CHL, concealed carry and the wife...

The "What Works, What Doesn't," "Recommendations & Experiences"

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

Topic author
Birdshot70
Posts in topic: 5

CHL, concealed carry and the wife...

Post by Birdshot70 »

I have recently received my CHL. Practiced around the house per a friends suggestion before the plastic arrived.
Excellent advice since I fidgeted the whole first carry trying different positions and ride-high options. :thumbs2:
Now I don't forget it is on but don't mess with it at all unless dressing or undressing....which leads me to the topic question.

I am going to shop for a few new clothes :banghead: and I want to make sure all new items purchased do not fail on the 'concealment' job but also want to make sure that nothing prints or wears 'odd' before making any purchase. The last thing I want to do is have to go back to the store because the fit was fine without but got home and tried it with my EDC and it didn't work. :banghead:

I know I won't be exiting a fitting room with it left in there, and I already know by other topic reads... :rules:
1. No hanging on a hook (I read the Glock story on another thread)
2. Don't leave it laying on the table/bench :nono:
3. Don't open the door before final adjustments

I figure whatever pant/short I have on, it will be on me, so I'll have to move it back and forth if I'm trying on a few different pair.
I have no problem asking my wife if she can tell (since I can see it all the time...but then again I know what I'm looking for), but the last thing I need to have said out loud in a changing room is "Honey, can you see my gun from there?" "rlol"

Are there any tips on best practices for clothes shopping where YOU are the changer?

I appreciate all the feedback! :tiphat:
"When in doubt, EMPTY the magazine." - A Marine

"...gun control is always a scheme of the powerful to deprive the powerless of the right to self-defense." -- Ann Coulter 04/18/2012

NRA Member
CHL holder
CHL Instructor

Tbucher1218
Posts in topic: 1

Re: CHL, concealed carry and the wife...

Post by Tbucher1218 »

MO, if your wife is with you, shouldn't she know what you are shopping for and why? Thereby, just ask her what she thinks of "this" one and she can tell you yes or no and you will both know what y'all are talking about. :coolgleamA: again JMO
02/27/12 Online App
06/06/12 Plastic in Hand. 71 Days!

Topic author
Birdshot70

Post by Birdshot70 »

Tbucher1218 wrote:...if your wife is with you, shouldn't she know what you are shopping for and why?
Ahh, good point and that is an 'understood' I would have to make 'understood' going in...

"...gun control is always a scheme of the powerful to deprive the powerless of the right to self-defense." -- Ann Coulter 04/18/2012

NRA Member
CHL holder
CHL Instructor

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

I carry my EDC into the dressing room with me, try the shirt on, walk out to where my wife is (or she walks in to where I am) and show her the shirt......if she's with me. I don't see what the big deal is. Wear your gun. Try the shirt on. If you like it, buy the shirt. Go home. Put your feet up and call it a good day.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Topic author
Birdshot70

Post by Birdshot70 »

The Annoyed Man wrote:I carry my EDC into the dressing room with me, try the shirt on, walk out to where my wife is (or she walks in to where I am) and show her the shirt......if she's with me. I don't see what the big deal is. Wear your gun. Try the shirt on. If you like it, buy the shirt. Go home. Put your feet up and call it a good day.
I figure the shirt part will be easier than trying on pants...my concern is moving my EDC rig from one pair to the other with my belt and back again without issue.

Maybe this would be where 'practice' at home would be a good thing to do too.

Thanks! :tiphat:

NRA Member
CHL holder
CHL Instructor

DocV

Post by DocV »

You could always let the salesperson know you are unable try on your new pants before buying them and ask if you can return them if they do not fit. For pre-tailored trousers this has not been a problem for me.

kjolly

Post by kjolly »

Here I was thinking that's what mirrors are for. wife never notices when I'm carrying. she just assumes if I'm outside the house I am.
Texas CHL Instructor, NRA Certified Trainer, IDPA
NRA Range Safety Officer

http://www.tacticalpistol.us

Topic author
Birdshot70

Post by Birdshot70 »

kjolly wrote:Here I was thinking that's what mirrors are for. wife never notices when I'm carrying. she just assumes if I'm outside the house I am.
Yes, mirrors are handy. However I turn to see and the shirt pulls and I see it... :grumble

I did go and try on a few things this weekend. Never dropped the rig moving it from pants to shorts and back. Kept it holstered but laid it on the seat. Shirts will be no issue because it doesn't involve moving or removing anything. My concern was trying on pants and how best to keep concealed.

My wife was very good. she said 'good' or 'bulky' for "see" or "not see" respectively.

NRA Member
CHL holder
CHL Instructor

jmace57

Post by jmace57 »

Of course you could loudly ask your wife if you are "printing" and you might get some curious stares from people who will NOT be looking for a handgun! :???:

tomtexan

Post by tomtexan »

jmace57 wrote:Of course you could loudly ask your wife if you are "printing" and you might get some curious stares from people who will NOT be looking for a handgun! :???:
They will be looking for the HP Deskjet.
The laws that forbid the carrying of arms... disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.
NRA Life Member

TexasGal

Post by TexasGal »

Check to see that the dressing room door does not allow people to glimpse through the sides/slats, etc. I take some random garment in with me and hang it on the door to prevent that. Its good to make sure your gun is in a holster with good retention so it can't slip out during all the changing and go "clunk" on the floor. Nothing seems to make a sound quite like that along with the involuntary gasp, followed by a choice word. It tends to make the three year old in the next room crawl under the divider to see what's up. Don't ask me how I know :shock: :oops:
The Only Bodyguard I Can Afford is Me
Texas LTC Instructor Cert
NRA Life Member

Topic author
Birdshot70

Post by Birdshot70 »

TexasGal wrote:It tends to make the three year old in the next room crawl under the divider to see what's up. Don't ask me how I know
"rlol" "rlol" "rlol" ...and my kids used to be the ones who would do that!
:txflag:

NRA Member
CHL holder
CHL Instructor

Return to “New to CHL?”