Should my mother carry Shot Shell for defense?

The "What Works, What Doesn't," "Recommendations & Experiences"

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

Topic author
TREKFAN
Posts in topic: 2

Should my mother carry Shot Shell for defense?

Post by TREKFAN »

I am trying to convince my mother that it is a bad idea to carry shots shell. my reason is that I heard its used for small game and only effective in .45. And that it will be hard to prove that you were just trying to stop a threat versus kill when your before a grand jury.

Her argument is that she can miss if someone comes up to her car. She'd be carrying a .380 or 9mm.

Any help on why or why not she should carry this would be appreciated. :tiphat:
Application, Fingerprints & CHL class done by 1-12-13
All documents mailed USPS 1-16-13
All Documents Received, background check under review 2-1-13
Background check complete 2/15

troglodyte
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Should my mother carry Shot Shell for defense?

Post by troglodyte »

Since she is using a .380 or 9mm I will assume she is using semi-autos (although I know there are revolvers in 9mm).

Shot shells lack penteteration, as mentioned above, but they will also not cycle a semi-auto, rendering it to a single-shot and necessitating her cycle the slide after every shot. Not good.

I don't follow your "grand jury" argument???

In any case, shot shells are for rats and snakes. Hollowpoints are for bad guys. If she is justified to shoot them it doesn't matter what she shoots them with. Deadly force is deadly force.

Taurus does make a revolver that shoots .410 shells but I feel it is more of a solution looking for a problem than a viable self-defense gun. Don't get me wrong, I think a .45 or buckshot .410 can be a good deterent, just not practical in that platform.

EDIT- Misspelling
Last edited by troglodyte on Sun May 12, 2013 9:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Topic author
TREKFAN
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Should my mother carry Shot Shell for defense?

Post by TREKFAN »

troglodyte wrote:Since she is using a .380 or 9mm I will assume she is using semi-autos (although I know there are revolvers in 9mm).

Shot shells lack penteteration, as mentioned above, but they will also not cycle a semi-auto, rendering it to a single-shot and necessitating her cycle the slide after every shot. Not good.

I don't follow your "grand jury" argument???

In any case, shot shells are for rats and snakes. Hollowpoints are for bad guys. If she is justified to shoot them it doesn't matter what she shoots them with. Deadly force is deadly force.

Taurus does make a revolver that shoots .410 shells but I fell it is more of a solution looking for a problem than a viable self-defense gun. Don't get me wrong, I think a .45 or buckshot .410 can be a good deterent, just not practical in that platform.
I agree, thanks for the input. After showing her the posts here she finally believes me and is not going to carry shots he'll. grand jury argument may have just been a mis understanding on how things work in my part.
Application, Fingerprints & CHL class done by 1-12-13
All documents mailed USPS 1-16-13
All Documents Received, background check under review 2-1-13
Background check complete 2/15

Return to “New to CHL?”