Posts in topic: 2

Studying for CHL and have questions...

Post by SSgtWeasel »

Studying for CHL and have several questions please
Im reading the 2011-2012 publication
Going to class in Sep 12
Purchased Beretta PX4 storm 9mm full

I thought you can not carry in/around churches? PC §46.035

If I'm carrying in my vehicle and I have CHL do I follow the same procedures as if I dont have CHL? What does a CHL afford me?

If I'm carrying in my vehcile, I have CHL and I drive to elementary school to pickup my kids, is that legal? PC §46.03

If you reply, can you please reference where I can find the answers
Thanks everyone
CHL Holder

longtooth
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Studying for CHL and have questions...

Post by longtooth »

Welcome to the board.
All this should be cleared up for you in class. I am in a time tight so just the answers early.
Churches are off limits in 46.035. go way dowh to the exceptions. Churches, hospitals, ammusment parks & govt meetings are given exception "if you have not been given effective notice under 30.06"
That means they have to be posted w/ a proper 30.06 sign.

Class will clear up "Vehicle Carry" to. Motor vehicle protection act.

Kids taken to school. Legal. Permis means a building or a portion of a building, It does not include streets, parking lots sidewalks, walkways, garages.....

Good lookin leather. What do you ride???
Carry 24-7 or guess right.
CHL Instructor. http://www.pdtraining.us" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
NRA/TSRA Life Member - TFC Member #11

jmra

Post by jmra »

I wouldn't spend a lot of time "studying" for the class. The way the laws are written can cause a lot of confusion. If you have a good instructor he can guide you through the craziness of the regs. Once you have completed the class, get on here and verify everything you were told.
I had a great instructor who laid a great foundation but I have greatly built on that foundation thru this forum over the last few years. You will find it somewhat addictive.
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

chamuiel

Post by chamuiel »

As someone above said I would not study for the class. much of the terminology will confuse you. Just listen closely to what the instructor has to say, and you will be o.k. come test time. The questions are not really that difficult. It took me all of nine minutes to take the written test.

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

To each his own. People learn best in their own way. I "studied" by reading the DPS pamphlet numerous times prior to the class. I kept a list of questions that I would ask if the instructor did not cover.
NRA Endowment Member

RPB
Banned

Post by RPB »

most of this will be covered in class ... but the class I took didn't mention anything "Federal"

I learned some in class and a LOT on this forum.

I studied the DPS thingy before class too.. I've never learned much by listenin' ... I'm a reader but it was good that I listened in class ... because all that was on the test was covered plus more.
SSgtWeasel wrote:Studying for CHL and have several questions please
Im reading the 2011-2012 publication
Going to class in Sep 12
Purchased Beretta PX4 storm 9mm full

I thought you can not carry in/around churches? PC §46.035

You can if they are not posted with a proper 30.06 sign (see PC §46.035 (i) )
http://law.onecle.com/texas/penal/46.035.00.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
(i) Subsections (b)(4), (b)(5), (b)(6), and (c) do not apply
if the actor was not given effective notice under Section 30.06.

If I'm carrying in my vehicle and I have CHL do I follow the same procedures as if I dont have CHL? What does a CHL afford me? Quite a bit ... example ... You can, with a CHL, legally get out and fill your car/truck with gasoline wearing a concealed handgun.... stepping out of a car/truck at a gas station with a concealed handgun without a CHL is generally not legal (unless you own/reside at the gas station etc) Also, you can legally be carrying in a school zone with a CHL, and the 1,000 feet Federal school restriction doesn't apply after you have a CHL from the state where the school is located

If I'm carrying in my vehicle, I have CHL and I drive to elementary school to pickup my kids, is that legal? PC §46.03
2 things to consider, State and Federal laws.
Federal Gun Free School Zone Act. which provides a benefit of being specifically exempt from the Federal Gun Free School Zone Act on a Texas school Ground if you obtain a Texas License
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=55149&hilit=federal ... 15#p682119" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

and Texas law ... You can't go inside a school building even with a CHL but with a CHL you are ok in the parking lot and in the car... and
premises means the building or portion of the building and
PC §46.03. PLACES WEAPONS PROHIBITED. (a) A person commits an offense if the person intentionally, knowingly, or recklessly possesses or goes with a firearm, illegal knife, club, or prohibited weapon listed in Section 46.05(a):
(1) on the physical premises of a school or educational institution, any grounds or building on which an activity sponsored by a school or educational institution is being conducted, or a passenger transportation vehicle of a school or educational institution, whether the school or educational institution is public or private, unless pursuant to written regulations or written authorization of the institution;

If you reply, can you please reference where I can find the answers
Thanks everyone
I'm no lawyer

"Never show your hole card" "Always have something in reserve"

Topic author
SSgtWeasel

Post by SSgtWeasel »

Thanks all, appreciate the replies!

