The "What Works, What Doesn't," "Recommendations & Experiences"

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

Topic author
IluvTEA
Posts in topic: 4

New guy checking in from Abilene

Post by IluvTEA »

Hello,

This is my first time on this site, so I'll give a quick introduction...

I recently got stationed at Dyess AFB and I have to say that I'm really enjoying the Abilene area. Everyone is so friendly! I have been browsing through the forum and I have to say thank you for everyone and their wealth of knowledge! Anyways, I've been interested in getting a CCW/CHL for years but I've always been busy with TDYs and deployments. I figured I should just buckle down and get it done while I'm here and it certainally doesn't hurt that TX waives the fee for military.

I have a quick question... There seems to be a number of instructors in Abilene/Taylor County that offer the CHL class. Does anyone have any suggestions on which one to choose? I'd wouldn't mind going with the cheapest, but I'm not sure if it's a "you get what you pay for" type of purchase. Any insight would be appreciated!

Thanks again and I look forward to learning more from this site!
IluvTEA

Jaguar
Posts in topic: 1

Re: New guy checking in from Abilene

Post by Jaguar »

Welcome to the forum.

If you don't mind driving 2 hours, the gun club here in Mineral Wells will give military personnel and immediate family a very good discount (you will not find a lower price anywhere ;-) )

The instructor is Johan Stokman, and although his Dutch accent is thick, he is knowledgeable and you will learn a lot. My wife took the class with me and she liked him as well.

PM me if you are interested.
"I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution which granted a right to Congress of expending, on objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents." -- James Madison

Topic author
IluvTEA

Post by IluvTEA »

Jag,

Thanks for your help!

I was trying to gather interest from some guys at work and they informed me that one of our co-workers is a CHLI! I'm going to see if he will be able to give us a deal. If not, I'll definitely keep Mineral Wells in mind and I'll PM you.

Thanks again!

MasterOfNone
Posts in topic: 2

Post by MasterOfNone »

Jaguar wrote:Welcome to the forum.

If you don't mind driving 2 hours, the gun club here in Mineral Wells will give military personnel and immediate family a very good discount (you will not find a lower price anywhere ;-) )

The instructor is Johan Stokman, and although his Dutch accent is thick, he is knowledgeable and you will learn a lot. My wife took the class with me and she liked him as well.

Johan is a good choice. I assisted with one class he taught at the MW PD range. And he's a member of the Texas State Guard, so he gets extra points in my book.
http://www.PersonalPerimeter.com
DFW area LTC Instructor
NRA Pistol Instructor, Range Safety Officer, Recruiter

lancermit

Post by lancermit »

Hi! Former Abilenian here, having lived the first 35 years of my life there before moving to Austin.

My dad took his CHL class with the guy at Abilene Indoor Shooting Range (don't remember his name). And, Mike Herd teaches out of his private property out near Tuscola(?)

I can't vouch personally for either of them, however. My dad was neither impressed nor displeased with his class. And, I've only met Mike once. Seemed like a nice enough guy. (We went shooting at his range on his land.)
“You can get much farther with a kind word and a gun than you can with a kind word alone.” -Al Capone

http://www.lonestarguntraining.com

Topic author
IluvTEA

Post by IluvTEA »

MasterOfNone wrote: Johan is a good choice. I assisted with one class he taught at the MW PD range. And he's a member of the Texas State Guard, so he gets extra points in my book.
lancermit wrote:Hi! Former Abilenian here, having lived the first 35 years of my life there before moving to Austin.

My dad took his CHL class with the guy at Abilene Indoor Shooting Range (don't remember his name). And, Mike Herd teaches out of his private property out near Tuscola(?)

I can't vouch personally for either of them, however. My dad was neither impressed nor displeased with his class. And, I've only met Mike once. Seemed like a nice enough guy. (We went shooting at his range on his land.)

Thanks for the info guys! Much appreciated!

Topic author
IluvTEA

Post by IluvTEA »

Thanks for your help! :thumbs2:

Paladin

Post by Paladin »

MasterOfNone wrote:

Johan is a good choice. I assisted with one class he taught at the MW PD range. And he's a member of the Texas State Guard, so he gets extra points in my book.
This Johan Stokman?: TXSG video
JOIN NRA TODAY!, NRA Benefactor Life, TSRA Defender Life, Gun Owners of America Life, SAF, FPC, VCDL Member
LTC/SSC Instructor, NRA Certified Instructor, CRSO
The last hope of human liberty in this world rests on us. -Thomas Jefferson

MasterOfNone
Posts in topic: 2

Post by MasterOfNone »

Paladin wrote:
MasterOfNone wrote:

This Johan Stokman?: TXSG video
Yes, that Johan.
http://www.PersonalPerimeter.com
DFW area LTC Instructor
NRA Pistol Instructor, Range Safety Officer, Recruiter

Return to “New to CHL?”