Tac pants

The "What Works, What Doesn't," "Recommendations & Experiences"

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

Topic author
D.D.M.
Posts in topic: 1

Tac pants

Post by D.D.M. »

Rained out from work today...er..flooded out....I am thinking about buying a pair of tac pants.I have seen others sporting these at the IDPA matches and they look comfortable.What brand??? 5.11 or Woolrich Elite??Haven't had a chance to personally ask anybody about likes or dislikes/preferences..........yall got any opinions????Thanx

SRVA

Post by SRVA »

I have always liked the 511 pants even thought they tend to look a little too "tactical" for everyday wear. The one thing I don't like is the cotton models weigh about 100 pounds when the absorb a little sweat. I switched to the 511 nylon this year and like them very well. They don't hold moisture and dry very quickly.

Quick story about 511. We had a fire at work while I was on my day off. Got dressed quickly and ran to the office to handle the situation. Put my 511 pants on as they were handy. When the situation was resolved and I was briefing the CEO on what happened, he asked if I had been shooting since I had a pair of "shooting pants" on.

511s are comfortable and work well, but the say "GUN" just like wearing a vest or a fanny pack does.

agdude

Post by agdude »

I just bought my first pair today... WOW. They are VERY comfortable and have a pocket for everything I carry. I'm very impressed so far and think they are well worth the money. Good luck.
Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms... Who's bringin' the chips?

rodc13

Post by rodc13 »

I bought 3 pairs of 5.11s before a trip to London last month. They're very comfortable and practical for travelling as well as for shooting. One thing I didn't notice before I bought them is that they have the option for a left or right handed mag pocket, so one pair of mine has the mag pocket on the right.

I purchased mine at Nagel's Gun Shop in San Antonio. They have a very good selection of 5.11 and a variety of other brands, including Woolrich.
Cheers,
Rod

nemesis

Post by nemesis »

I've bought a lot of Woolrich and 5.11 clothing from Intersec Tactical in Galveston and am really impressed with the quality of their products and their good service. I usually buy from them at Saxet Gun Shows in San Antonio and Austin but you can use their website and order with free shipping.

http://www.intersectactical.com/
Packin' Heat Leather Company
Galco Distributor & Bianchi Dealer
McAllen, Texas USA
http://store.packinheatleather.com/

TxFire
Posts in topic: 4

Post by TxFire »

Anybody know of a store in the Dallas area that stocks them?

Lodge2004

Post by Lodge2004 »

I wore my first pair of 5.11 pants this last weekend and was very impressed with the fit, quality and appearance. The extra pockets reminded me of the flight suits I wore in the military and are great place to store all the extra stuff I generally carry around.

They will stand out to anyone who is familar with the brand. While shopping in Walmart, a young man with a crew cut gave me a nod as though he knew me from somewhere. I was initially puzzled until I noticed the t-shirt he was wearing had a local police department insignia on it.

I plan on purchasing several pair. Much better than standard jeans, reasonable priced and don't stand out as much as the 5.11 or a safari vest.

age_ranger
Posts in topic: 2

Post by age_ranger »

There's a shop in Plano that stock them. You can go to the 5.11 website and they list dealers in the area. I think it's Khaki Jacks? Something like that. I just got a 5.11 vest there for IDPA. I have about 4 pairs of 5.11 shorts and a pair of pants. They're very comfortable and have lots of places to stash extra mags and whatever you can carry. They also have a larger space in between belt loops on the right side which helps when I wear an IWB holster. (I think they sell left/right hand versions) Anyway, as for them screaming "GUN".........for those "in the know" they might yell softly "I'm possibly carrying" but to the common person, they really are clueless. Maybe it's a good idea that other CHL holders recognize them?
http://www.berettaforum.net" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Just remember: Your very best thinking got you where you are now!!!

TxFire

Post by TxFire »

I got a pair this week at C&G Supply in Dallas. I am wearing them tothe State Fair this evening so will see how much they SCREAM gun.

TxFire

Post by TxFire »

Well after on wearing of the 5.11 pants I really like them. They did not appear to scream gun. Though I had to at 4 different persons in order to get into the State Fair :evil: . What a process!

RoundRock_Gun_Fan

5.11 belts

Post by RoundRock_Gun_Fan »

Does anyone have any experience with the 5.11 belts? I'm in need of a new belt and the price I found online was not bad at all for a 1 3/4 belt. $29.99 from http://www.strategosstore.com

Thanks
RR
Para-Ordnance 1911 SSP .45
Colt 1911 Government Model (1913)

Skipper5

Post by Skipper5 »

TxFire wrote:Anybody know of a store in the Dallas area that stocks them?
Targetmaster sells 511 vest and pants ...and Coronado vests too.
TX CHL Holder
NRA Life Member
TSRA Member - Yes to Castle Doctrine! Success!!

TxFire

Post by TxFire »

I attempt to shop places other than Targetmaster for personal reasons. I found them very close to there though. Thanks anyway.

WNallG30

Post by WNallG30 »

This kind of goes with another thread as well, but the topics are similar, so here it goes. I think that with current styles, tactical pants and Under Armor are less likely to scream gun these days. I notice kids wearing the stuff ALL the time! I went to the local mall and saw tons of kids wearing Under Armor shirts and even the pants under shorts, which looks absolutely retarded to me! I have alot of Under Armor that I wear under my scrubs at work because it's so thin and still comfortable under scrubs. I've started wearing a sleeveless Under Armor shirt under even T-shirts because my gun slides so easily over it when I draw. As far as tac pants, I see people all the time wearing khaki cargo type shorts and pants. In my opinion, the 5.11's are just a more useful cargo pant. I don't really think they draw that much attention, unless you know what they are. I figure that's why the LEO noticed. Who knows why the CEO noticed though. To a casual observer, however, they look like Abercrombie and Fitch type pants that are soooo popular these days. I think we pay more attention to it though, because we think a little more than the average person, not meaning to offend. But, that's just my opinion, take it for what it's worth.

Will
A vote is like a rifle: its usefulness depends upon the character of the user. -Theodore Roosevelt-

GrannyGlock

Post by GrannyGlock »

Cheaper than Dirt (West FT W) also carries a fair number of 511 items, including pants.

Return to “New to CHL?”