Situational Awareness

The "What Works, What Doesn't," "Recommendations & Experiences"

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

Topic author
RetNavy
Posts in topic: 2

Situational Awareness

Post by RetNavy »

Being new to CHL (still waiting) think I'll pass on a lesson I learned.

Last week while at my barber shop noticed that they put in shoe shine stand. Nothing unusual you say..... This was AFTER I was in the shop for 30 mins. Plus walked right by a sidewalk sign advertising shoe shines. Lesson learned. My situation awareness needs to be improve while I can do it without carrying. ;-)
"Freedom itself was attacked this morning by a faceless coward. Freedom will be defended!"
-President George W. Bush, September 11, 2001

chasfm11
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Situational Awareness

Post by chasfm11 »

I strongly recommend "A Gift of Fear". The author [abbreviated profanity deleted] that book is clearly not supportive of citizens with guns but his ideas helped me put SA into a completely new light. I've always listened to the "little voice" inside me and I think that is stronger in some than in others. But over the past several years, I've learned to improve what I'm looking for rather than just looking.
6/23-8/13/10 -51 days to plastic
Dum Spiro, Spero

strider67

Post by strider67 »

It takes practice just like anything else. But before long, you'll have it down like nobody's business. I've always been a facing the door/head on a swivel kind of guy... :txflag:
"When things look bad and it looks like you're not gonna make it, then you gotta get mean. I mean plum, mad-dog mean. Cuz' if you lose your head and you give up then you neither live nor win...that's just the way it is." - The Outlaw Josey Wales

strider67

Post by strider67 »

chasfm11 wrote: I've learned to improve what I'm looking for rather than just looking.
chasfm11 makes a great point right there... :smash:
"When things look bad and it looks like you're not gonna make it, then you gotta get mean. I mean plum, mad-dog mean. Cuz' if you lose your head and you give up then you neither live nor win...that's just the way it is." - The Outlaw Josey Wales

Jason K
Banned

Post by Jason K »

I recommend TRAIL SAFE by Michael Bane. Excellent book on situational awareness and decision-making in stressful situations.

jbarn

Post by jbarn »

strider67 wrote:It takes practice just like anything else. But before long, you'll have it down like nobody's business. I've always been a facing the door/head on a swivel kind of guy... :txflag:

That is what I was going to write.

OP, when you go out, decide on one thing you are going to look for to practice. For example; today try to pay special attention to the proximity of people to you. Count the number of people who get within your personal space. How many get without striking distance. I am not saying to go into Ninja mode ;-) just make that your point of observation.

On another day watch people. Watch their waist line and see if you can pick out who is carrying.

My point is to train yourself to be more observant like you would anything else. It can be fun.
Texas CHL Instructor
Texas DPS Certified Private Security Classroom and Firearms Instructor
TCLEOSE Instructor (now TCOLE)

CoolBreeze

Post by CoolBreeze »

RetNavy wrote:Being new to CHL (still waiting) think I'll pass on a lesson I learned.

Last week while at my barber shop noticed that they put in shoe shine stand. Nothing unusual you say..... This was AFTER I was in the shop for 30 mins. Plus walked right by a sidewalk sign advertising shoe shines. Lesson learned. My situation awareness needs to be improve while I can do it without carrying. ;-)
Excellent topic!
The constitutions of most of our States assert that all power is inherent in the people; that... it is their right and duty to be at all times armed. -Thomas Jefferson
Never Shoot a Large Caliber Man with a Small Caliber Bullet
IANAL - Please do not assume anything in my posts is legal advice

Cjwglock19

Post by Cjwglock19 »

sbrawley wrote:Whenever I go out, I try to find the people who are carrying with no luck. Either not very many people carry or they are really good at concealing. Makes me wonder if I could be pointed out as carrying. :headscratch
:iagree:
"You can say 'stop' or 'alto' or use any other word you think will work but I've found that a large bore muzzle pointed at someone's head is pretty much the universal language."

- Clint Smith

budroux2w

Post by budroux2w »

CoolBreeze wrote:
RetNavy wrote:Being new to CHL (still waiting) think I'll pass on a lesson I learned.

Excellent topic!
:iagree:

This will be a fun one to read. I do my best to stay aware of things and usually do a decent job but I can always improve. Example, I have people come up to my desk at work randomly and every now and then they surprise me, usually when I'm reading this forum...
NRA Life Member

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

This is a perfect example of becoming complacent with your surroundings. You were going into a location where you knew the people there and felt comfortable, so you were not in condition yellow. One thing that may put you into condition white is no one else in the location was at alert for any unusual activity. However, they may be in white also and it may be a whole location of people who are off their guard and easy picking for a bad guy. I always try to be the one in yellow if possible. It takes lots of practice, but it can be achieved.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

Saffron

Post by Saffron »

Unless a shoe shine is more dangerous than I suspect, I don't know if not consciously noticing a show shine stand means he was in Condition White.
I do know my Bible, sir.

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

Saffron wrote:Unless a shoe shine is more dangerous than I suspect, I don't know if not consciously noticing a show shine stand means he was in Condition White.
Depends on what color polish they were using. :biggrinjester:

Jeff Cooper's condition levels are subjective and there is room for individual interpretation that varies from situation to situation and person to person. The whole thing is when you become comfortable in a location or situation it is easy to slip to condition white and easily overlook things that are happening. I know when I was a reserve LEO before I got my full commission you had to ride with a regular officer. It was very easy to lose situational awareness as you know the other officer is watching too. Similar to accidents in aircraft. I am aware of one fatality incident that occurred in a balloon with two pilots on-board. They each though the other had control of the aircraft and neither was 'flying' the balloon. The balloon got into a major descent and struck large power lines causing the balloon to catch fire and explode.

So, depending on your surroundings and level of trust in them, you may be able to be in condition white, with a slight tinge of yellow added.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

nightmare69

Post by nightmare69 »

When I go into a business I find all the exits and look for nearest consealment and cover. I always face the main entrance in a restaurant.
2/26-Mailed paper app and packet.
5/20-Plastic in hand.
83 days mailbox to mailbox.

jmra

Post by jmra »

nightmare69 wrote:When I go into a business I find all the exits and look for nearest consealment and cover. I always face the main entrance in a restaurant.
When we go out to eat I don't even have to say anything anymore. My kids will let the host know if the table is acceptable and the wife and kids always leave the right chair empty for me.
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

Return to “New to CHL?”