The "What Works, What Doesn't," "Recommendations & Experiences"

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

RPB
Banned
Posts in topic: 4

Re: Insurance, yes or no?

Post by RPB »

BritOnTour wrote:Thanks for clearing that issue up!! :tiphat:

As i said, I did not agree with my instructor, but he held a very firm stance on his opinions of the CHL laws and was not open to any other opinions. At the time I accepted what he said, but still didn't fully believe him. However, since I had no intention of open carrying in my yard, i didnt make it an issue that would have interrupted the class. :boxing
I've met door to door salesmen like that; real persistent; it's their job to sell ;-)

My neighbors all wave and smile while I'm open carrying in the yard every day: I'm guessing they feel better about going to work and their home unattended if some guy with a gun is outside down the street as it may scare off burglars; some bring me home made bread, home made jellies , potato salad, spaghetti, barbeque etc ... friendly neighborhood, but I didn't sign up top be a neighborhood watch, which they do have a block away . I just need to get my yard in shape, my new driveway finished, a patio cover built, a carport and or garage a third shed built, trees trimmed, and ... I'm old and slow and retired so I go in and out work 20 minutes, rest a couple hours ... back out ... for years now. ... wave at the stranger driving down the road, might be a new neighbor who'll bring food .... or a criminal who'll leave now ... ... (In Central Texas hill country everyone waves at everyone; strangers (suspicious persons) don't wave back. been that way forever.)
I'm no lawyer

"Never show your hole card" "Always have something in reserve"

Valk
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Valk »

I live in the city in a very nice neighborhood, and I have a cop that lives across the street. He has security cameras all around his house. I wave friendly every time I see him and sometimes he waves back.

I would surely call it a test case if I were to open carry in my yard even though I have rights. There is no doubt in my mind that a call would go out by the first passerby and be dispatched as a 10-32 (in old code). I do know the meaning of test cases in law and am not trying to change anyone's mind.

I appreciate RBP’s knowledge and have learned from him.

sepiid
Posts in topic: 1

Post by sepiid »

i use [Pre-paid legal service]. i would rather take the chance that the 10 bucks a month will cover me in some way than not. plus at 10 bucks a month its worth the risk if it pays off in the end. IMHO

Oldgringo

Post by Oldgringo »

Check with your insurance agent about an Umbrella Liability policy.

AEA
Posts in topic: 2

Post by AEA »

In case anyone missed it in my post (in Waiting Room) about starting my 2nd renewal, I re-post part of my classroom experience from September 28th at a evening, renewal only class (of 7 Seniors) in North Texas:
AEA wrote:In the last 15 min of the 2nd hour, the instructor introduced a female salesperson for one of those prepaid Legal Services. I had a feeling this was going to happen as there was a large banner I noticed earlier on the wall of the classroom advertising this service ([Pre-paid legal service] - Houston, Tx).

As soon as the instructor completed his introduction of this salesperson (District Manager on her card) I asked "can I opt out of this"? The instructor said "you can, but it is part of the training". I replied "NO, it is NOT part of the required training" and the salesperson then said "YES, you can opt out". I stood up and walked out of the classroom with the instructor. The other six students remained.

Once outside the classroom, I informed the instructor further that TXDPS has come down on this marketing scheme and have stated that it is NOT to be part of the training. It can be promoted during a break for those that are interested, but it is not part of the class, not part of the training time and students MUST have the option to opt out of the presentation. I further informed him that TXDPS is planting "students" in classes to catch this activity by instructors and he looked at me and said "You"??? I said NO, I was simply informing him.

When it was over, I went back into the classroom and one of the other six in there told me "we should have left with you" and the others all laughed a little.
Last edited by AEA on Sun Oct 21, 2012 10:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Alan - ANYTHING I write is MY OPINION only.
Certified Curmudgeon - But, my German Shepherd loves me!
NRA-Life, USN '65-'69 & '73-'79: RM1
1911's RULE!

n5wd

Post by n5wd »

Oldgringo wrote:Check with your insurance agent about an Umbrella Liability policy.
An umbrella liability policy is only good if you or something you do causes someone else to be injured in/on your property. It does absolutely nothing for you if you are charged by the police after you use your weapon to save your life or the life of your family if they decide that you've broken the law. It does absolutely nothing to provide you legal assistance if you're asked to testify to a grand jury. And it does absolutely nothing for you if, God forbid, the district attorney actually decides to take you to trial. That's something that [Pre-paid legal service] (I am a policy holder) does for me that an umbrella liability policy won't do.

I know people that 'self-insure' their vehicle. They can afford it. I can't. I also have insurance on my home. Haven't needed it much, one claim in the last 12 years of owning our home, but if it burns down tomorrow night, I know the insurance is there and will at least help with repairing or replacing the home.

Insurance is for those folks that can't absorb the losses, themselves. If I have to use my weapon, I don't want to be spending the rest of the night finding a lawyer that will come and help me through the legal minefield that's going to be in my immediate future. All for $10 a month.
NRA-Life member, NRA Instructor, NRA RSO, TSRA member,
Vietnam (AF) Veteran -- Amateur Extra class amateur radio operator: N5WD

Email: CHL@centurylink.net

AEA
Posts in topic: 2

Post by AEA »

I don't have a problem with the insurance aspect. I have a problem with the sly way they market it thru Instructors in direct violation of DPS directives.

I was kinda thinking that the Instructor may stand by his statement "it's part of the training" and deny the issue of my CHL-100. There would then have been a big lawsuit against the Instructor, Gun Store (Training Facility) and [pre-paid legal].

DPS would be subpoenaed to state their policies/requirements and I would be rolling in the dough!

Then, we would no longer have this discussion topic every Month or so.
Alan - ANYTHING I write is MY OPINION only.
Certified Curmudgeon - But, my German Shepherd loves me!
NRA-Life, USN '65-'69 & '73-'79: RM1
1911's RULE!

Return to “New to CHL?”