2002 Honda VTX 1800C spec2 with 2in1 sideburner :)
CHL Holder

sepiid

Post by sepiid »

avoid studying. the instructors will provide the "key information" for you during the day.

Skiprr

Post by Skiprr »

sepiid wrote:avoid studying. the instructors will provide the "key information" for you during the day.
I strongly disagree.

Will the instructor provide the information mandated by the TXDPS course material? Absolutely. Will the class give you the "key information" necessary to pass the written test? Absolutely.

But in no way should that mean you should avoid studying Texas and Federal law regarding firearms and concealed carry.

In fact, I'd recommend that every firearm owner study the statutes each even-numbered year, following the publication of changes from the prior Texas legislative session. It isn't a whole lot of text; the pertinent stuff amounts to about 40 pages. But, if you carry a gun, it's very important stuff.

Hey; you can never have too much ammo, or too much knowledge about using it.
Join the NRA or upgrade your membership today. Support the Texas Firearms Coalition and subscribe to the Podcast.
I’ve contacted my State Rep, Gary Elkins, about co-sponsoring HB560. Have you contacted your Rep?
NRA Benefactor Life Member

baldeagle

Post by baldeagle »

Rather than rewrite what I just wrote earlier, go read this: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=58991&start=45#p724390" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Short answer? Unless the church has a legal 30.06 sign, you can carry in a church (or synagogue or mosque).
The Constitution preserves the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation where the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms. James Madison
NRA Life Member Texas Firearms Coalition member

jmra

Post by jmra »

Skiprr wrote:
sepiid wrote:avoid studying. the instructors will provide the "key information" for you during the day.
I strongly disagree.

Will the instructor provide the information mandated by the TXDPS course material? Absolutely. Will the class give you the "key information" necessary to pass the written test? Absolutely.

But in no way should that mean you should avoid studying Texas and Federal law regarding firearms and concealed carry.

In fact, I'd recommend that every firearm owner study the statutes each even-numbered year, following the publication of changes from the prior Texas legislative session. It isn't a whole lot of text; the pertinent stuff amounts to about 40 pages. But, if you carry a gun, it's very important stuff.

I think everyone suggesting you don't study is talking preparing for the test. I don't think anyone is suggesting that you shouldn't ever research the regulations.
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

recaffeination

Post by recaffeination »

He took the class five or six weeks ago so it's a little late for him. But I agree not to study before class. It will only annoy you when the instructor says churches are off limits, and if you take communion you can't carry for the rest of the day because you had alcohol.

Study after the class while waiting for your plastic. Learn the actual law because your instructor won't be the one going to jail (or shot by a criminal) because you believed him.

sepiid

Post by sepiid »

Skiprr wrote:
I strongly disagree.

i was not insinuating not to study at all, but not to study for the test. i think most law abiding folks out there read up on the law and do there best to stay on the right side of it. i know i spent tons of time reading the laws and asking questions here and other places in regards to the "test" both written and practical, and was completely shocked at the simple questions and how easy the qualification was.

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

Skiprr wrote:
I strongly disagree.

:iagree: I have attended Charles Cotton's deadly force seminar four times and continue to learn new things every time.

Of course, I like learning about a lot of different things, not just CHL or gun stuff.
NRA Endowment Member

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

SSgtWeasel wrote:Thanks all, appreciate the replies!

2002 Honda VTX 1800C spec2 with 2in1 sideburner :)
Love the VTX. Almost ended up with one years ago.

Churches and the other places are not automatically off limits unless posted, like others have mentioned, but also beware of oral notice by someone with the authority to give that notice.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

Return to “New to CHL?”