mm to wear on my belt with a long shirt outside of my pants.

I have to admit that when I have to wear a standard buttondown shirt for work, I bought an inside the pants holster for my .380... and my 9mm stays in the pocket of my satchel in the hot summer months. Generally it's slung under my arm and my hand can quietly unzip it without anyone seeing.

Venus Pax

Post by Venus Pax »

I dress around it as much as I can, but I'm still discovering what works for me and what doesn't.
Most of the people on this board are men, and I don't believe their bodies are shaped like mine. I get good advice from them though. I try different things. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't.

I got my shirt-tucker holster from Comp-Tac the other day. I'm still deciding if I like it, but I"m definitely getting used to it.

I carry a Bersa .380, and you see the bulge. I would like to carry something bigger, but need to learn to hide this one first.
"If a man breaks in your house, he ain't there for iced tea." Mom & Dad.

The NRA & TSRA are a bargain; they're much cheaper than the cold, dead hands experience.

Roger Howard

Post by Roger Howard »

I have always liked oversized shirts. I wear alot of polo's and hawiian shirts. I normally carry with pancake type leather holster. I never had to change my style of dress when I started carrying. I carry a full sized auto. If I'm going to be doing something more physical where retention could be a problem, I wear a thumb break retention shoulder holster.
If guns kill people, then I can blame mispelled words on my pencil

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

casselthief
Banned

Post by casselthief »

I've always dressed like a slob, so I haven't had to change much :razz: :lol:

srsly, I wear scrubs at work, and jeans and a t-shirt outside of work, and I just use an IWB holster for my S & W Sigma 9mm. no one can see it, and I can get to it pretty quick.
my beretta isn't my carry pistol, and pretty much stays in the truck, or at home.

if/when I can afford it, I want to get a short 357 Mag revolver, and I could get an ankle hoster as well as an IWB.

the 'nades I keep in the truck :razz:
"Good, Bad, I'm the guy with the gun..."

Thane

Post by Thane »

I really don't need to "dress around the gun" terribly much, as I carry a 1911, in either 3" or 5", both IWB and tucked. I'm a fairly skinny guy to begin with (I'm just barely getting away from a 28" waist, and if I start excercising again, I'm sure I'd be there again), and those big ol' .45s just about hide themselves at the 4 o'clock position. The only changes I've made have been to start looking for pants with a 32" waist instead of a 30", and to start blousing out my tucked in shirt to hide the pistol butt. (Yeah, I know - 28" waist and 30-32" pants. My belt takes up the slack, quite literally, but I like having that slack available. I can't stand the "droopy drawers" so common to my generation either.)

RPBrown

Post by RPBrown »

I do dress around the gun somewhat.

Although I have said in previous posts that I refuse to go up a waist size , since my little stay at the hospital this week, and the new diet my wife is making me stick to (yuck), I will be going down in size and may look into the IWB
NRA-Benefactor Life member
TSRA-Life member

KBCraig
Banned

Post by KBCraig »

If "dress around the gun" means modifying your style or wardrobe, then anyone who wears a gun on their body will eventually adapt their clothing to make carrying easier, and concealment more effective.

The exception might be folks who wear a jacket at all times, and only have to upgrade their belt.

Kevin

orionengnr

Post by orionengnr »

Summer--khakis, shorts or jeans. Kahr PM9 in the front pocket in a DeSantis Nemesis.

Winter--Kahr P45 IWB, or in the front pocket in the DeSantis.

Of course I'm only on Year 1.5 of CHL, so I am still looking/working/buying and trying...

Skipper5
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Skipper5 »

orionengnr wrote: Of course I'm only on Year 1.5 of CHL, so I am still looking/working/buying and trying...
I don't know if that ever changes...i.e. how long you've carried...think all of us always looking for something new and more practical/comfortable, etc.

//You like your PM9???
/ John
TX CHL Holder
NRA Life Member
TSRA Member - Yes to Castle Doctrine! Success!!

Return to “New to CHL?”